State of GameSalad on 7-17-13

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

We’re still holding off on releasing any new stable builds. More bug fixes and optimizations are in progress in the nightly builds. Head over to the “PRO - Working With GameSalad” forum for more info.

We've got a tentative release schedule underway. The QA team is digging in on the nightly builds and are making sure all is well. They'll be looking at things for the next week or so before giving us the go ahead for release.

We're also working on a "Release Candidate" system that will allow all users to take a look at proposed stable release builds before we release them. It's almost like the nightly builds... except that we're only including code and features for stable release in them. Keep an eye out here for more information on when the first release candidate will be prepared.

What’s New This Week?

1. We’re continuing to look for some new hires to help cover some weaknesses in our current staffing. Will keep you abreast of the developments on this front. Are you a skilled developer or do you know one? If so, head over to http://www.gamesalad.com/jobs

2. Async multiplayer is almost feature complete. We still need to add a ChangePassword behavior and have some code cleanup to do. We'll be integrating this into the nightly build soon. Before we do, we'll need to do some more internal testing and have a contract to finalize. But it's looking good!

3. We've got a fix going into nightly builds for changing actor visibility. Yeah, you'll be able to do so soon.

4. We've fixed several issues with sound playback. These fixes will be going into nightly builds shortly.

5. Our rework of the build process for Creator and the engine / viewer is taking a bit longer than anticipated. It's coming along well though. This is making our internal development process quite a bit easier (and is helping our latest programmer hire learn the code). Good times!

6. We're still optimizing the HTML5 engine and cleaning up some bugs for Tizen support.

7. We're profiling and optimizing the actor spawning code to speed it up. Should have something ready for nightly release in the next couple of days.

Comments

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648
  • Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206
    Wow, you guys are working hard all the time. Excellent to hear. Any chance you could have a look at letting an actor have access to gamecenter leader board info, so we can make our own inside the game?

Otherwise exciting times once again.
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    #3 - Does this mean we can change the "Visible" attribute of an actor within a rule? That would be much better than simply changing its Opacity to 0.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
  • FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    I like all of the numbers :D
    Bu I Love 2#. I hope this come out within some fre week. Because that would help my game idea so much easier. And I think many people would agree with that ;) So @Codewizard, do you think we will see the async in any time soon?

And I'm curious of what he means with "release candidate". @Codewizzard,could you explain this further.

Sorry for asking so much but I hope these isn't so difficult questions.
  • K1dTrunksK1dTrunks PRO Posts: 55
    Have any changes been made to the particle behavior yet?
    Some much needed improvements:
    1) particles BEHIND actor
    2) particle gravity independent of scene gravity (most people don't use scene gravity anyway)
    3) Particles should not have to have same height/width
    4) It would be nice to allow more than one size/color change (so that particles could start small, grow, then shrink back)

This should have been done a long time ago.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited July 2013
    @fajlajp
    We'll release async multiplayer when it's ready. :) Still have some work to do on it and have to finalize a contract. It's actually taken quite a bit less time than originally anticipated. Crazy, right? More news as I have it.

Let me talk about release candidates for a moment...

We have nightly builds for Pro users, right? Well we also want to take those nightly builds and release them to everyone at some point. This requires testing from our QA group before we can sign off on a stable release. Checks and balances being what they are and all.

Well to help our QA group out, and to get more test coverage for the changes, we'll be releasing "Release Candidates" to everyone. They're like nightly builds in that they have new optimizations, fixes and features not yet released as stable. But they're not as cool as nightly builds because they don't have the very latest stuff in them.

For example, we just pinched off a release candidate branch internally for version 11 of the Creator and engine. We'll be testing that internally and releasing it to all GameSalad users to help aid in the testing. We most definitely don't want a repeat of 10.2's release where you were blindsided by several compatibility changes. The release candidate won't be getting the latest nightly build changes for a while though.

So, think of release candidates as a snapshot of the nightly build that we polish and fix up until it's ready for release to everyone. Nightly builds will keep on being released while we polish and fix the release candidate -- and the release candidate won't get the new nightly build features until we've released it and started a new release candidate cycle.

Man, that's a lot of words to explain this. Umm. Just know that it's cool and will help us make the tool and engine better for you before release.
    edited July 2013
    @K1dTrunks
    Yeah, we've done some pretty impressive optimizations on particles. But those features you mention haven't been implemented yet to my knowledge. Making a note for future follow up.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Awesome work as always, guys! It's amazing to hear that Multiplayer is being completed faster than you initially thought! *Mind Blown*

Keep it up!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Could you clarify optimizing the HTML 5 engine? Is this for better arcade performance? I get a lot of requests from clients for HTML 5 stuff for their websites. One is a major brand. Any future plans this year for straight HTML 5 output or an embedding system with bigger sizes and without the GS logo on the player?
    Yeah. We use the HTML5 engine for Tizen as well as some other platforms.

We are definitely planning on supporting standalone HTML5 publishing one day. It's on the list and everything.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2013
    We're profiling and optimizing the actor spawning code to speed it up. Should have something ready for nightly release in the next couple of days.

Excellent !!! :)>- Really looking forward to tighter spawning ! Great stuff as usual from GameSalad !!!!

[Edit - the phrase 'tighter spawning' is a little unsettling, but go with it]
  • kolabokolabo Member Posts: 240

We are definitely planning on supporting standalone HTML5 publishing one day. It's on the list and everything.
    Now this is good news!

• brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    Wiil multyplayer be in the free vervion? Please have it be.
  • deadlightsdeadlights Member, PRO Posts: 235
    These updates are great, but is anyone else concerned that there's been no mention of the LUA-free engine in a really long time? :-S
  • HalfBakedProductionsHalfBakedProductions Member, PRO Posts: 248
    Can't wait for all the cool features :D
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    These updates are great, but is anyone else concerned that there's been no mention of the LUA-free engine in a really long time? :-S
    That sound you just heard was FryingBaconStudios screaming ever so loudly! Yes it's been covered many times previously that there is no LUA-free engine coming since they can work with the current one just fine under codewizard's direction. Search if you want more info as we will never discuss this again. Ever. :)
  • Team6LabsTeam6Labs Member Posts: 541
    As much as I loved Lua-free, I am very content with subpar loading and crazy awesome features like multiplayer and an extendable engine.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

Wowzer that's gonna make people happy. Me especially and I'm sure @photics will be thrilled too. :)

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    Shhh don't let @FryingBaconStudios hear you asking that question, it makes his head spin and I hear he also levitates and shoots laser beams from his eyes when he hears lua free %-( :D
  • FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    @codewizard
    Yes it's crazy. I thought it would take a much longer time.
    But now when async coming to a end. Have you decided... Will this feature be another "only PRO feature" or will it be for everyone? :D
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    I think everything coming is really cool and I can't wait, but to be honest I had to look at the date to make sure I was not read last weeks update... (:|
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    I think everything coming is really cool and I can't wait, but to be honest I had to look at the date to make sure I was not read last weeks update... (:|
    I think this is a bit harsh - the GS guys are working around the clock to get these updates out to us, but it just takes time. Suggesting that they're going slow (when they're really anything but) isn't going to speed things up, so much as antagonise them. Just my opinion though!
  • lebiscuitlebiscuit Member, PRO Posts: 220
    edited July 2013

3. We've got a fix going into nightly builds for changing actor visibility. Yeah, you'll be able to do so soon.

dope !!

there still a strange bug i'm having, on device & ios simulator, not on gamesalad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vYKSEDNhCEo

• PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    Mind=Blown
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    I think this is a bit harsh - the GS guys are working around the clock to get these updates out to us, but it just takes time. Suggesting that they're going slow (when they're really anything but) isn't going to speed things up, so much as antagonise them. Just my opinion though!
    Thank you for your opinion and sorry if you took it the wrong way, and as a full time Developer I understand it takes time. So my comment was not meant to be harsh at all.

And please do not assume I was saying anything about them being slow. Those were your words not mine.

I think you should read last weeks update than read this weeks and tell me it did not sound almost the same.

Also, if you are going to use a word like "antagonize" you really should spell it correctly... :D

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172

Wowzer that's gonna make people happy. Me especially and I'm sure @photics will be thrilled too. :)

Wow, that is great news! This can make GameSalad more than just a game development tool.

Will HTML5 have user tracking like the apps have, or can that code be removed?
    Are you a skilled developer or do you know one? If so, head over to http://www.gamesalad.com/jobs
    I am a skilled web developer. Wow, that Web Developer / Hacker job sure looks good. I looked at the houses in Austin this morning... very pretty!