State of GameSalad on 5-8-2014

2»

Comments

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838

Say, would you guys also be planning on including google player services as well?

The reason I ask is I implemented Game Circle on a build for Google Play so there would be leader boards and was flooded with 1 star reviews as to why I wouldn't just use the native leaderboard services.

• CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90

Hey Guys,

Not sure if its mentioned, but there is a bug I found that really makes creating games hard. Easily recreate it by creating a rule, press the + sign to add conditions, do this more than 3 times. Then press the - to get rid of them, but i can only get rid of one condition. How do you get rid of the other conditions?
    Anyone else having this issue?

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@CodeCell‌ Click on the condition you want to delete in the rule, then press the '-' key

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• mobiazzammobiazzam Member, PRO Posts: 50

Add AdMob please.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483
    edited May 2014

@CodeWizard How about having Gamesalad interface some thing like Houdini or Nuke "Node base structure" in Gamesalad instead of layer based ,most of the softwares moving towards node based which is more efficient and visually easy to build logic
    what i mean was

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/68310/node-based-gamesalad-interface?new=1

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

Still would love some basic support for Amazon Fire TV standard controller. Do not need full Joy Stick support.

It would be great to just get a few KeyEvent mapping like - KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER, - UP, DOWN, LEFT & RIGHT. I think we could do a lot with just a few KeyEvents for the Amazon Fire TV Remote. GameSalad was able to add Tizen "BACK" key very easily. Maybe you can do the same with Amazon TV.

Right now there are so many games for iOs that you can't get noticed. Since there are almost no games for Amazon TV evan a basic GameSalad game would get noticed!!

• wrhmediawrhmedia Member Posts: 70

I am totally on board with Amazon TV compatibility with Joy Stick controls. Being part of the first wave of developers to jump into a new market like Amazon TV could prove to be a huge advantage.

• mobiazzammobiazzam Member, PRO Posts: 50

Can you say more detail about "Facebook integration"?

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@madhanlab‌
    I'm not a fan of flow-based node visual coding environments. I've used plenty of them. The problem is how they (fail) to organize the logic well. You end up with an unreadable mess of boxes with tangled / crossing lines. Eww.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited May 2014

@CodeWizard said:
    madhanlab‌
    I'm not a fan of flow-based node visual coding environments. I've used plenty of them. The problem is how they (fail) to organize the logic well. You end up with an unreadable mess of boxes with tangled / crossing lines. Eww.

It's the same deal with AfterEffects, not an SDK, but when switching between the flow-based node view and the standard layered timeline you can easily see how after as little as 40 or 50 layers the node view ends up a tangled mess where the layered view is just as neat and logical whether it has 10 layers or a couple of hundred.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Yeah node based UI is ok, but has it's own set of problems. What would be nice is color coding for rulesets, an expression editor with multiple lines, Search functionality on Actors/Layers, multi-select, and visible x,y on the scene editor for current actor. But i'm sure the GS team knows this by now.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@CodeWizard from the past year Gamesalad is improving a lot,so may new features are introduced,and coming more ,so it opens the gates to create complex games and apps which increase in creating complex code.Present UI is awesome if we get some Visual improvements, some thing like custom Colors to behaviours and expressions(defined colors for text,numbers,) so it is easy to debug or update our logic after sometime.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I do no think a Node based GUI suits GS at all. It's such a metaphorical and mental jump for many and I usually see people fail miserably at it.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

I'm with CodeWizard and Socks on this, no, no, nodes for GS (that was poor typing, not a stu, stu, stutter).

• CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90

@Codewizard, is there any consideration for text boxes, or more ways to have control over display text, or even text in general? Just been doing some playing around since it was brought up and keyboard input looks ugly, I can't limit the length of box I want the text to fit into. Isn't this important for game design. High scores etc. with this new multiplayer, it would be good to have some control options for text to go with it :)

• apitlekaysapitlekays Coventry, United KingdomMember Posts: 67

@CodeWizard‌ , is this something GS can do in the (near) future?

Applinks by Facebook

Dat GameSalad Research Guy :D

• braverybravery Member, PRO Posts: 35

Any chance to get analytics tools integrated like Flurry or similar one?

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@CodeWizard if no custom fonts are on the very near horizon then at least a thin version and a bold version of the fonts we already have would be a great addition to GS. Especially thin fonts since iOS 7 has made thin or ultra thin fonts very popular these days.

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197

@CodeWizard said:
    madhanlab‌

Nodes get complicated pretty quickly. Reminds me of my days using Maya. Keep me as far away from Maya with the design of GS as possible.

• dimsdaledimsdale Member, PRO Posts: 495

is there a problem with the [Open URL] command?
    it was using it to call in a FaceBook page that I created, but now it doesn't seem to be working??
    For iOS, is it better Tick:- "Use Embedded Browser" or not?

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854

Hey I know this is maybe not the place as it's not about GameSalad itself but...

The Roadmap page on the website has not been updated since 22 Jan and still has v0.11 pre release information etc.

I know full well that once you get something up it's easy to forget but it does not look good when you're missing so much good news to be shared there!

Just a wee reminder like the last one I gave a while ago.

It's mid May - time for an update @CodeMonkey‌ @ForumNinja‌ ??

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854

In regards to node based logic, I will take the advice from people who have used the software but throw this in to the mold, here is a photo from a local game development house http://www.custardsquare.com/gallery-6col-team.htm and it shows the way they are working on some of their games. For adventure games nodes are a great way to prototype a game. Not necessarily build it but concept it up it's got advantages for a team in a situation like this...

Interesting to look at it in this way.

• JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Member Posts: 307

Release 12. Adding Google IAP and basic Facebook integration.

I want to give you 100,000 Awesome's...

...and a hug.

Google IAP is something that will benefit a TON of us, including myself. ;) I'm very excited about this, you have no idea.

This thread was like Christmas for me. Haha. I cannot wait for Windows Creator's next update!

• ogagogag Member Posts: 37

One thing I would love GS to have is "zooming-out" in the work area.

"Zooming-out "+ middle mouse click pan in work area

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

The ability to detach the backstage plane and drag it to a second monitor is a HUGE bonus within the Windows version and would be much welcomed on any new Mac release.

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@codewizard wanted to let you know that previously my game would have a problem where if it was left open in the background of the phone for a few hours it would start to play choppy, a problem I could not find a solution for. With version .11 that problem is gone completely. So grateful for the work you guys have done. Not sure if you know what fixed that problem, seems like it might be similar to peoples issues of memory stacking up. Very excited as now I see no issues of my game not being what I want it to be.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

Looking forward for the Google IAP. It should be a basic feature. GameSalad is absolutely useless for an Android platform without basic monetization options (IAP, Admob etc.). What about Applovin? I am seeing wonderful eCPMs on many developer blogs. What about Video apps? "No one" will continue with a subscription when they have almost no option to get their money back. Revmob and Chartboost are not performing well on Android platform (yes, I know about optimizing). GS is a great tool for iOS platform, but Android? Everyone should watch new metrics with Android devices sold last year. It is a huge number!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

Looking forward to this week's state of gamesalad. Can't wait to see what y'all have been cooking

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

And there is definitely missing monetization option for MORE GAMES button (Chartboost). Why there is that insane delay? Of course 0.11 release... I know... but we should all together focus on monetization. It is usually few lines of code! BTW: Can I use CHB and Revmob ad together on startup or during the game? It is usual in games with good monetization strategies.