State of GameSalad 6-20-2014

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

@PhilipCC said:
    Braydon_SFX‌ If Nightlies were called "Braydon Builds" guess who would cop all the blame when things didn't work? Besides all the stuff you make and provide us works all the time!

You've got a point. Alright, We'll call it " @Socks‌ Builds"

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Braydon_SFX said:
    You've got a point. Alright, We'll call it "@tatiang Builds"

Agreed, good call, I am sure tatiang will be pleased with his new role. :p

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited June 2014

@CodeWizard said:
    7. We're looking to hire another web developer.

Heh, I found that interesting because if I was the web developer I'd just clean house... new forum, new arcade, new market, new home page. It's in Austin though. Seems like a nice place, but too far for me.

I think it's a good idea for GameSalad to look into what StormyStudio is doing...
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/64039/creating-your-own-asynchronous-server/p1

Basically, a decent web developer could make a GameSalad network. I don't know the politics at GameSalad, but perhaps that could be leveraged to make GameSalad more money.

Also @CodeWizard what's the hold up with Metrics Gathering? It's still at the bottom... http://gamesalad.com/creator/roadmap ...I'm surprised at how hard it is to remove something.

Combined, GameSalad could really get cooking. If Metrics Gathering is really so important to GameSalad, there should be incentive for developers to share that data. A gaming network is a good reason, as that's reasonable justification for sharing player data. For those that don't want that, they could use GameSalad to make their own private gaming network. It seems like that should make everyone happy.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Photics said:
    Combined, GameSalad could really get cooking.

I disagree regarding completely cleaning house, but there are some really good points here. I suspect that running the multiplayer servers would be too expensive to be a realistic prospect for GameSalad, but perhaps a well-built too to run your own network that's tightly integrated with GameSalad would indeed be just the ticket.

What you say about the metrics gathering is spot on. They have this information, why not make the option to opt out or to get access to your apps metrics a Pro feature? I can understand why they'd not want to give even anonymised access to the overall metrics, but it would be a fantastic tool for developers to have their own.

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291
    edited June 2014

@CodeWizard said:
    We really should think about changing that name from 'nightly' to something else...

Here's some off the top of my head:

-"Uni Build"

-"Epic Build"

-"Build For You"

-"Ninja Build"

-"Daily Build"

-"You've Got Build"

-"Indie Build"

-"Mortal Build"

-"Level Up Build"

-"Retro Build"

-"Re-Build"

-"Wee Build"

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

they should be called IR builds.
    then RC builds
    then the release build

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172

@Armelline said:
    I disagree regarding completely cleaning house, but there are some really good points here.

Well, there is an argument for keeping stuff the way it is. Switching to one system is a lot of work and it creates significant disadvantages.

Still, I think it's a good discussion for a new hire. That could be one of the interview questions. "What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of switching the website over to Drupal?"

Advantages...
    * Unified look
    * Easier to manage content and reuse content in more than one place
    * Single-Sign On
    * Easier to customize
    * Potential for advanced features
    * The arcade could be a lot better

Disadvantages...
    * Bad timing. The upgrade to Drupal 8 is a lot of work and that's not out yet.
    * Forum is not as functional as Vanilla Forums
    * Possible Security Issues - Bigger system is a bigger target.
    * Drupal can be high maintenance (Ha, that's why I run my site on WordPress.)

I suspect that running the multiplayer servers would be too expensive to be a realistic prospect for GameSalad

You might be right about this. Considering that they went with Vanilla Forums, GameSalad might not want the headache of running something so complex. Although, if sites like Newgrounds and Kongregate can do it, why can't GameSalad do it? If GameSalad can be a fun place to play games online, then that can encourage more developers to be more than just content consumers. They can be content creators. Hiring a great developer is a key step in that direction.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Braydon_SFX‌ @Socks Thanks guys, you just gave me another free lesson, the GameSalad Pass the Buck attribute.

@KillerPenguinStudios‌

• " The Maybe Built "

• " The Suck It and See Build "
  • CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90

Well I sure hope its not going from nightly to weekly or to monthly or even yearly builds. :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@CodeWizard said:
    We really should think about changing that name from 'nightly' to something else...

SideSalad 0.12.1.4

SideSalad 0.12.1.5

SideSalad 0.12.1.6

. . . and so on.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@Socks‌ no it should go first house salad. Then Ceaser salad. Then last is greek salad.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

@Socks said:
    .SideSalad 0.12.1.4 . . and so on.

I could go for that.

• CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90

Any chance the collision detection of an actor when its size is increased bug is going to be fixed. Sort of makes the change size behaviours pointless.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but what about "FruitSalad 0.12.1.4" and so on?

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@CodeWizard when the next nightly build comes out will I be able to open a RC project with it?

• ycanycan Member, PRO Posts: 207

@CodeWizard‌ What about Unicode Characters Importing to Table ?

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881

@Socks I like SideSalad.
    Cool list. Looking forward to the updates.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@CodeWizard what about PreSalad 0.12.1.4

• cannixcannix Member Posts: 36

Facebook is the first feature I desperately needs, all of our customers to facebook sharing, we really can not wait

edited June 2014

@CodeWizard what about App boy integration ,push notifications...i think even if we have good number of downloads..its very important how much time that user spends in our Apps.Every day 100 thousands of new apps are releasing it is necessary to remind about our app,Every one knows that app download rate falls in a month...so we earn more income in first week of app release...if we want stable income though out with out releasing new version means the only way is push Notifications...this helps in getting more income through Ads .

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37

@CodeWizard‌ "Expect my next one at the regularly scheduled Wednesday time." Tsk tsk tsk.. You better have a GOOD excuse! Jk

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Daveinpublic‌ :) I was just thinking the same thing. Man, I'm juggling plates here. Will try to get this done tonight.

• Will GS add new feature for Loading Wheel?
    I want to turn Loading Wheel off, i want to use my own Loading Indicator.

Loading Wheel doesn't look nice.
    @CodeWizard‌
    @BlackCloakGS‌

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    edited July 2014

@CodeWizard - You can delete the GS Network option. I have been rejected today because of promoting third party games. Apple doesn't like it now.

edited July 2014

@CodeWizard Again week is missing... no updates... may be big good news is coming :)

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854

@Skyrocket_Entertainment said:
    Will GS add new feature for Loading Wheel?
    I want to turn Loading Wheel off, i want to use my own Loading Indicator.

Loading Wheel doesn't look nice.
    CodeWizard‌
    BlackCloakGS‌

You can do this at publishing stage.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

Great! You have deleted the "GS Network" option but now I am not able to disable it from my current project...

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621