Possible Bug? Sound Effects cutting out...

2»

Comments

• BitBucketeerBitBucketeer Member Posts: 3

New guy here ... just "published" the first game in HTML5 / Arcade. While the music plays fine, none of the sound effect seems to get played at all. (I already checked all my "Play Sound" behaviors to make sure that every one of them has a valid, properly assigned sound.) Any idea what else I should check? Or is there still a bug with getting sound effects to play?

Arrrggh! Just moved the "Play Music" behavior from one actor to another and re-uploaded into the HTML5 Arcade, now I have the reverse problem of all the sound effects playing fine but the music is not playing. (All music and sound effects play fine while in preview; but not fine after publishing onto the HTML5 arcade.) What am I missing here?

Alright ... weirdest thing ... Safari plays the music but not the sound effect. FireFox plays the sound effect but not the music. Google Chrome plays both the sound effect and the music!

• NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2014

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

If any of you are still having issues with sound cutting out after a bit - I happened to discover that not only my project, but other projects were doing the same thing. I re-created the problem in a brand new simple project in GameSalad - 1 actor with a Play Sound command upon key press, and after about 2 minutes of repeated pressing, the sound stopped working (Windows 7, GS 0.10.5). I then stuffed the project with graphics and empty-code actors, and that time went down to about 25 seconds. I guessed maybe GameSalad's cache for graphics/sound was running out, if there is such a thing. I tried changing the sound with a WAV sound instead of a .OGG, no difference. Both had been exported from Audacity.

Then Yes Please Games' post gave me the idea to import a WAV sound straight from SoundBible, no Audacity export/compession. IT WORKED - no sound cutting out, 2 minutes later! Not only that, my original project now worked, with all sounds playing as they should! It seems almost like GameSalad needed to refresh some sort of audio cache, and it can only be done by importing a sound effect that wasn't exported through Audacity. I can't tell for sure if this is a permanent fix, but at least it does something.

Hopefully that helps anyone who still has this issue.

• NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015

For some reason I can't edit my prior post... but it turns out my fix above didn't actually fix it. It looked like it did, but it didn't fix the issue on other laptops. What DID help was updating the audio drivers, they seem to at least function now.

I still have this general problem, though. A very simple game with nothing but an actor playing a sound effect will have the sound effect start cutting out if the sound overlaps with itself, even by a split second.

• gpirategpirate Member, PRO Posts: 1

So guys i'm sorry i jumped the comments and want to drop my solution i found..
    So basically Game-salad viewer is the only problem i just published it and tried it on my both android phones (note 2, galaxy 4s) sound worked smoothly without and problem.
    i'm sorry if someone mentioned the solution i just wanted to comment might help someone.