State of GameSalad on 5-8-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

It's that time again, folks. Let's get right to it...

Since my last update we've released 0.11 Stable Mac of Creator. We're aware of a few small issues that are getting resolved and one bigger one that we're really focusing on. What's the big one? Intermittent app rejections from Apple when using in app purchases.

We've been unable to reproduce this problem internally. All of our tests "just work." This is causing us some consternation and it's beginning to look like something has changed with Apple's review process. We've got an open bug report on this with Apple and will be working with them to figure it out. In the meantime, if your app is rejected due to IAP issues, please file a bug report so we can add it to the pile of things to sort through.

All-in-all I'm really pleased with how this latest release has turned out. We have a few more things to tweak on our testing and build processes, but it's looking good. I hope you agree.

Beyond that we have a few more irons in the fire:

1. Release 12. Adding Google IAP and basic Facebook integration.
  2. Still churning away on the new rendering engine. We're sorting out some bugs now. Then the new font renderer. Then it can go into nightly builds.
  3. New cross platform creator work. This is getting lots of love and I can't wait to share it with you.

I still have it on my to-do list to update the roadmap. Once I stop writing code so much then I'll do that.

Until next week!

Comments

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37

Awesome :smiley:

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Facebook integration. Love it! Thanks for the update! When will the roadmap be updated?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Any idea when the multiplayer issues will be addressed?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

More ! :)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@CodeWizard said:
    All-in-all I'm really pleased with how this latest release has turned out.

So am I, but it's not enough! We got spoilt in the last couple of weeks! <3

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

Sounds great
    Can anyone help me out with understanding what is meant by "New cross platform creator work." Is this talking about how the Mac and Windows verions work together? Or is this talking about platforms that we are able to publish to?

• wolala123wolala123 Member Posts: 248

Possible to add android back button? :D

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@erockross said:
    Sounds great
    Can anyone help me out with understanding what is meant by "New cross platform creator work." Is this talking about how the Mac and Windows verions work together? Or is this talking about platforms that we are able to publish to?

its a single codebase for both mac and windows creators.

• bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375

@wolala123 said:
    Possible to add android back button? :D

Make a rule, when key is pressed. Then type in back.

@jonmulcahy said:
    its a single codebase for both mac and windows creators.

Single code base? So less work in the future because, you update one gamesalad, instead of a Mac and a PC gamesalad?.. When I hear cross platform, I think it's already cross platform. Because it's available on Mac and PC. But single code base makes some sense to me.

• wolala123wolala123 Member Posts: 248

So far i only know back button only applied on Tizen.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

When I say "cross platform creator," I mean a single version of creator that works on multiple platforms. Plus a revamp of the UI!

@CodeWizard said:
    When I say "cross platform creator," I mean a single version of creator that works on multiple platforms. Plus a revamp of the UI!

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm really looking forward to that new UI and the improvements which you have in store for us.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I don't know about everyone else, but I'm really looking forward to that new UI and the improvements which you have in store for us.

Im actually rather terrified of the potential UI changes. Fingers crossed they nail that one cause man it had the potential to train wreck all of us old timers workflows

@tenrdrmer - Granted. I like the current UI that we have on mac, but there are some really nice things in Windows that would make everything so much faster. Backstage, for example, would be very nice. The ability to check and alter an actors X and Y positions without double clicking on them would be fantastic. Small things like that I would gladly welcome to our current UI.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@CodeWizard‌ Facebook integration would be terrific. I think many of us have difficulty getting enough exposure for our apps and users posting on Facebook would be tremendous help.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I am so looking forward to the new UI, but like @tenrdrmer I am terrified of it too :) I know exactly where everything is now, and I can work very quickly doing what I need to do. I know it won't be too bad to relearn everything, but I'm still scared :)

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@tenrdrmer‌ @jonmulcahy‌

Obligatory youtube vid for you (and me!)

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

The multiplayer and Network are great additions.

When will we have more access to the major features of our devices such as the camera roll, camera or gyroscope?

I feel very comfortable using Gamesalad and want to produce tools and activities for education and the dyslexic as well as games.

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

Any update on when Windows will get 0.11?

• Anyone having problems installing the viewer:

No architectures to compile for (ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES, active arch=armv7s, VALID_ARCHS=armv6 armv7).

Got latest xcode and ipad 4 running ios 6.0

• StoneclipseStoneclipse Member, PRO Posts: 130

When can we expect Adsense for our game? Currently the only banner ads option we get is iAds which doesn't work for android games. I think Adsense is a great ad network for apps on the iOS and Android market. I imagined it would be easy to implement this option for us since we would only need a html code box to input the ads into our game.

• apitlekaysapitlekays Coventry, United KingdomMember Posts: 67

@CodeWizard said:

1. Release 12. Adding Google IAP and basic Facebook integration.

Funny no one got excited about Google IAP. I'm loving the direction of where GameSalad is heading. This is the stuff of LEGEND! :#

Dat GameSalad Research Guy :D

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

@apitlekays said:
    Funny no one got excited about Google IAP. I'm loving the direction of where GameSalad is heading. This is the stuff of LEGEND! :#

I am excited about Google IAP - FINALLY! But we need a Windows version first, unless the delay will include Google IAP.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

You beat me to the punch @apitlekays‌! Something that has been a need for a long time. Has kept me from making some apps for Android because of me needing iAP for consumables! I hope that comes soon as it is a NEED!!!

• MonDieu72MonDieu72 Member Posts: 27

Yes! Finally we get facebook integration. Can we have snap to grid in the scene editor to soon? Another big one would be to get rid of that horrible soundlag on android devices.

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197

Can't wait! Hopefully more banner ad providers for the other platforms along with IAP's.

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74

@CodeWizard said:

Will Windows be getting an updated creator before the cross platform is released?

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@myke66‌
    Yes.

Is the cross platform creator like a multi year endeavor, or like less than a year endeavor? I understand it's early on and you don't want to misjudge times, but just something I can generally get my head around.. If u can't say, that's fine, too.