Possible Bug? Sound Effects cutting out...

bluelotusbluelotus Member Posts: 96
I am currently experiencing a strange problem. After 16 seconds the sound effects completely stop working.
-I have tested this in the viewer, the scene preview, and a device and it is consistant across the board.
-I have no rule or timer that sets the "devices.audio.sound volume" to zero in the scene.
-When testing in the viewer I added a 'display text' in an actor with "devices.audio.sound volume" and it shows no change when the sounds cut out.
-In the viewer if I press the reset button on the top, the sounds remains off after the reset. I have to hit the 'Home' button in the GS menu and restart the preview to get the sounds back.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• StarmuteStarmute Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2013
    I would think it's a bug. Try creating another game and testing it to see if it's just GS. You could also post a dropbox link for me to test.
  • EOSEOS Member Posts: 74
    I'm actually having a similar problem but haven't looked into it too much yet so I can't really help you. I notice my music still plays, but the sound effects stop after about 30 seconds or so.

I've also been told by one of my beta testers that the sound does not work at all on their iPad 2 in adhoc mode - not sure if this would be related or not.
  • Michael31Michael31 Member, PRO Posts: 2
    I'm also having a similar problem. Music still plays in each level but all the sound effects stop after a few minutes into the game. Anyone work out what the problem was or how to fix it?
  • Yes Please GamesYes Please Games Member, PRO Posts: 21
    I'm having a similar problem. Did you also play with the sound files in the gs project file? I started experiencing problems after compressing the ogg in the sounds folder in the gs project file. No luck fixing it yet. Problem occurs around 5 mins into the game. Music still plays but all sound effects disappear, even after changing scene. Need to quit and restart game for sound to come back
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • CatGoneCrazyCatGoneCrazy Member, PRO Posts: 90
    I have a similar problem in Bulletrisk. The sound for the ship getting destroyed works for about 10 minutes and then doesn't fire. It only happens at Game Over status, so not all the time. Seems to then stick 'broken' until I close the game in the iOS taskbar and then it's fine for a bit more on reopening. Any ideas?
    I think it's been fixed in the most recent nightlys
    jonmulcahy, so we should expect it be fixed on the next release?

To all having this problem, maybe we can help each other out..
    1. how many music and sound actors do you have? i have around 20 sound and 1 music

2. did you compress your sound and music files? i did and noticed the problem only after (not sure if it's the cause though)

3. do you have 'no sound' (where the filename should be) in play sounds attribute? This happens when the sound file no longer exists in the game because you deleted it. I found out i have some, deleted the behavior but not sure if I found all

4. do you import mp3s, ogg, mp4 or others as your sound/music go gs? problem started when i imported ogg

• bluelotusbluelotus Member Posts: 96
    I actually got this resolved. Turns out that I erased a sound from the file browser window but I still had the PLAY SOUND behavior in the project. The empty PLAY SOUND behavior was causing the issue.

So remove any PLAY SOUND behaviors that you might have that are not assigned to a sound.
    Thanks for sharing bluelotus!
  • charliehgreencharliehgreen ArizonaMember Posts: 233
    I'm having this same issue, and I did not erase the file.

Sorry for posting a thread about this, didn't know this one existed.
  • charliehgreencharliehgreen ArizonaMember Posts: 233
    edited September 2013
    Any updates on this topic?
    This is the only thing holding me back at the moment.
  • Michael31Michael31 Member, PRO Posts: 2
    Sorry had my sisters wedding so didn't get a chance to come back here for a bit. As jonmulcahy said It seems to have been fixed in the most recent nightly. I got the Pro membership to test if that would fix it (amongst other things) and it did the job. Tested both in the game salad viewer and as an adhoc on the iPhone. So everyone with the issue just needs to hold out until the the next release/s catch up with current nightlys.
  • DaneC020DaneC020 Member Posts: 90
    So can anyone confirm the nightly fix actually *fixed* the problem? I have spent hours debugging the issue and can verify that my function with the PlaySound node is being called. The code works fine for awhile and then all the sudden it just stops...

-Dane
    Guess it doesn't matter since I am not pro... I will have to wait for the next update, hopefully it won't be long as this is a pretty major issue in my opinion.

-Dane
    edited November 2013
    So the new updates are out and I am still having this issue... I have a debug statement where the audio is being called to make sure the code is getting to that section. Everything is being triggered properly but the audio just stops working after playing the game for 3-5 minutes.....

I can't be the only one with this issue? All I can think of is maybe an error somewhere is causing issues but there is no way for me to tell if that is the case? Has only had code errors cause audio to stop working? Some of these items have one rule on them that plays a sound when the game setting is true... Those don't even work after audio starts cutting out.
  • DaveGWelshDaveGWelsh Member Posts: 60
    I'm having the exact same problem at the moment. My sound effects just cut out after X seconds or so.

Anyone have a fix at all?
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    I somehow missed this forum when it started awhile back but caught it tonight. We had a game that had this exact same problem about 4 months ago, and we just didn't have the time or resources to dig in and see about a fix so we dropped it. I saw above that @jonmulcahy mentioned this was fixed in the nightly builds though so I figured I would give it a try.

I can confirm that my file would drop all sfx after 15 seconds with the previous stable release 10.4.1. And I just tried that same file that I haven't touched in months with the latest nightly build 212, and it did indeed fix the problem. The sounds play and they do not drop out at all. I only played it for a few minutes but that was more than I ever got before.

If this fix is good to go, then it should be put into the next stable release when it gets released. Hope that helps. :-)
    Thanks for the info!

Do you know when we can expect the next update?
    Thanks again!
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    I keep hearing end of January / Beginning of February.
    Ok cool. Thanks!

It's the one thing holding me back from publishing. Lol!

Is there a way around it you think?
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    I'm having the same problem. The new nightly fixes it but when I try and preview my game every image turns white.

So now I get to wait until after my publishing certificate expires to publish. Yay!
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2014
    @Brenton222
    I'm having the same problem. The new nightly fixes it but when I try and preview my game every image turns white.

So now I get to wait until after my publishing certificate expires to publish. Yay!
    Do you image file names have capital letters in them ? If so, try making them lowercase.
  • JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300
    @Brenton222

Do you image file names have capital letters in them ? If so, try making them lowercase.
    Why does this matter? I ask because ALL of my images have CamelCase.

Oh and i am also having this same sound issue on 0.10.4.1
  • JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @JDuaneJ
    Why does this matter?
    Because . . . . of things and stuff.

Did you try using lowercase ?
  • Shadow_DevelopmentShadow_Development Rocklin, CA. United StatesMember Posts: 85
    @JDuaneJ
    Why does this matter?
    Because . . . . of things and stuff.

Did you try using lowercase ?
    @Socks I'm sorry but changing the name to lowercase characters seems useless. May you please explain in more depth how this may work? :-/
  • findmattgamesfindmattgames Member, PRO Posts: 100
    Has this fix been released? I am on 10.4.1 and it's the same issue everyone is describing. Sounds just stop working after a certain time. I converted wav files and there are no empty play sounds. It's happening in two projects, both incredibly simple commands. Any idea when the fixed build will be released?
  • bluetractorjtbluetractorjt Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2014

I'm also having the same issues. I have gone through everything and am a Pro Member as well and am on 10.4.1. The sounds play fine for a while no matter where I'm at in the game and all of the sudden, all of my sound effects drop. This is happening in preview mode and when I'm testing on my ipad.

• bluetractorjtbluetractorjt Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2014

Ok, I went and tried out the latest nightly build and I can confirm that my sound issues seemed to be fixed in preview mode and the game played just fine. Therefore I assume that the sound issues I was having will be fixed in the next stable release since it is fixed in the latest nightly build.

• chugochugo Member Posts: 1

@bluelotus said:
    I actually got this resolved. Turns out that I erased a sound from the file browser window but I still had the PLAY SOUND behavior in the project. The empty PLAY SOUND behavior was causing the issue.

So remove any PLAY SOUND behaviors that you might have that are not assigned to a sound.

New guy here!

I was having this problem too and removing any unassigned "Play Sound" behaviors did indeed fix the problem. Unassigned sounds still shouldn't break the sounds, but it sounds like that's getting fixed. In the meantime, this is a great temporary fix!

Thanks guys. Love this engine.