Tizen & Appbackr program updates 20-May-2014

Comments

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

Anyone get paid the $50/app yet? Only a few more days till the end of the week!!

• iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310

Nope... no money yet.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

Just got my $50/app. @dgackey Is there any word on when appbackr will be paying out the other offers?

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

I just paid out $50,000 in incentives! Yay!

@FallacyStudios‌ unfortunately, I don't have any ETA on that. I believe the lawyers are still doing their thing.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

Lol silly lawyers just want to be involved in everything to earn them their absurd wages.

Thanks @dgackey

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Thanks, Gamesalad.

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited April 2014

@dgackey said:
    I just paid out $50,000 in incentives! Yay!

FallacyStudios‌ unfortunately, I don't have any ETA on that. I believe the lawyers are still doing their thing.

@dgackey‌

So to clarify, appbackr incentives means that if an app was decent and not garbage, they got extra money; the better the quality of the app, the more the money? Does that mean most apps that don't look like they were made in a day get appbackr incentives?

Thanks

Chakku

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited April 2014

@Chakku My understanding was that GameSalad games that were on the app stores when appbackr looked sometime last year were graded. Incentives were the offered based on the "quality" of the app. Their criteria weren't entirely clear. Only the pre-checked apps were offered incentives, new apps published to Tizen after the initial grading weren't eligible. The incentives offered seemed to range from around $50 to $1500.

And got my Intel money - thanks GameSalad!

@Armelline said:
    Chakku My understanding was that GameSalad games that were on the app stores when appbackr looked sometime last year were graded. Incentives were the offered based on the "quality" of the app. Their criteria weren't entirely clear. Only the pre-checked apps were offered incentives, new apps published to Tizen after the initial grading weren't eligible. The incentives offered seemed to range from around $50 to $1500.

And got my Intel money - thanks GameSalad!

@‌Armelline

No, they actually have a certain process for apps that were first published to Tizen. @dgackey told me "For new apps that have never been published, they attempt to project the score based on things they can measure like if the game crashes when they run it through simulators, framerate, complexity of the scenes, etc."

My question was kind of unclear above, basically I wanted confirmation that these apps are still being scored, and all the intricate apps I poured hours into would still be getting the Appbackr quality-based money that we were told we'd from the beginning. I feel uneasy with the whole "lawyering" concept. I could've made a thousand super-simple $50 games instead of the low-quantity high-quality games I made with Appbackr incentives in mind.

I am certain I'm far from the only one with the same thought process--> quantity>quality, because of Appbackr incentives. If not for these, I would've focused on churning out a ton of quick $50 games instead of just a few extremely nice ones with complex functions, great concept, great graphics, sfx, etc.

Not saying that they're going to do this, but I'm nervous they might...

Chakku

• TapcodiaTapcodia Member Posts: 84

weeee just got paid

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited April 2014

@Chakku GameSalad definitely gave the impression that new apps would also be scored by appbackr when this promotion was first starting. They've very much distanced themselves from that since, though, and have stated pretty categorically elsewhere in this thread that only those apps offered incentives via email prior to the promotion started will be getting appbackr money.

@adent42 said:
    Armelline only people who were contacted have appbackr incentives. You may still qualify for Intel incentives which is separate ($50, free months). We award those based on when you were accepted into the store by Intel. If you are one of the first 1000 aps, then you will receive the $50 incentive.

I'm pretty sure there isn't anybody who wasn't pre-contacted that got offered an incentive. If your game wasn't already on the app store, it wasn't eligible, basically.

@Chakku,

If you haven't already received an incentive offer via email for an app you created, you can probably assume it's not going to be eligible for Appbackr incentives under this program.

I don't know if they did or didn't offer incentives to individuals after the initial offers were provided, or what their criteria was if they did. For a variety of reasons, we had zero involvement in that aspect of the program; we just sent out the initial batch of games they scored and passed along the details they provided us about how their program worked, the rest was up to them.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Received my $50 per app payments! I'm a happy sidekick!

Looking forward to seeing the appbackr payments sent out, too!

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

Got my $50 per app. Thank You GameSalad!!

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453

Got mine also! Thanks!

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

Money received. This Wednesday is now a great one.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@iamcartez said:
    Money received. This Wednesday is now a great one.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I got paid today - thanks GameSalad. The Tizen promotion has been a success in my opinion.

• EspinoEspino Member Posts: 15

Muchas Gracias Equipo de GameSalad.

• baboybaboy Member, PRO Posts: 93

Payment received. Thank you very much! GS you are the best :smiley:

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

I've received the payments, thanks GS!

@dgackey‌

I'm a bit confused here. So what are the lawyers lawyering about? I remember reading in the Appbackr info link that they would either score new apps, or use existing scores for old apps. How would they be able to change these terms just like that?

Chakku

@Chakku can't really get into specifics but let's just say that we are trying to get everyone paid who was offered an incentive and successfully published their game to fulfill that incentive.

The fact that lawyers are involved does not mean that anyone did anything wrong, just that there's something on the table that requires signatures and we're ensuring that we're protected.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@dgackey said:
    The fact that lawyers are involved does not mean that anyone did anything wrong, just that there's something on the table that requires signatures and we're ensuring that we're protected.

I'll send you a pen! :D

Seriously though, thanks for the $50 payments - much appreciated!

The "we are trying to get everyone paid who was offered an incentive and successfully published their game to fulfill that incentive" part is both worrying and reassuring.

I don't know what to think!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272

$50/app received! \o/ Big thank you GS!

edited May 2014

@dgackey said:
    Chakku can't really get into specifics but let's just say that we are trying to get everyone paid who was offered an incentive and successfully published their game to fulfill that incentive.

Ah that sounds fair enough. Sorry if I seemed to immediately think they had backed up on their novel apps promise, I just wanted to ensure that wasn't the case! :)

Thanks

Chakku

• CodeMonsterCodeMonster ACT, AustraliaMember Posts: 1,078

Awesome, thanks for the money :)

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

Big Thanks!!! Now patiently waiting for the Appbackr incentives next. Hope it will come soon.