Very Simple Quiz Game (PAID)

Hi,

I am looking to create a very simple quiz game in Game Salad. I can provide all the key graphics for the game except perhaps typical quiz graphics (i.e. borders, count down timer etc). I have noticed that there is already a quiz template here but I am looking for a little extra functionality, namely an email collection form.

Other than that the quiz is extremely simple, 12 questions about London.

If anyone thinks they can help here it would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Glyn

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Hi there,

GS doesn't have the ability to send you emails from your users. Sorry!
  • glynhubbleglynhubble Member Posts: 3
    Ah how frustrating. I am surprised there is no work around for this given the inclusion of a marketplace system
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    Hi there,

GS doesn't have the ability to send you emails from your users. Sorry!
    @Braydon_SFX

I thought the OpenURL behavior included a 'mailto' feature, which would let his users send him their emails?
    :/

Chakku
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited February 2013
    I don't think it contains a feature like that. If I remember correctly, users were saying you might be able to enter a gmail.com URL and it would open and they could log in. You might be able to do that, but what would the email contain? How would the app know which email service the customer uses? If I was going to send an email that way, and it didn't choose my current email service, I'd give up and close it altogether. That's just me, however, others might decide to type it in, log in etc.
    I don't think it contains a feature like that. If I remember correctly, users were saying you might be able to enter a gmail.com URL and it would open and they could log in. You might be able to do that, but what would the email contain? How would the app know which email service the customer uses? If I was going to send an email that way, and it didn't choose my current email service, I'd give up and close it altogether. That's just me, however, others might decide to type it in, log in etc.
    @Braydon_SFX

Yeah, I do agree with that, but if @glynhubble wants to do it that way, it's better than nothing! :p

Chakku
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    I am currently coding quiz/trivia games for two clients. I can't include email form functionality, but if you'd still like to build this app, let me know.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• glynhubbleglynhubble Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

I wasn't asking to send an email...rather I'm just looking to create a database from people inputting their email at the end point of the quiz. I see there is a table function, could this not be used to simply create a database of names?

Glyn
    Hi there,

I wasn't asking to send an email...rather I'm just looking to create a database from people inputting their email at the end point of the quiz. I see there is a table function, could this not be used to simply create a database of names?

Glyn
    @glynhubble

Yes it could, but there is no way to export that data from the app, currently :(

Your best bet would be to have the users email you their email addresses, and create a mailing list with that.

Hope this helps
    Chakku
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2013
    Has anyone tried including a subject line in the mailto expression and including an attribute within the subject? I see an old thread (http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/34615/0-9-85-openurl-bugs-again) about it but I'm curious if it's been fixed.

Edit: nevermind. That would be a horrible way to gather data. Here, type in your email address. Tap this button. Setup Mail if you haven't yet. Click Send. @Braydon_SFX is right.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• wirelesstkdwirelesstkd Member Posts: 75
    I don't know a lot about programming (and doing this is probably more hassle than it's worth, even if it would work), but would it be possible to set something up on your server to take a URL and log data from it. So, for example... if a user put his e-mail address in a box as abc123@gmail.com, could gamesalad open up a URL like, "www.myURL.com/emailcollection/abc123@gmail.com", where that website knows to take any data after the "...emailcollection" part and input it in its own internal database?

Like I said, it's probably more trouble than it's worth because of the coding necessary on the server side of things, but hypothetically, would that do what the OP is asking?
    @wirelesstkd

No, because the OpenURL behavior does not currently have expression editor.

If it did, there could be some interesting possibilities...

Chakku
  • wirelesstkdwirelesstkd Member Posts: 75
    @wirelesstkd

No, because the OpenURL behavior does not currently have expression editor.

If it did, there could be some interesting possibilities...

Chakku
    Jeez - I know I'm new, so I will try to limit my complaining, but it really seems like GameSalad has a long way to go when it comes implementing core features. Communicating data to the developer seems like a critical feature :-/
    @wirelesstkd

GameSalad is a powerful tool that allows rapid game development via easy-to-use behaviors...but I totally agree with you!!

GameSalad is good for making some games, but communicating data would really allow for some powerful games.

I could do some neat stuff if we had that ;)

Chakku