Release Candidate 0.11.0.6 is available!

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited April 2014

@Tinpot
    As for png optimizers our new image loading code does not work well with png optimizers however, we have done compatibility testing and pngnq seem to work with our new code.

@imGua please submit a support ticket with the setting you used in Photoshop and we will look into it.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2014

@Brenton222‌ @hopscotch @FallacyStudios - Agreed, to your first posts on this! Thank you @BlackCloakGS and all involved.

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2014

Looks like we will see some more RCs. My scenes does not load on iOS. Support tickets submitted.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Socks can you give me your support ticket for "The link between prototypes and instances is still broken, makes laying out large complex actor heavy projects a real pain." if you don't have one please submit one.

I sent in a bug report on this weeks ago. Unfortunately I deleted the email with the ticket number.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Socks said:
    Yes, that's basically the issue, the scene editor layout does not (always) match the preview.

Can confirm. I run into this bug regularly. Sometimes it just randomly fixes itself. Sometimes unlocking and reverting fixes it. Sometimes quitting and restarting the app fixes it. Sometimes nothing fixes it.

I have to say, I'm hugely worried that the this issue seems to be news to the team. It's been brought up literally dozens of times before. cough public bug database cough

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited April 2014
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Armelline said:

cough public bug database cough

@colander said:

Plus 1 for the public bug database

The bug database has been up for a few days now ( http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/66905/public-bug-database-updated-4-10-2014#latest ) - unfortunately it's closed to forum input so you still have to submit a bug through the usual system and if your bug doesn't make it onto the bug database there's not a lot you can do besides keep resubmitting it with the hope that eventually the bug is publicly recognised, which is basically the situation we had before, breaking this direct feedback link between GameSalad and the user base (through closing off user input) really reduces the usefulness of a public bug database - it's not surprising it's not been noticed by most people.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited April 2014

@Socks said:
    The bug database has been up for a few days now

A closed forum thread that is only updated by staff is of basically no real use whatsoever, and I don't consider it a public bug database (particularly as there are issues raised in multiple versions of the nightly and RC that aren't on that thread). As you say, it's essentially the same situation as before. I'd noticed it, but just not considered it relevant, really.

edited April 2014

@Armelline said:
    A closed forum thread that is only updated by staff is of basically no real use whatsoever, and I don't consider it a public bug database (particularly as there are issues raised in multiple versions of the nightly and RC that aren't on that thread).

In defence of GameSalad they have said it's a temporary setup, but I'd agree that closing the thread to user input enormously reduces its usefulness - for example on the subject of the broken prototype / instance issue I'm sure we'd have half a dozen posts on the subject in that thread by now if it weren't locked - something that might be hard to ignore, unlike how it is at the moment.

@Socks it's a thread not a database. They said the guy working on the actual database left and everyone is too busy working on 11. Hopefully it will happen soon we need it for all the reasons you said and more.

I have one bug I cannot get a straight answer too. After a week or a new release with the same bug in it I get in touch with them again only to be told to resubmit or provide more information then silence for a week or till the next release then rinse and repeat. Sometimes I get no answer at all other than the auto response and I almost never know the outcome just the team are looking into it type response then nothing.

At least I see one of the bugs in the new thread I and maybe fifty others reported is fixed. Imagine working at GS and getting fifty reports (Or maybe hundreds) on the same bug all written in different ways so you probably read most of it before you realise it is the same as ten, thirty, fifty before it. I would seriously have no desire to respond to the tenth person and the fiftieth like the last forty gets nothing. Or maybe they don't get many because after a few tries it just gets too hard and most users couldn't be bothered anymore.

One of the biggest issues in fact I would say it is the biggest issue is the disconnect between the users/testers and GameSalad. This long convoluted hit and miss bug reporting and fixing system is really holding the software back.

Imagine what it would be like if we were all "informed users"! Wouldn't that be something!

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS‌

I have a game I started in Landscape and then changed to portrait and this works fine in Preview and on the GS viewer but when I build Ad-hoc it's back to Landscape is this a bug or just the way it is?

Never mind I forgot to change it to portrait in the publishing portal all is good.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I noticed a strange issue with my project in the RC, sometimes pausing and unpausing causes all input to fail. This does not happen when using the current stable build. I guess it could be logic related, going to look into a bit further. Has the pause behavior been changed recently? Anyone else seen something similar?

And of course, like many others my load times have doubled.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited April 2014

When I unpause my interpolate Y functions stop. I have an actor the moves slightly up and down on the menu screen. (I use a pause scene for my about page)

Edit: Yeah, scratch that, all user input stops along with interpolations after pausing and unpausing.

@Socks @Armelline I think the closed Bug Thread is better than nothing. Sure a database would be better, but at least now we know what we should avoid using or trying, and what has been fixed… without trawling through dozens of posts and hundreds of comments.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@Brenton222 said:
    When I unpause my interpolate Y functions stop. I have an actor the moves slightly up and down on the menu screen. (I use a pause scene for my about page)

Edit: Yeah, scratch that, all user input stops along with interpolations after pausing and unpausing.

I am getting this too.

In some ways I'm glad it's not me!

Please send in a bug report - I already have for my game, but the more people reporting it the more it's likely to not be ignored.

This is definitely a bug in how pause works I think.

Again, I ask, is anyone ELSE having this problem? Please speak up if so! Check your games!

It's a new issue since .254

With other more obvious problems (i.e. interpolation, alpha, .png types, loading times) it may have been missed.

At worst, if others are affected, it means anyone with a 'pause' function in their game cannot release anything till this is fixed.

Cheers,

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    edited April 2014

Can somebody tell me where I can find a big spiel on the whole how GS handles the animate behavior. As I put in a sequence of images and GS RC reverses them completely in the actor after I go to do something else in GS then come back all reversed

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I was able to narrow mine down to when an actor using a constrain attribute that also has a reference to that attribute in another constrain is in the pause scene, and I unpause it breaks all movement/input (although touch count etc still seems to register)

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@Chaser said:
    Can somebody tell me where I can find a big spiel on the whole how GS handles the animate behavior. As I put in a sequence of images and GS RC reverses them completely in the actor after I go to do something else in GS then come back all reversed

It puts them in order by first number like 1,2,3,4,,,,,10,11,12,,,,,22,23 would be 1,10,11,12,2,22,23,3,4

I sent in a ticket I think. I had issue I just tell animation this is not a order.

@Chaser and @‌ BBEnk

I have always numbered my animation frames 01.png, 02.png, 03.png, 04.png etc and it works fine in GS.

I use the same method to number other files, folders and images and they sort correctly in the Finder, in animated GIFs, in frames exported from Final Cut Pro, in images you are scanning etc.

Just prefix with the number of zeros you require. Of course prefix with anything you want e.g. go_batty_01.png, go_batty_02.png, go_batty_03.png

If you have more than 99 start with 001.png, 002.png and so forth, which will you allow you to do 999.

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    edited April 2014

@BBEnk‌ @PhilipCC‌ thanks my images don't have numbers in the names but maybe based on when I created. I may have to import duplicates with names changed to create my reversed animation

edited April 2014

@PhilipCC said:
    Socks Armelline I think the closed Bug Thread is better than nothing. Sure a database would be better, but at least now we know what we should avoid using or trying, and what has been fixed… without trawling through dozens of posts and hundreds of comments.

I'm not sure how a database would be any better, ultimately it would still be a list of bugs, what's needed is the ability for user input, whether it's a database, a sticky, a thread or a sub forum (or whatever), as it stands there is still no way of reliably bringing an issue to the attention of GameSalad, sure you can send your bug reports in but as has been shown time and time again, and reported by many many users, and for years and years, this is no guarantee of the bug being recognised by GameSalad, let alone addressed.

The bug list thread / database, or whatever you want to call it, could be a hive of activity with reports of bugs being discussed and debated, you should instantly be able to get a sense of which issues are effecting users and which issues are limited to just one or two people, you'd instantly be able to track the history of a bug simply by scrolling back to see when it was first mentioned, you'd also be able to post workarounds - and so on - and if GameSalad appear to be ignoring a bug (have I ever mentioned that the interpolate behaviour has a glitch in it :) ) that would be the place to bring it up, rather than these issues being peppered around disparate threads throughout the forum that can easily be missed.

Why it was decided to close the thread to user input is a bit of a mystery to be honest, it seems like a useful tool was crippled before it had a chance to walk. (all slightly awkward mixed metaphors © 2014)

@colander said:
    Socks it's a thread not a database. They said the guy working on the actual database left and everyone is too busy working on 11.

I suspect there's no real appetite up at GameSalad HQ for the bug database to be honest, it's only really here (for what it is) because of requests from forum users, the reasons for its delay vary . . . someone's left, someone new has joined, they are busy working on the LUA free engine, the iOS7 update, release version 11 . . . (etc) but to me they all suggest the same thing, that it simply isn't a priority.

I've always thought it needed to be nothing more than a thread, so no real need to invest manpower into it (I'm sure we'd all rather they were working on Creator), a thread that can grow as much from user feedback as it would from GameSalad input.

I think I've gone on enough about this now, I'll stop now :)

I have other software for my day job and they have a proper bug reporting database. If you ever see one you'll want it. As the bug reports come in they go in the database for all to see. Then investigated and reported on. If it is a bug it gets escalated to the next level and at each step of the process the users can see what is happening.

If I find a bug and its in the database I don't have to waste my or their time reporting it unless I have some useful information that isn't in their report. I can then use the the number assigned to it saving them time figuring out which one I'm on about then finding it.

When an update is released the users/testers can add information to bug fixes that have been sent out for testing. It is updated constantly as bugs come in and work is done, unlike like a thread which could go days before it is updated and doesn't tell you much.

Anyway enough from me I just hope they get it up and running it will be sooo much better! :)

edited April 2014

Admittedly I don't know too much about this kind of thing, from what you say I'm sure a well implemented database sounds like it would be worthwhile in the long run, in the meantime a thread that allows some interaction would be a good compromise.

• alarm656alarm656 Member Posts: 291

Release Candidate 0.11.0.6 is available!

Guys you're going to do 3d engine? When we will have a normal creator with which we can confidently publish?

• crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FranceMember Posts: 519

Is there an Android Viewer for this version of the RC?

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

I'm having the pause issue also. Almost everything that is either using interpolate or move behaviors breaks after unpausing. Didn't try whether inputs still work since, but I'll submit a bug report.

Also, every actor that has an animation behavior asks to verify the images are a sequence each time I open the actor.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I have a set of parallax scrolling layers on my main menu. After going to the OPTIONS screen (which uses a Pause Scene behaviour), then coming back, my parallax elements just scroll off screen, and never come back.

Normally, they scroll to the left, then reset to their start position once they get far enough to the left, and keep resetting, then scrolling, over and over forever.

Something is going wrong in 11.0.6RC though.

The load times are a real step backwards. At least twice as long as they were in 10.4.

Any ETA on when that'll be fixed up?

One of the buttons on my Main Menu also doesn't respond to touching it after returning from my Options screen (which involved a Pause Scene behaviour).

The SHOP button works over and over, until going to the Options screen, then it does nothing.

Seems to be related to the Pause behaviour.