Spare Code ? Dump It here.

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989

Updated my bounce script (which got broken in the latest Release Candidate) now using < and > instead of NOT EQUAL TO.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Not sure if this kind of demo has been posted before, but I'll go ahead and attach a quick project I whipped up today. This demo shows you how to take a string and reverse it. This demo is pretty basic, but you could take it to the next level and add each reversed letter to a table cell, or something like that.

. . . . . . . .

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Drag to select and deselect demo.

A simple demo which demonstrates how to click and drag to select actors. You can also deselect actors by simply dragging back over them. This is an extension to the Connected Boxes demo which TShirtBooth created a few years ago.

. . . . . . . .

@RThurman said:
    Off-Center Rotations Using a Move Behavior

This demo shows how to rotate an actor around a different pivot point than its center. It uses a math expression in a Move behavior to determine what to do. (It uses the actor's angular velocity to keep track of just how fast to move in order to keep the actor's 'pivot point' in just the right place on the scene.)

No trig! Not a sin or cos to be seen in this method! I can't think of an easier way to have off-center rotations.

. . . . . . . .

@StormyStudio said:
    Updated my bounce script (which got broken in the latest Release Candidate) now using < and > instead of NOT EQUAL TO.

More excellentness ! Great stuff, all of it !!

edited April 2014

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Here's the project file that was used to create my mini video series on the new table functions. It also has some of the text functions in there. Just putting this out there for folks who aren't familiar with setting up these expressions.

Here's a cool demo. This demo shows you how to choose a random row from a table, and exclude that row from being picked the next time the game picks a row. Pretty neat and handy in some cases.

edited April 2014

Here's how to create a very basic word game using writable tables. A lot of people still use dozens of game attributes for word games. With the introduction of writable tables, all of those game attributes are no longer needed. Take a look and follow this tutorial to better understand how to use writable tables.

Download the project file -- All art is yours to use.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Percentage-based health bar

Here's a demo that allows you to change the "current hp" and "max hp" for a health bar while updating the bar length based on the percentage of the maximum hp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ume75dh55swxydx/percentage health bar.zip

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang‌ - Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@tatiang said:
    Percentage-based health bar

Here's a demo that allows you to change the "current hp" and "max hp" for a health bar while updating the bar length based on the percentage of the maximum hp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ume75dh55swxydx/percentage health bar.zip

Perfect for my boss battles - thank you, sir! :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Not really code, and maybe a "DUH" moment for many of you ... still, a neat thing to point out.

So, we have gotten so used to dropping an actor for each "Display Text" onto the scene that this may have been overlooked. The new positioning features of the "Display Text" behaviour allows us to just have one projector actor on the scene to do all displaying of text by including multiple "Display Text" behaviours into it.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Here's a cool demo. This demo shows you how to choose a random row from a table, and exclude that row from being picked the next time the game picks a row. Pretty neat and handy in some cases.

What a nice technique for random assignment. It looks like it will also work well for assigning random numbers in general (not only table rows). This is a very, very handy demo!

@RThurman said:
    What a nice technique for random assignment. It looks like it will also work well for assigning random numbers in general (not only table rows). This is a very, very handy demo!

Thanks. I saw a form of the expression here on the forums some time ago and simply converted it to work with tables. Works nicely!

Now that 0.11 is out I wanted to release this to the wild. I was going to do more individual demos the cover the new features in 0.11, but thought that this would be better as it combines some of the demos I was going to do. This demo is purely for the logic - I doubt you'd want to release a lock screen app. But hey, if you do, let me know. ;)

Features:

• Portrait cover flow
    • New table features
    • New text functions
    • Table match logic
    • Other cool and exciting things

Enjoy!

A very simple but helpful demo. This project detects the largest numeric value and will assign it to a new game attribute. No rules or anything fancy. This demo could easily be altered to detect the smallest value by substituting the Max() function for the Min() function.

Simple but helpful in some cases.

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

@Braydon_SFX thats cool :) thanks for sharing. (you also invented the endless battery for an iPad, check upper right corner in iPad lock screen ;) )

@Braydon_SFX is on fire, he's like a demo machine, some great stuff, pity I can't 'awesome' it :p

edited May 2014

@Socks said:
    Braydon_SFX is on fire, he's like a demo machine, some great stuff, pity I can't 'awesome' it :p

@Socks Awesome'd it for you. Why can't you awesome it?

@Braydon_SFX‌ Had no idea you could add more than two values to min() and max() functions... very handy. Thanks!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    Why can't you awesome it?

Braydon is jostling for 2nd/3rd place on the points All Time Leaders board.

@tatiang said:
    Awesome'd it for you.

Damn you ! Damn you to hell !!! Lol :D :p

P.S - notice how you jumped into 6th place this morning ? :wink:

@timolapre1998 said:
    Braydon_SFX thats cool :) thanks for sharing. (you also invented the endless battery for an iPad, check upper right corner in iPad lock screen ;) )

Yes, I did. After years of research. Lucky for you I released it for free.

@Socks said:
    Braydon_SFX is on fire, he's like a demo machine, some great stuff, pity I can't 'awesome' it :p

You no good....

@tatiang said:
    Braydon_SFX‌ Had no idea you could add more than two values to min() and max() functions... very handy. Thanks!

Awesome'd it for you.

My man. ;)

@Braydon_SFX said:
    You no good....

:) o:)

Just lol.

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    edited May 2014

@Socks I had a bit of a play with your starfield for some fun. Thought I would post it up so you can have a look.

Starfield! Warp 2.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkpw3ltp7o99pgj/StarfieldWarp2.0.zip

@matarua said:
    Socks I had a bit of a play with your starfield for some fun. Thought I would post it up so you can have a look.

Starfield! Warp 2.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj1u6woio5wvqa7/Starfield! Warp 2.0.zip

Dropbox always seems to have problems, only about 50% of Dropbox links ever work for me ! This one says:

Nothing Here

The file you're looking for has been deleted or moved.

@Socks said:

The file you're looking for has been deleted or moved.

Sorry dude, last night I was changing the file name as I was trying to figure out why I could not upload a .zip file to the forums when other users can.

I am pro so thought I could upload files as it has that option in the forums.

It seems the people previously who have uploaded zips in the thread have quotes in their footer and stuff I don't get either.

Just not privileged enough maybe?

Thought it could have been the filename and I was changing that, removing the ! and spaces etc.

I resorted in the end to use DropBox. With the original name. Not sure why it changed back to the safe name but maybe a stray undo command.

The link in the original message has been updated and will work.

Here it is again, my apologies sir, enjoy :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkpw3ltp7o99pgj/StarfieldWarp2.0.zip

@matarua said:
    The link in the original message has been updated and will work.

Cool ! Thanks for sorting it out, I'll take a look.

@matarua said:
    I resorted in the end to use DropBox. With the original name. Not sure why it changed back to the safe name but maybe a stray undo command.

All the weirdness with Dropbox is what made me abandon it last year, I think it's got some great features that you don't see elsewhere, but at the end of the day if you just want to reliably and securely and quickly move files around and share them it seems to be a bit hit and miss - about half the files (possibly more) of the GS forums that come via Dropbox download as folders or text files rather than GS files, you can try and stick the .gameproj extension on and this can often work, or sometimes I transplant the contents of the folder into a preexisting GameSalad file and that can often work too . . but at the end of the day why spend your time repairing missing extensions and confused files when there are lots of other free hosting sites that work as you'd expect them too (Mediafire is a great example).

@matarua said:
    Here it is again

Ha ! That's great ! : )

Just those few elements look like the makings of a great game ! You just need a left and right control and some enemies. :)

The HUD is really good.

@Socks yeah, I would say that comes down to how Windows sees a .gameproj file as a folder and I am not sure how Mac specific packages are treated at hosting level inside dropbox.

I personally have never had any issues with Dropbox and it has saved me from some accidental deletions or flattened PSD files that were not saved back in to layers.

I use it to work cross platform Windows/Mac as I use Adobe CC in Windows. It makes that workflow seamless which is great for me :)

@matarua said:
    Socks yeah, I would say that comes down to how Windows sees a .gameproj file as a folder . . .

Yeah, you might well be right, might be a Mac / Windows thing . . . .

@Socks said:
    The HUD is really good.

I just got that from Deviant Art and thought it would show what you can do with the starfield idea.

The game could be a simple tap to destroy 3D aliens.

Get some anaglyph action going on?

Plot lasers to your finger press.

Boom!

Game ala...

edited May 2014

@matarua said:
    I just got that from Deviant Art and thought it would show what you can do with the starfield idea.

Works really really well, it often only takes a couple of really compelling elements to make a game visually engaging (as the whole of the 1980s game industry knew).

@matarua said:
    The game could be a simple tap to destroy 3D aliens.
    Get some anaglyph action going on?
    Plot lasers to your finger press.
    Boom!

Runs off and - still naked and theoretically drunk - bashes furiously on the doors of the local patent office to register 'Flappy Aliens'.