State of GameSalad on 6-12-2013

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hrmm... Since tables can be transferred to other players with this, does this mean the backbones of icloud saving might be around the corner? I know it's two different things, but...
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Yup I have some games ready to go and I dont know whether to hold off for stretch and go universal or release separate versions. I'd rather go UB, is this likely to be introduced sooner rather than later? It doesnt seem like it would be a huge thing to do, we did once have the stretch after all
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    @beefy_clyro its going to be a few weeks till I can get to implementing stretch. I currently have a lot on my plate I am working through before I can get to the stretch feature.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @CodeWizard

Is there/what is Async's brand, if you are allowed to tell us! :D

Chakku
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @CodeWizard

Chakku
    I have a funny feeling its called GameSalad
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @CodeWizard

Chakku
    Did you mean the servers hosting it, or the third party that is making GS get Async done?
    - Thomas
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited June 2013
    @snapfirestudios @-) async is short for a synchronization multi player not a brand. GS will be doing all the coding and will determine who will store and handoff the data. No secrets here just unknowns.
  • lebiscuitlebiscuit Member, PRO Posts: 220
    cool
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    edited June 2013
    @snapfirestudios @-) async is short for a synchronization multi player not a brand. GS will be doing all the coding and will determine who will store and handoff the data. No secrets here just unknowns.
    @FryingBaconStudios - I know that, which was why I was trying to clarify what Chakku was asking about a "Brand" as it didn't make any sense to me either.
    - Thomas
  • funkyj4everfunkyj4ever Member Posts: 74
    What about windows creator? Any updates for that soon? I don't like making things on mac os.
    @FryingBaconStudios
    @SnapFireStudios

Yeah, Snap is right. I was asking whether this would be completely done by GS, or if they are implementing an existing service into GS. In other words, are they adding proprietary multiplayer, or an already-established service. I believe the answer to that is that its their own, but there has not been any official clarification (that I've read, at least).

Chakku
  • K1dTrunksK1dTrunks PRO Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    @CodeWizard - Great work! Can't wait for the next creator release. I have a small feature request though. GameSalad could really use a way to make an actor movable but unable to be moved - in other words, the actor could move itself and collide with other actors but it couldn't be pushed around by other actors through physics (like Stencyl's "cannot be pushed" option).

For example, the other day I started building a sort of endless platformer. To make it truly endless, I made it so the platforms move rather than the player (by constraining their linear velocity). But once I set the platform actor to moveable, they shift around upon collision with the player. Even setting the density to a very high number does not solve the problem completely. This game depends highly on collisions between the player and the platforms, so even the slightest shift of the platforms makes the game unplayable. I even set the platform's density to 40,000+ AND constrained its y position and it can still be budged. Adding a "can be pushed" boolean would make this so much easier.

If you guys could add this that would be great :D

• Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206
    @CodeWozard and @BlackCloatGS why are you guys so selfish...

Have you even thought about those of us who don't have any friends to even use it, let alone test it. Unless you guys are willing to give up your time to be my test buddies, I say just drop development of async multiplayer now and work on something more benifitical for my selfish needs like automatic AI. That would solve the no friends issue and means less time you guys have to spend Playing my game with me. Win win for everyone :p

It's all happening so fast it's affecting my head. Can't wait and Keep up the work :)
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Member, PRO Posts: 98

I say just drop development of async multiplayer now and work on something more benifitical for my selfish needs like automatic AI.
    I vote for a 'cats for apps' program. We make an app, they (GS) sends us a cat. If you are a pro member then the cat comes with props needed to make a meme. lol.

So for async, each player gets a table? Is it possible to have 1 table that they all share? this would make board/card games possible/much easier to make.

• floydianspiralfloydianspiral Member, PRO Posts: 308
    It seems you're heading onto implementing async in the upcoming weeks and don't get me wrong, I'm all for that, it would be great for GS! However, while I understand you are looking for bottlenecks and loading issues continually, is there ever gonna be a way for GS to load a huge scene with hundreds of rules, sounds, and artwork in less than 15 (hopefully 8) seconds? To me, the version released with the new lua interpreter that cut load times in half is kinda what I'm talking about. I realize that interpreter caused other problems and it had to be changed back, so I'm asking if GS will ever get to a point where it has better load times like that but is actually stable @codewizard? How are everyone else's BIG projects loading and performing? I would personally still like to see major improvements to the engine, load and performance before something as big as async multiplayer gets shifted to the forefront. Thoughts anyone?
    Our recent release puck it was huge code wise and image sounds et.. And load times were fine. I don't know what you're doing that takes 15 seconds to load. He'll puck it had hundreds of rules over 5mb of sound and large amounts of art as the main gameplay is all on one main scene. I've never seen 15 seconds.
  • OpenFlo_StudioOpenFlo_Studio PRO Posts: 32
    It is amazing all the new improvements coming down the pipeline recently. i just got started with GameSalad a couple of months ago and I think it is amazing.
    @FryingBaconStudios I like puck it! Especially the reactive announcer, but it's nowhere near as big as the scenes I'm talking about (I counted 10 second load to your game on my iPad 2 btw). My particular platformer music game has probably over 200+ sound rules per level and the levels are quite big with numerous actors/rules. I'ts been optimized as much as possible and the first load is still sometimes 20 seconds. I was wondering if everyone had seen a significant load reduction in nightly builds like we had in build 10.2 (? I think that was the one they used a different lua interpreter) as that's the type of speed I expected GS to get to (with stability).
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited June 2013
    @floydianspiral wav file support (currently in the nightly build) did lower load time a lot for iOS. Have you tried using wavs for some of your sound to see if it helps decrees load time? Also i am currently working one tga image support which should lower load times for images.
    @BlackClockGS I'm in a conundrum because my game is already 150mb, and 90% of that is sound. I have approximately 1000+ sounds and I've always bounced to wav so I have all of them uncompressed and am going to go through tomorrow and change out all the oggs. It's going to take a while but after that I will let you know the difference. The thing I'm worried about is that it will probably triple/quadruple the size of my game. Regardless it will be a fun exercise to see how fast a game scene loading 200-400 sounds does. I'll get back to you sometime mid week to let you know my findings.
    @floydianspiral I do get you're point and They are working on ways to speed it up. I can sympathize with you as I had to sacrifice a few things for the iPhone version of Puck it to get it under 50mb. It's a tricky balance. What I can tell you is we didn't get any complaints or comments as to load times. Even with high power console games there are load times so I don't worry much about it. If you put up a loading banner like we did with Puck it and use music not sound for the BG music the music keep playing during the load. it's my opinion if you have a big game and not a minute burner type of game I wouldn't be overly worried about load times.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2013
    @snapfirestudios @-) async is short for a synchronization multi player not a brand.
    It's kind of the opposite to that, 'async' is short for 'asynchronous' rather than 'a synchronization' and is partly defined by it's lack of (external) synchronization.

The 'a' in 'async' denotes 'without' (so without synchronisation) - the same way that the 'a' in 'atheism' means 'without' theism.
    I think the point although technically incorrect the spirit of it was, it is a term and not a brand of software made by some third party.
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Really excited about ASYNC Multiplayer. Awesome.
    I think the point although technically incorrect the spirit of it was, it is a term and not a brand of software made by some third party.
    I was only pointing out the technical error.
    @socks as I've said before I'm dyslexic so sometimes my written stuff isn't perfect be thankful you don't have such a disorder and can be so precise. It's both a blessing and a curse.
    @socks as I've said before I'm dyslexic . . .
    No need to apologise, just pointing out that 'async' is short for 'asynchronous'.
    @socks as I've said before I'm dyslexic so sometimes my written stuff isn't perfect be thankful you don't have such a disorder and can be so precise. It's both a blessing and a curse.
    @FryingBaconStudios
    I truly mean no offense at all, but how would having dyslexia be a blessing? :/

Chakku