Introducing the GameSalad Distribution Network

Comments

• Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Member, PRO Posts: 194
    Sounds potentially great!
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    edited January 2013
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • LLLLLL PRO Posts: 4
    awesome! will we be able to get analytics on this?!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Thinking about it now - You guys must have a server to push all of this new info to the apps right? Or are you updating each app with the new apps listed and included in GDN? A server seems more likely.
  • CORE GameCORE Game Member, PRO Posts: 280
    What ? Notifications ? I cant hear you well ..

• kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Great news.. would like to see a more stable and sound format of it..
  • dixondonalddixondonald Member Posts: 33
    I found this today when I tested out the new universal builds for one of my apps. I have to say I hate it. It's way too obstrusive and causes delays in the scene when it pops up. It is so bad that you'd almost have to design your game around it. Please think about letting us choose between this or playhaven. It could be fine for free apps, but I can't see releasing a paid app with this new system in place. I hate to rain on the parade, and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but that's how I feel about it.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    I found this today when I tested out the new universal builds for one of my apps. I have to say I hate it. It's way too obstrusive and causes delays in the scene when it pops up. It is so bad that you'd almost have to design your game around it. Please think about letting us choose between this or playhaven. It could be fine for free apps, but I can't see releasing a paid app with this new system in place. I hate to rain on the parade, and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but that's how I feel about it.
    Yep, I agree. (However, for a Free Game, I think its fine; I like how it promotes GameSalad Games)

This is the same problem as the PlayHaven Ads (prior to the More Games button).

For Paid Games, this will mess up reviews. People THINK that the developer is profiting off of ads in a game they paid for.

In iOS, people HATE to see Ads in a Paid Game...

I fear that paid games will see an alarming number of ONE-Star Reviews, for this reason only.... :(

Chakku
    I think it will negatively affect GameSalad for first-time users as well. If I had worked for months on a game, got it to where I wanted to test it on a device, paid my apple dev fee, and then saw this when I downloaded it from GS, I would not be pleased, and it would not convince me to go Pro. On the other hand, after using GS with the old 'more games' Playhaven ad and having a good experience with GS as a whole, I have recommended it to many people and planned on going Pro as soon as I could afford to. But that may be a while now though, because I won't be releasing any paid apps with this in place. I hope there are more people who share my opinion and we can get back the option to use Playhaven.
    @dixondonal

Yep, I hear you.

I've been working a while on my game, and am worried of releasing it as a paid game :(

I hope they allow choosing the More Games option

Chakku
    edited February 2013
    @SaladStraightShooter

I know this message is long, but I appreciate your reading.

(I 'Agree'D your post, by the way ;) )

So... just checking here... your thoughts on this are... "I spent all this time making my game for free and now they have the audacity to put a simple ad banner in my game?"

Actually, it is the change from a simple 'more games' button, to a more traditional ad.
    The More Games button actually did not seem like an ad (until you clicked on it), while this is clearly an ad on the outside and in.
    It is not present anywhere else in your title.
    Really? Is that so? I was mistaken all this time! I downloaded an Ice Cap Games Game (Gem Breaker), which had the ad appear every time I opened it from the multitasking bar :/
    this represents GameSalad and Ice Cap titles... whereas the old interstitial ads showed games that had nothing to do with GameSalad.
    I like the idea of the GameSalad Distribution Network :)

Glad to hear!

I fear this is quickly going to devolve into basic users stating we're ruining their ability to make money... on software they haven't paid a nickel for in most cases.

My fear as well, UNTIL I found out that this would NOT appear during random screen transitions, and when opened from the multitasking bar :)

Something else to keep mind - we voluntarily removed the interstitial Playhaven ads - Apple wasn't forcing anything.
    THANK YOU :D (Now those were horrible...would ruin many paid apps...)

The bottom line: GameSalad is a business. We adapt to not only serve our customers but to assure we are able to keep our doors open. Investing in the software is voluntarily - your being able to create games and sell them without investing anything in is a very powerful thing we provide - again, free of charge. This new service is a way for our developers to get more exposure - serving users who invested in the product.

Totally Agree.

(I hope to go PRO soon ;) )

This ad solution does not equal Playhaven fullscreen ads... not by a longshot.
    I think there is a misunderstanding here...neither I nor @dixondonald thought that these meant Playhaven fullscreem ads.

However, I was under the impression that these banners re-appeared randomly after screen transitions, and when the user opened the app from the multitasking bar
    (as this was what happened in Gem Breaker)

Thanks for replying
    Chakku
    It does not appear on the splash page. If that was all it was, then I would have no problem with it. And there is no reason it can't simply replace the 'more games' ad and only appear on the splash screen. It appears after the game is loaded, inside the game. It also appears every time you reopen the app, whether the splash screen shows or not. It also causes a slight delay in both cases. And your argument that 'I haven't paid a dime for the service so my opinion is worthless' is garbage, but it's good to know my voice is being heard and taken into consideration.
    edited February 2013
    It does not appear on the splash page. If that was all it was, then I would have no problem with it. And there is no reason it can't simply replace the 'more games' ad and only appear on the splash screen. It appears after the game is loaded, inside the game. It also appears every time you reopen the app, whether the splash screen shows or not. It also causes a slight delay in both cases. And your argument that 'I haven't paid a dime for the service so my opinion is worthless' is garbage, but it's good to know my voice is being heard and taken into consideration.
    @SaladStraightShooter

Can you confirm whether this is a one-time ad in the splash screen ( :) ), or does it really do what @dixondonald described ( :( )?

When I checked out Gem Breaker, it unfortunately acted the way @dixondonald described :(

PLEASE confirm...@SaladStraightShooter

Thanks
    Chakku
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    While GS continues to have its growing pains, and still has much room to improve, the one area where it has been very generous is where free users are concerned. As far as I know there isn't any other non-native sdk which allows free users to publish to the Apple Appstore. GS needs to monetize its service in some fashion. The traditional route would be to charge users to publish using an annual fee, other sdks such as Stencyl and YoYo do this with rates varying from $149-$199 a year (for iOS publishing, which is what we're comparing). The creative route, which allows all users to publish, is to include an ad system, as has been done here.

The opinions of free users aren't garbage, as it pertains to improving how GS functions. However, in the case of whether or not free users should be required to host ads, the opinion is of less value, because "ads make my game ugly" isn't a convincing argument to give free users a completely "no strings attached" software access. Though, I would renew a previous argument made, and suggest that GS offer another membership option, that being an option that includes iOS functions (and no forced ads), just like competitive plans. Let's just make it $149/year, to make it on par with GS competitors.

Another option is to cough up the $299. If you own an iPhone, then this amount shouldn't be too restrictive, as its only equal to about 3 months worth of service, and gives you access to Android publishing, which in my experience is much more beneficial than iOS publishing (Nook and Amazon are killer stores).
    edited February 2013
    You can't argue that the ads aren't more obtrusive than they were a month ago. That's stepping backwards and makes no sense, imo. Keeping them on the splash page and just replacing 'more games' with the new GS ads seems like a fine compromise.
    Here's a crazy thought. If you think your game is good enough to be sold for money buy the freaking pro license so you have control over the revenue streams its creating.

Where else on earth can you spend only $299 for software that has the potential to make 100's of thousands of dollars if not even millions? If you can't afford it for what ever reason then just invest in the experience and knowledge and save your pennies until you can. You could litterally put 1 penny in a jar every day and in only a year have saved enough for pro.

Stop complaining about how a company that needs money to survive is making money when your only contribution to thier revenue is using the free version of thier software.
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    You could litterally put 1 penny in a jar every day and in only a year have saved enough for pro.
    Who's your accountant? Remind me not to hire him :P
  • DanDaMan123DanDaMan123 Member Posts: 216
    Hey wait so any game released with gamesalad, including my own and those from the community, would be shown on the ads? Or only icecap games?
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    Just a quick question, by all means I am going pro, but there is a choice if we want this isn't there it were PRO users. Just wanted to confirm.

However I would say that it currently sounds like ICE CAP games are getting a big promotion package here. Smart move take advantage of the free users. Because when I play a game it had three ice cap games and two other games, Bumps and spooky hooves, so my bet is that it will favor those games made by ice cap games. So I think GS has done a bold and really smart thing to do. It gives coverage to thier games giving them more players and more players for other people games to be featured, even if it's just two at a time ;)

But just to recap, great idea but wanted to make sure it get be turned in and off by pro users. Do they have a choice to implant it.
    Thanks
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    Looks like the dead horse has been wheeled out again.

I know this has already been said but I think it's worth going over this again.

If you won't beg, borrow or steal for the $299 dollars to go Pro then you cannot have any faith in your game to deliver sales.
    hobbies cost money, businesses cost money.
  • carlblanchetcarlblanchet Member Posts: 755
    Fantastic news! This will be a great addition and I can't wait to incorporate it in my games! :)
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    Where else on earth can you spend only $299 for software that has the potential to make 100's of thousands of dollars if not even millions? If you can't afford it for what ever reason then just invest in the experience and knowledge and save your pennies until you can. You could litterally put 1 penny in a jar every day and in only a year have saved enough for pro.
    . . . . actually if you were saving a penny a day it would take you almost 82 years.

[/pedantry] :))
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    edited February 2013
    How about giving free users some choice in how the ads are displayed? If you can customise the look of it in a way that you feel suits your game - this will probably alleviate some of the concerns...?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Buy Pro this isn't Mother Teresa's orphanage for wandering developers, it's a business that has bills. I love it when free users give GS business advice, yet they can't or won't fork over money to invest in their own venture. As I say, game making for everyone yes, business for everyone, no.
  • mrpacogpmrpacogp Member Posts: 400
    Very interesting, i have to move to trending thread on my folder :P
    edited February 2013
    Haha don't know what I was thinking with the penny thing. I was pretty tired and annoyed at the complaining. :P

It's probably pretty safe to say I meant a dollar. Lol
  • marc_greiffmarc_greiff Member, PRO Posts: 250
    @SaladStraightShooter

Hi, I'm not commenting on controversy of this thread, but I did want to confirm that what @donaldixon is saying about the bar appearing after the splash screen and delay is also true in my case. I've noticed this on all of my games that I have tested thus far via ad hoc builds. Could this be something specific to ad hoc and not app store builds? If you like, I can post a video of the bar appearing post splash screen and the 2 second delay.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    GO PRO OR STFU
    Very constructive. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.
    Where did he say that?