State of GameSalad on 8-28-2013

13»

Comments

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    The only thing I don't like is there making bug fixes in the nightly builds but not pushing them out too the stable build which I think they should, after all how does it look when someone new D/L GameSalad and makes a game only too have it broken there first software update. A bug fix should not be sit on for months.
    I can understand sitting on things like Loop behavior and Multiplayer and things like that too drive more people to get Pro for the benefit of nightly builds but just my opinion.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited September 2013
    There are two reasons why things are not in the official version. One, as was said they have been overhauling how the push out builds this work has held them back from pushing out the changes but they are nearly done redoing it. Second, new official features must pass through the QA system and be thoroughly checked. The reason the can put out features patches in the nightly is because it's not a official supported build. There for the nightly is basically use it at your own risk and so bugs can be found and reported. It takes time to find the bugs. The nightly build process has given more manpower to finding bug and will make new official releases more stable than past ones. Once the backend work is done they won't have to do it again and they will be more efficient producing builds. I know right now it seems slow it isn't going to stay like this because the backend work is only something they need to do once and from there they will not be creating tech debt as they will have a proper process in place thanks to @codewizard. This work now will payoff just down the road. Wait and see.
  • MlabAppsMlabApps Member, PRO Posts: 79
    edited September 2013
    I have a mixed opinion of what is currently happening at GameSalad. It is a wonderful tool, but it could be much better. There are two sides to the whole "GameSalad is slacking" argument and I'm in the middle. While GS is a relatively small company, it is understandable that improvements, especially big ones take time! On the other hand, there are thousands of people paying hundreds of dollars a YEAR (including me) for GS Pro features. I think that GS is being slightly irresponsible by releasing half-baked features and making us wait months for them to be fixed. For example, we got GameCenter Leaderboards but had to wait months for Achievements. We got Twitter, but still don't have Facebook. What about all those Lua engine optimizations @CodeWizard? Overall, GS is doing a great job! It is by far the best cross-platform game tool on the market! Yet, I think that GS could be doing better. It would be much appreciated if GS really took the time to polish all the features before releasing them.
    GS Pro is still worth it @CodeWizard ;).

-Michael
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    I work with what I can, what I have got, and what I understand with a smile on my face - tools is where it is at. The best one to suit each person. So enjoy that part :) Make something special :D
  • ycanycan Member, PRO Posts: 207
    Can we use in app purchases for Mac Apps ?
  • ConnellAppsConnellApps Member Posts: 10
    Apparently Gamesalad Arcade isn't working properly
  • matthornbmatthornb Member Posts: 38
    I'd love to see HTML5 support higher resolutions, as well. 480x320 is horribly limiting. Look at Construct 2's HTML5 output - it can support any arbitrary resolution you want. I'd also like to see a dynamic resize on Windows GS that works reliably; I get that you've got the camera resize feature but it has some serious flaws on Windows.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @CodeWizard - Was a solution for analytics reached? Don't think this has been asked/answered in a while? Would make a big difference to knowing how we should update apps...!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @CodeWizard - Was a solution for analytics reached? Don't think this has been asked/answered in a while? Would make a big difference to knowing how we should update apps...!
    i don't remember where, but I remember seeing that they did have some sort of solution on the roadmap / in the works. I think it was possibly coming out the same time as async? maybe? that could be me being optimistic :)

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    i don't remember where, but I remember seeing that they did have some sort of solution on the roadmap / in the works. I think it was possibly coming out the same time as async? maybe? that could be me being optimistic :)

Cool, well I hope you're right and it does become implemented soon :)
  • fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    I would like to say thank you to everyone at Gamesalad i am going on 2 years of full time app/game development because of you keep up the good work.