Windows Creator: First stop if you experience unexpected behaviours

2»

Comments

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

I believe they have only just started NB's for windows and it has been a long time since a stable version was released so any NB's will be later than 0.10.4.1.

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

Yah... Windows users are second class citizens I'm finding. And the latest NB is VERY buggy. Pausing the game pretty much just locks it up... and I get no music at all...

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

They are working on a new release to match the latest Mac release. After that I believe both the Mac and PC versions are to be combined into one platform.

What do you mean? Are they going to be re-writing it in Java? How will they have a single platform? Unless they are re-writing it in a cross platform development tool - which would be interesting... writing a cross-platform development tool in another cross platform development tool...

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

1) The nightly builds use a different versioning system than the release builds, so you can't compare the two. In general, a nightly build will be more recent than a release build.

2) Nightly builds don't go through QA, so it is quite possible new bugs will be introduced that don't exist in the release build. Nightly builds are intended to show off new features that are being developed before an official release, and to get feedback on them.

3) We currently have two development paths: the first is to bring Windows Creator to feature parity with Mac Creator 0.11. This includes being able to use WC with the viewer, preview with the native engine (i.e. the same engine used in Mac and devices), and all new behaviors that are on the Mac (loops, networking, etc). We also plan on making performance improvements where possible. The second path is a universal Creator, so you will have the same UI, features, etc on all platforms. It is not written in Java. :smile:

Is there any timeline to bring the two systems in alignment?

@ookami007 said:
    Is there any timeline to bring the two systems in alignment?

Windows Creator 0.11 will likely be out by fall, although there will be "nightly" updates as we get features in. Universal Creator probably not until next year, although there may be a beta before then. But this is strictly unofficial, we may or may not make those times.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

UPDATE regarding installation and viewer problems

@stevej‌ said:
    If you are seeing crashes in preview, one thing you might want to try if you are running with Windows 7 is to install .NET 4.5. That seems to help in some cases.

• ManxMannManxMann Member Posts: 28

Is anyone else having a problem with the pitch when trying to play sound?

On Windows GS 0.10.4 all the sounds on my game worked fine, since the update I am having problems with the following;

Play Sound Engine loop (checked)

Volume 1

Pitch (game.bikeSpeed/500)+075

this use to work fine before the update.

• sniffy176sniffy176 Member, PRO Posts: 48

Just updated from 10.4.1 to 10.5 and somewhere between the 2 it's completely messed up my project.

I've narrowed it down to a potential bug when you are using 'Display Text' and specifically if you want to display a random value.

So, in 10.4.1 if you use the Display Text behaviour with the expression:

random(1, 10)

The actor will display a number between 1 and 10 - as you would expect.

In 10.5 if you do the exact same thing, it will display a number between 1 and 10, but this number is constantly changing, as though it is cycling through a very rapid loop.

This only seems to be an issue if you use that expression in conjunction with Display Text. If you create a game attribute (integer) and run the same expression and then have an actor display the game attribute, it works as normal and only displays 1 number.

Anyone else had this problem? Any easy fix suggestions?

Thanks.

• bloodnitebloodnite Member Posts: 50

When I updated from 10.4.1 to 10.5 it jacked my project up too. It for some reason messed up my menus... it would take me to stage 7 instead of stage 1. I had to recreate the menu stage and recreate all of the subsequent stages it was referencing.. that was fun.

• buzzbybuzzby Member Posts: 2

I'm on Windows 7 and am having problems.

Clicking on the "preview" window causes the application to hang and then crash.

Checked my regional settings, upgraded my RAM, updated my video driver, set the local host to 127.0.0.7.

I'll check the net, to see if its 4.5 later today.

Any other thoughts?

• buzzbybuzzby Member Posts: 2

I got it to work by upgrading to .net 4.5. In honor of my success, I've played the first shoot-em up game. Now it's time to get to work.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I know this is a stretch but is anyone using Windows Creator in VMWare on a Mac? I checked the decimal/separator settings and they were already correct and I don't know that I have much control over the graphic drivers that are used. When I preview an existing Mac file, it's just a blank scene instead of any actors appearing.

I'd like to get it running so I can make some PC tutorials and demos. I'll try a new file and see if the problem persists.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    I know this is a stretch but is anyone using Windows Creator in VMWare on a Mac? I checked the decimal/separator settings and they were already correct and I don't know that I have much control over the graphic drivers that are used. When I preview an existing Mac file, it's just a blank scene instead of any actors appearing.

I'd like to get it running so I can make some PC tutorials and demos. I'll try a new file and see if the problem persists.

I actually do development and testing of Windows Creator on VMWare here. It should work, although if you're using the 0.12 nightly build native preview won't work, as VMWare's graphics drivers don't support OpenGL 3.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@stevej it's a file I created in Mac 0.12.10 and then opened in Windows 0.10.5. It doesn't seem to be affecting new project files created in Windows. The file is attached here: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/516905/#Comment_516905.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• gunhavergunhaver Member Posts: 1

Cannot add movement to actors via "recieves a key press" and "move in direction".
    Just learning, so I restarted with a fresh scene. Actor is movable and all other options are default except for the rule. Currently trying right arrow for right movement, but although Gamesalad recognizes the keystroke, it does not work in preview. Also added initial velocity in one test just to make sure there was any way to move the actor, it worked.

• francis.charland@videotron.cafrancis.charland@videotron.ca 3D Artist/Generalist Quebec, CanadaMember, PRO Posts: 48
    edited June 2015

Hi folks,
    Trying to find out an issue I have with Tiling images on Windows Creator.
    First I need to specify That i'm developing on both my Imac and my windows Laptop on a daily basis via iCloud.
    Main project is created under my imac and I have tiling images for my walls and floor tiles etc... Everything is working perfectly on the imac.... When I open the scene on my Laptop (using windows 7) I have issues with the actors that are using tiling. The preview on stage seems to scale the images contain in the actors... sometime scaled up or down depending on the image ratio... When I preview the game the result is different and the tiling image goes out of bound of the Actor. I've changed the regional setting for what is suggested in this thread but I'm still having this issue.... I've tried it on 2 other computers using windows 7 and they all have this issue.... I might be missing something about the regional setting but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions ?

Regards,
    Francis

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127
    edited June 2015

Francis, I have a discussion I created about this:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/543267#Comment_543267

Still can't find a solution. @francis.charland@videotron.ca

• erekerendo0000erekerendo0000 Member, BASIC Posts: 4

I have an issue where whenever the constrained x and y attributes of the main actor change to match mouse movement, the move to function of another actor is paused.