Introducing the GameSalad Distribution Network

13»

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    GS gives away their software, as they say "no good deed goes unpunished"..lol
  • dixondonalddixondonald Member Posts: 33
    @SaladStraightShooter

Hi, I'm not commenting on controversy of this thread, but I did want to confirm that what @donaldixon is saying about the bar appearing after the splash screen and delay is also true in my case. I've noticed this on all of my games that I have tested thus far via ad hoc builds. Could this be something specific to ad hoc and not app store builds? If you like, I can post a video of the bar appearing post splash screen and the 2 second delay.
    I'm not alone! I'm not crazy! Validation!

Seriously though... I didn't think that maybe the issues I mentioned(which went wholly ignored in favor of telling me to cough up the money for pro) are only present in ad hoc builds. That would still kinda suck as far as testing goes, but would be a lot better than what I experienced showing up in a distribution copy.
  • marc_greiffmarc_greiff Member, PRO Posts: 250
    @SaladStraightShooter

Some additional information that may be of use to you and perhaps others, I'm running;

GS 10.1
    ipod 4th gen, with ios 6.0.1 (which I realize at this point is probably a low end device)
    xcode 4.5.2
    game size is about 3mb in GS creator, 7mb when converted to .app, and the first scene runs at about 49mb.

I Hope this helps.

~Again, I'm not commenting about the validity of GSDN, my only concern is the tech.
  • dixondonalddixondonald Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    The delay occurs, from my testing, on iphone5, iPhone4, and ipad2. And I'm guessing it always displays AFTER the splash screen. If it does just say it and quit repeating the contrary.

And I wouldn't be acting so abrasive(apparently people think im being a dick) but I'm getting no feedback on the matter other than people telling me to go pro or go home. That doesn't help and you're not saying anything I don't already know. I'd love to go pro and I have plans to, but it's just not feasible for me at the moment.

So excuse me for expressing my opinions and concerns on the matter. I guess that's not welcome discussion here unless you're already a pro member.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    There is some good constructive criticism going on here, and It's encouraged, but baiting and projecting are taking things in a bad direction, and somebody is going to eventually close this thread if it keeps straying from the constructive. Hopefully we can keep this conversation positive and productive.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @SaladStraightShooter
    @SlockZero

Why were my comments removed :/ ?
    edited February 2013
    @SaladStraightShooter

But why? :/

Were they offensive, or untrue lies...?

I don't understand :/
    @Chakku - because you were rehashing the same thing we'd already discussed. And the comments (from various sources) that followed weren't really productive for anyone.
    Ahhhh, ok!

However I will repost the photos, as they were helpful for visual comparisons.

Chakku

OLD-

NEW-

Chakku
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    edited February 2013
    I just want to get this straight.

I just bought pro, so when I post my app, it will no ads in it whatsoever (unless I choose to use iAds). Is this correct?

And even after 'stage two' it is still optional? I don't want to pay 300$ for software that forces me to put ads before, especially, my paid apps. While it being other GameSalad games make it cool, it does not negate it.

Thanks,
    - Thomas

Edit: Also, when Stage Two comes, do we have to pay to have our apps advertised? How will it work?
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    @SaladStraightShooter - perhaps I missed this...when does GS actually start taking submissions?
  • SirioGarciaSirioGarcia Member Posts: 52
    Good News!
  • GappsoftGappsoft Member Posts: 22
    I believe that this program needs tweaking. I tried submitting my application as a free user (so I can't turn the Gamesalad Network off) and after a day of "in review" both of my applications got rejected. The message that Apple provided was:

We found that your app includes a feature, or features, that mimic an iOS interface or behavior, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, your app displays rounded icons similar to the rounded icons found on the iOS springboard after the user launches the app.

Please see the attached screenshot for reference to the issue.

It would be appropriate to remove or revise these features to make them distinctly different from the iOS behaviors and interfaces to avoid causing user confusion. While the guideline specifies iPod interfaces, the spirit of the guideline includes all iOS interfaces and behaviors.

They provided a screenshot but I can't manage to post it here. @SaladStraightShooter is there a workaround here or do I have to go pro?
    @SaladStraightShooter

I think the issue that @Gappsoft posted could be serious!!

I command you to look into it at once! ;)

Sincerely,
    King Chakku
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    edited February 2013
    Im pretty sure GameSalad got a special approval from Apple for this program so its most likely a reviewer who thinks their job is to be an a$$ instead of look at more important things like its the app a rip off of another or something even close to halfway worthwhile. Sometimes you get a jerk reviewer. have you tried resubmitting it?

Also its after 5pm central which is when most of the GS guys go home to there families. so I would not get all huffy about not getting an instant response until they have at least ignored you for 1 full business day @chakku ;)
    edited February 2013
    @tendrmr
    Good Point, but I await news from @SaladStraightShooter.

Sincerely,
    King Chakku
    edited February 2013
    @Chakku - you can't just dub yourself King

@SaladStraightShooter

I take it that you haven't met my Hyenas yet...

Here, let me introduce them!!

I sincerely hope, for your own good, that you change your attitude! ;)

King Chakku

• ingenious.applicationsingenious.applications Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2013
    I agree with those that are not upset with this change. If what is said is true and the banner only (briefly) appears when the app is launched/reloaded, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you do not yet have the money (like me) to dump into the pro version, then you could always put something along the lines of "ad removal" for future updates in the app's description and when you earn $300 from your app, go pro and take it out. If you app does not generate at least $300, then there is most likely other reasons why.

I have not personally seen either the playhaven or this new add in action, but from what I've read, they don't seem to be too intrusive.
  • jdgouldjdgould Member, PRO Posts: 114
    I have read through this thread a couple of times and can't seem to figure out how it will work in regards to balance. If I put the GS Network Banner and display others games, will my game also be shown the same amount of times. For example, do I earn credits each time I show another developers Icon and therefore, they have to show my Icon as well. Can someone help me understand how this will balance out.

For example if I have 1,000 downloads per day and therefore showing the banner at least 1,000 per day, will my Icon be shown in other Apps 1,000 times?
    @jdgould

NO. This is currently only open to pre-determined apps by GameSalad, and will later be opened to other outstanding GameSalad-made apps. And those apps will mostly be from pro members, although it is possible for a free user to get their app featured, especially if it has won the GameSalad Game of the Month Award.

Chakku
  • jdgouldjdgould Member, PRO Posts: 114
    edited February 2013
    @Chakku

That is too bad... I am a pro member and one of my games is doing really well in iTunes right now. I personally love how Chart Boost works and everyone using ChartBoost is able to take advantage of the Network by either exchanging interstitial ads or running campaigns and promoting other developers games for profits. I was hoping the GS Network would work the same way. By doing so, they games that incorporate ChartBoost do really well in ranks because they are getting so many downloads from the free cross-promotion. It would be great if the GS Network worked the same way. I am really curious to see how they determine if an App is worthy of being in the network.

If there are any pro members ranked in the top 100 Games/Kids at iTunes who might want to cross promote via a More Games button on the main scene, let me know jdgould44@me.com
  • notthedreamnotthedream Member Posts: 23
    Can't wait for phase 2.
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited February 2013
    Hey do I get some credit for GDN? (joking of course) :)

...I mentioned the idea here:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/48424/more-for-gamesalad-more-power-to-the-user-session

This is the text from the original post:
    "Howabout an internal ad system for GS games. So GS games advertise other GS titles and revenue is shared from a referred sale. Basically a GS Playhaven I guess.
    Benefit:
    GS builds a tighter/financially bonded community of developers who directly help each other. We all stay using the tool and benefiting from each others commitment to the platform."
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited February 2013
    I really dont know why GS is free in the 1st place and we've always said it would be far more beneficial for GS to do a 1 price for all strategy.

Free just encourages crap being pumped out for a fast buck and harming the engines reputation imo.

Lets face it if you can afford the $99 apple licence you could probably afford to buy GS if it was $199.

1 build for all with 1 fixed price is the best way to keep the doors open at GS and also as i already mentioned in another post your sitting on a gold mine with the marketplace but as yet we have not received one email regarding these valuable assets.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Darren.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2013
    Darren I can tell you how much I totally agree!!!! I've been saying this as well for years. Heck, I'd work for GS running that marketplace for no salary and take a cut of the revenue increase I generate. I know it could be turned into a money machine. First you set up a better market even if hosted off site there are tons. Lose the internal load from GS software. Second I would remove the crap on there and recruit people with proven talent to make stuff and send them updated requests for particular types of things. This isn't rocket science, it's straight business marketing 101. I scratch my head over this all the time. Get rid of the free and charge for your software, you're not Google. GS has stopped acting like a startup. People in a startup live breath and sleep the company and I don't see that anymore. Like when the servers went down for 12 hours because everyone had gone home. What is up with that? If that was my company I would have been embarrassed and pissed and heads would have rolled. Coming from a family of successful business people. My father made million in business, I can tell you this is not how it's done. I worry GS will run out of cash flow.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    I really dont know why GS is free in the 1st place and we've always said it would be far more beneficial for GS to do a 1 price for all strategy.

Free just encourages crap being pumped out for a fast buck and harming the engines reputation imo.

Lets face it if you can afford the $99 apple licence you could probably afford to buy GS if it was $199.

1 build for all with 1 fixed price is the best way to keep the doors open at GS and also as i already mentioned in another post your sitting on a gold mine with the marketplace but as yet we have not received one email regarding these valuable assets.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Darren.
    I reckon GS should have worked more closely with Darren and Wayne a long time ago. They clearly understand the GS audience.

(No idea how much the GS store is making or how much DBA is making, but I'd be willing to bet DBA is doing more)

Having said that, I'm happy for GS staff to concentrate on making great software and not spread themselves too thin with a hundred different tangent projects.

This new GS network thing is a great idea. Said it before but GS is so lucky to have an audience as engaged and energised as the people on this forum. So making tools to help all the GS devs cross promote each other - this is excellent. Everyone around here knows that making a good game is only half the challenge. Getting players to actually know about your game... is perhaps harder.

I'd welcome other initiatives like this. Not necessarily tech based. PR based is fine too!
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823

Just my 2 cents worth.

Darren.
    I reckon GS should have worked more closely with Darren and Wayne a long time ago. They clearly understand the GS audience.

(No idea how much the GS store is making or how much DBA is making, but I'd be willing to bet DBA is doing more)

Having said that, I'm happy for GS staff to concentrate on making great software and not spread themselves too thin with a hundred different tangent projects.

This new GS network thing is a great idea. Said it before but GS is so lucky to have an audience as engaged and energised as the people on this forum. So making tools to help all the GS devs cross promote each other - this is excellent. Everyone around here knows that making a good game is only half the challenge. Getting players to actually know about your game... is perhaps harder.

I'd welcome other initiatives like this. Not necessarily tech based. PR based is fine too!

I like you, I always thought because they work with Darren and Wayne, GS would be infinitely better, would the plugin inserted into the software, and much more!
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    The only way anyone would know that all that "junk" you point to is made with GameSalad is if they outright said "Made with GameSalad"... which, unless they try hard, doesn't happen anymore.
    I'm afraid we've still got that loading symbol. But maybe not in the new engine? If we could edit the loading symbol, then your statement would be correct. :D

- Thomas