State of GameSalad on 3-5-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited March 2014 in GameSalad Kitchen
Not too terribly much to report this week. We just released the release candidate for 0.11.0.

Check out the details here: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/65354/release-candidate-0-11-0-1-is-available

This is the at-a-glance bug list for 0.11.0. There are a handful of issues to resolve but it's looking good. Please be sure to download and try out 0.11.0. That'll help us get more bugs resolved before we push this to "stable."

Thanks!

Comments

• fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    Love the graph :)
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    Not developing a game at the moment, but I've tried opening some old 0.10.4.1 project files with 0.11.0.1 and I'm seeing some nice performance improvements :) keep it up you guys!
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    @CodeWizard‌ no comments on GS Tizen promo
  • vipasanevipasane Member Posts: 34
    Great job GS team
  • Mr. MartensMr. Martens Member Posts: 43
    I'm on it
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited March 2014
    I tried a new Daily build about a month or two ago, and my sprites were often coming out with a white tint to them.

I just updated again to 0244, and it's still there.

Is this a known bug? Will it be fixed soon?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    I tried a new Daily build about a month or two ago, and my sprites were often coming out with a white tint to them. I reported the bug, and was much frustrated by it.

PULL YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Oh my
    :-O
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    @hymloe nice try but @fryingbaconstudios all ready quoted you. Editing your post won't change nothing [-X
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    I tried a new Daily build about a month or two ago, and my sprites were often coming out with a white tint to them.

Have you read the release notes and know bugs? Does your white square have an image in it with a file name in capital letters? Is there something your doing with the alpha on These actors? Have you tried anything to see if you can alter it at all? Can't really help you without knowing what your set is for these and what you've tried.
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited March 2014
    @hymloe nice try but @fryingbaconstudios all ready quoted you. Editing your post won't change nothing - and I dress up like a badger when I think nobody is looking [-X
    While we all know FlyingBaconStudios wouldn't do so, but anyone can change them so being quoted means nothing. :P
  • codybeanscodybeans Member, PRO Posts: 74
    Thanks @CodeWizard‌ for the update
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    @hymloe nice try but @fryingbaconstudios all ready quoted you. Editing your post won't change nothing - and I dress up like a badger when I think nobody is looking [-X
    While we all know FlyingBaconStudios wouldn't do so, but anyone can change them so being quoted means nothing. :P

@armelline But I do dress up like a badger when no one is looking >-)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Just FYI there is a log of each post and any edits that where made so no hiding from what you said even if you try to change it. :)
  • Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35
    @CodeWizard Im just wondering if windows creator has also been in the process of an update or has GS only worked on Mac lately
  • ogagogag Member Posts: 37
    Ten
    Where is the log? Where is the log? The log, the log.. -Black Eyed Peace!
  • HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    @Ij10281‌, they are very well working on the Windows version, as seen in this thread:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/63900/windows-nightly-build-preview#latest

Pro members can download the Windows Nightly version under http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

Other than that, there is also a complete redesign of the interface in the pipeline that will apply to both Windows and Mac.

@SingleSparq said:

Have you read the release notes and know bugs? Does your white square have an image in it with a file name in capital letters? Is there something your doing with the alpha on These actors? Have you tried anything to see if you can alter it at all? Can't really help you without knowing what your set is for these and what you've tried.

Thanks for your suggestions @SingleSparq‌

It happens to my vehicle actor, and to my projectiles actor, as well as some others. But not to other things in the game (as you can see by the screenshot).

It confounds me, and has done for several months. I've reported the bug some time ago, and hoped it would be fixed in following releases, but it hasn't.

My vehicle images and projectile images were made and named the same way I make all my assets.

If I load the project into older versions of Game Salad such as Nightly Build 0099 or major release 0.10.4, it works fine.

If I load the project into the newer versions of Game Salad such as Nightly Build 0244, or major release 0.10.4.1, these actors show up tinted white.

So I have to stick with 0.10.4, but sadly the stuttering sound bug is still in that older version, and the soundfx (but not music) drops out entirely after playing for a while.

So I'm stuck with having to pick a lesser of evils, with none of my Game Salad options providing an actual build I can release to the public.

• rdlew2008rdlew2008 Member, PRO Posts: 85

I know we are always like android advertsiing blah blah blah and asking for a bunch of stuff. Just wondering since we have revmob in the works if there was any plan to use there banner ads as well.

• FatFishFatFish South East, UKMember Posts: 120
    edited March 2014

+1

I'd love to see banner ads implemented on Android, ideally with AdMob, but RevMob will do as a start.

I find interstitials can break up the whole experience and can become more of an annoyance to users, by creating that 'pause' moment in the game, which can easily be avoided by using banners instead.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I would never edit anyone's words. Nor do I ever edit my own..well except when I spell stuff wrong...lol Editing a post after someone directly comments on it is the same as lying, to me anyway.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited March 2014

@Hymloe said:

have you read the posts from GS about the new image handling system they are using in the nightlies?

Fixed issues with displaying images using alpha/transparency. This is an experimental fix – you must add (pure-alpha) to your file name to turn off premultiplied alpha. We would like feedback as to whether or not this is useful to you.

@jonmulcahy said:

Fixed issues with displaying images using alpha/transparency. This is an experimental fix – you must add (pure-alpha) to your file name to turn off premultiplied alpha. We would like feedback as to whether or not this is useful to you.

I saw mention of that, and to be honest, didn't understand what the hell it meant.

And so, feel none the wiser about how to deal with the problem that has arisen in my project.

:|

• Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35

Excited about all the progress just will be more excited for a window release!

• JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300

@CodeWizard can't wait for the release. Can you please tell us what version of Amazon GameCircle is integrated with GS?

• fishbowl1fishbowl1 Member Posts: 54

Can anyone explain the alpha/transparency fix?

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2014

You have to add <(pure-alpha)> (without <>) to the filename of the images which you want to have an alpha value lower than 1. If your image is named <cloud.png>, change that name to <cloud(pure-alpha).png>.

But this doesn't help all that much. Every actor containing a (pure-alpha)-image will replace transparency inside that image with white if its alpha is set to 1. Which ultimately means that you can't interpolate the alpha value of a (pure-alpha)-actor to 1 or the alpha value of a normal actor to anything lower than 1 because either way it will look bad.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@Hoodloc said:
    You have to add <(pure-alpha)> (without <>) to the filename of the images which you want to have an alpha value lower than 1. If your image is named <cloud.png>, change that name to <cloud(pure-alpha).png>.

But this doesn't help all that much. Every actor containing a (pure-alpha)-image will replace transparency inside that image with white if its alpha is set to 1. Which means that you can't interpolate the alpha value of a (pure-alpha)-actor to 1 or the alpha value of a normal actor to anything lower than 1.

I'm almost done with a game so sticking with what works (.221 right now!) but just wanted to say thanks for trying this out.

Even feedback saying 'it doesn't help much' is useful to the GS team I'm sure :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

What I don't get is how they've managed to cock up alpha transparencies in the first place. They were working fine... So why break them, and then require some half baked renaming system to try fix it?

Was it done as part of some new image optimisation system for the engine? Just seems like a strange thing to break... If it previously worked fine... :\

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@Chunkypixels I remember reading somewhere they have changed the image system so we can use sprite sheets. It has been awhile since I read it so don't quote me one it. Maybe @CodeWizard could give us another update on where they are at or better still start a thread.

My images in general are pretty poor now days when viewed on my iPad 1. They are a little ragged around the edges not crisp and clear like they used to be. They look a lot better in Preview than they do on the iPad. I have Resolution Independence unchecked and tried images twice and four times the actors size. It does look a tiny bit better than checking Resolution Independence but not much.