★★★ GS v Unity 3D Racing ★★★

Comments

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    yes and thanks @kevinCross but i'm little bit confused about this thing, i've spend a lot of time yesterday to make this... but i'm very busy because i make a rally game in top view and i'd like to implement a 3D cars with DBA technique but the better way for me is to have a template and study it when is done.
    Thanks.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Ok cool, good luck with it. I don't have a 3d car otherwise I would of tried my examples above to see if I was on the right track.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    @KevinCross

I was bored and had a car model so created 36 images of a mustang, I did not create the model I just play around with it. anyway you can have.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58782733/car.zip
    Thanks @BBenk. @pinkio75 sent me some images too. As it looks like pinkio75 is using someone else's images as well I guess it doesn't matter which one I use and can share the project file here if I get it working.
    Thanks @BBenk. @pinkio75 sent me some images too. As it looks like pinkio75 is using someone else's images as well I guess it doesn't matter which one I use and can share the project file here if I get it working.
    the images I created in Blender, I just used a model that was giving away sometime back somewhere,lol
    edited October 2013
    Yess, @KevinCross @BBenk
    i took pictures of the other game projects, just to make rapid test anyway i've watermarked them not to be reused.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited October 2013
    Awesome work Darren

Always enjoy seeing a 3d effect put together in GameSalad.

The car physics look great... some good tail out action.

How many images would you need to create to be able to have the car tilt upwards when you go over a jump rather than just scaling the whole thing. So the front of the car goes up. I can see you'd need to cover the tilting of the car from all angles so would soon create a lot of image sequences, but would make the jumps all the more stunning.

( @Socks loving yours as well..)

Great work mate.
    edited October 2013
    It became apparent when setting it up that rotation wasn't the thing to use as it makes the car look like it's tumbling/rolling, so I added an extra attribute called carAngle which is set as an angle attribute.

The game attribute game.rotationSteps is currently 10 and is calculated by 360 / 36 which is the number of car images. If you only had 18 images say, then it would be 360 / 18 which would give you a value of 20 for game.rotationSteps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f08ig7gaws1hbjy/Rotating Car.zip

EDIT: I think it should be noted that this only works with square images. For rectangular images where there's little white space around the car you may want to look at rotating the actor instead, but that's where it looks like it's tumbling. You can test it yourself by changing all instances of self.carAngle to self.rotation.

EDIT 2: I've amended it so that the image of the car pointing right is image 0 and changed the other image names accordingly. This is because angle 0 in GameSalad points right. You can also move the car forward by pressing the up cursor key. I'd imagine most games though would have the car fixed to the centre of the screen.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    @socks You r crash made me lol. I was waiting, waiting for a big boom and then... :)
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @Socks
    yes but i need 360 images for one car, and if i have 5 cars i've 1.500 images?.
    5 x 360 = 1,800.
    I think that 36 images are fine to make this.
    Turing the car with 36 images will be 10x less smooth, you will have to limit (or quantise) the direction the car can drive in, for example if you're driving at 40deg and want to subtly adjust your direction your nearest options are 30deg or 50deg . . . the other alternative would be to allow the full range of rotation, but use the nearest suitable animation frame, in this case you might find yourself driving at 45deg with the car pointing at 40deg, ie: both solutions are a compromise of sorts.
    I will buy the DBA template ;)
    Is it going to be made into a template ?
    edited October 2013
    If you're getting negative numbers you could use the abs function to make it a positive one.
    Or use an 'angle' attribute to control the car image, 'angle' loops around 0-359.9999999 . . . . Deg.
    edited October 2013
    @Socks
    5 x 360 = 1,800
    it was just an example, thanks for correction ;)
    i try to make a rally game, in this moment i have a classic top view game, i want to transform it a semi 3D game.
    yes and thanks @kevinCross but i'm little bit confused about this thing, i've spend a lot of time yesterday to make this... but i'm very busy because i make a rally game in top view and i'd like to implement a 3D cars with DBA technique but the better way for me is to have a template and study it when is done.
    Thanks.
    Lots of isometric views should work fine with a top down view (isometric, military, gentlemen . . . . etc).

Or use an 'angle' attribute to control the car image, 'angle' loops around 0-359.9999999 . . . . Deg.
    Yep, I used angle in my example.

It became apparent when setting it up that rotation wasn't the thing to use . . .
    Yep, in my project I also don't use rotation, the car actor is always at 0deg, but the direction it moves in changes (and the image number is locked to the direction it's moving in).
    @socks You r crash made me lol. I was waiting, waiting for a big boom and then... :)
    ;) Didn't want anyone to get hurt.
    @KevinCross

I noticed you renamed all the frames I made,I could have done that for you in like 5 seconds.

anyway 36 frames is very smooth.
    @KevinCross

I noticed you renamed all the frames I made,I could have done that for you in like 5 seconds.

anyway 36 frames is very smooth.
    Thanks, but renaming 36 manually was no biggie :)

• FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    @DeepBlueApps
    Any updates on this? :)
  • blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
    edited November 2013
    I have this model from turbo squid: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-gto-judge-3d-model/632467
    does anyone know how to turn it into the 36 images like @BBEnk? Please provide instructions to so I can do it myself. Sorry i'm not very good at 3D programs and I only have blender.

I tried to look up rotation animations but it was confusing and the model is off center or something with the camera. Anyway, Thanks!

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

it's not really hard to do, I did not rotate the car just the camera and had the light follow by parenting them both to a plain-empty and had the camera constrained to look at empty at 45% angle, heres the GTO you have already setup maybe you can study what I did.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58782733/GTO_Judge_Blender.zip

1. I centered object at center and moved 3D cursor to center.
    2. add plain-empty
    3. parent camera and light source to plain-empty
    4. have camera track plain-empty so it always looks at empty
    5. rotate plain-empty 360 degrees I only made three keyframes for this but you can add more to get the exact angle you wish.
    6 set animation to use 10 steps so it only outputs 1 frame every 10 frames so you end up with 36.

• blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
    @BBEnk Thanks! So how do I export the PNG files?

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

click on camera icon and at bottom you can select were to save, its already set for .png then just run animation from menu. camera is set for 512x512 but you can change.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    @pinkio75 36 images is fine see below for this in action.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-racers-3d/

Darren.
    edited November 2013
    @pinkio75 36 images is fine see below for this in action.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-racers-3d/

Darren.
    @DeepBlueApps

Looks really good now !!

Great stuff !!! :)>-
    edited November 2013
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Love this |Darren, good stuff as always. My only small critique is there is just something that I dont quite like about the jump! Maybe it just seems to go to high/large, I dont know, I cant quite put my finger on it! Impressive stuff though
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    edited November 2013
    Awesome stuff, reminds me of the older racing games I use to play. I can see a good game coming from this.