GameSalad Joystick support

124»

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Got another question. If we had gamepad support what gamepads/joysticks should we support?

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694
    edited January 2015

--iOS

Steel stratus

Moga

Logitech

Razor (iOS controller

--android
    Don't know much about android controller so just use this link and Just some these would be good
    http://www.androidauthority.com/best-bluetooth-gaming-controllers-403184/

--Mac/PC

Ps4 controller (mainly for pc/Mac)

--other stuff

Ouya and fire tv support also
    (Maybe android tv later)

Mainly just focus on getting a lot of the big brands

--big brands

Razor

Logitech

edited January 2015

Can you be more specific they make a lot of controllers. Logitech has been making them for years.

edited January 2015

I was mainly thinking of powershell for iOS.

(P.S., I have lots of iOS controllers and an Ouya, perfect beta tester ;) )

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited January 2015

I think the fire TV controller (and remote as well) should be on the top of the list. In my opinion it's probably the easiest way to hit a large untapped market.

Oyua should follow next

I took a look at amazon for what other devices are popular:

Logitech Gamepad F710

Moga Rebel

8Bitdo Bluetooth Wireless Classic NES Controller (because it's an NES controller :))

Just would like to say that Ouya is a gaming console and Amazon is in media player that just happens to play games. Also the Amazon fire TV does not have any expandable memory and amazon's fire TV store is more unorganized than Ouyas.

@scottharrrules43 said:
    Just would like to say that Ouya is a gaming console and Amazon is in media player that just happens to play games. Also the Amazon fire TV does not have any expandable memory and amazon's fire TV store is more unorganized than Ouyas.

yes but i bet that there are many more amazon fire tv / fire tv sticks than ouyas.... and people with amazon devices actually buy stuff ;)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2015
    edited January 2015

@jonmulcahy said:
    yes but i bet that there are many more amazon fire tv / fire tv sticks than ouyas.... and people with amazon devices actually

If we were to count both Ouyas out I thinks Ouya might be slightly ahead in units sold.

Edit: Amazon has not given any number but read this article. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-03-ouya-boss-on-fire-tv-gaming-isnt-an-added-bonus-for-us

Also Amazon has crap tons of third parties. Ouya is made for indies. I bet about 99.99999999% of Gamesalad developers are indies.

Also there is a reason why the controller is not included with the Amazon fire tv or stick.

• Gamelover456Gamelover456 Member Posts: 378

What about the Wii U GamePad?

edited January 2015

@scottharrrules43‌
    all valid points, however I still beleive the amazon ecosystem is better than Ouya:

The Ouya is a very targeted device, one that has not had the best reviews, i even read a few months ago the owners were shopping it around. But its targeted towards people who want to play android games on their TV. Not a huge market in my opinion (compared to iOS). Nobody is talking about the Ouya anymore, its old news. I feel we missed that boat by a year.

Amazon has a very well built ecosystem. People are buying the fire TV to get access to all their prime benefits. They are going to browse the store and come across your game. I feel your game is going to be put in front of a lot more people on the fire tv. It's like a trojan horse into people's homes. they have a gaming system they didn't know they wanted.

edit:
    you can't even buy an Ouya anymore. Not on their official store or on amazon. That doesn't exactly instill confidence in me :)

@jonmulcahy‌
    Amazon has a very well built ecosystem. People are buying the fire TV to get access to all their prime benefits. They are going to browse the store and come across your game. I feel your game is going to be put in front of a lot more people on the fire tv. It's like a trojan horse into people's homes. they have a gaming system they didn't know they wanted.

But how many people are going to pay for the controller. I guess you could try to just use remote for flappy bird type games. More build for developers yah(sarcasm). Also Amazon is very clutter design as said by lots of reviews. Ouya is build to represent everyone. It has a some power but not up to the level of Ouya power(especially new one). Also Ouya is more open source than Amazon.

Also check Ouya Twitter(another thing Ouya has over fire tv)

They said they are making more and just ran out but the have lots at local targets. This is common with all devices including iPhone and galaxy's.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Gamesalad already has a growing relationship with amazon, might as well support fire tv controller, remote as a priority. It will benefit everyone, plus amazon is here to stay and will be alive for years to come.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited January 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    Gamesalad already has a growing relationship with amazon, might as well support fire tv controller, remote as a priority. It will benefit everyone, plus amazon is here to stay and will be alive for years to come.

I think they should just do both at the same time am tired of arguing (and real life tired). I made my points.

Cough...Ouya will most likely be bought by another big company, also show it want to work with game engine look what they posted on their Twitter. They just added unreal engine support. And have had a good relationship with corona.(sorry about mentioning other engines). .. Cough

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Got another question. If we had gamepad support what gamepads/joysticks should we support?

Ouya controller, Amazon controller, Xbox 360 controller...

Can you add the ability to figure out which controller is connected and if a control is connected?

of course you would know if a controller is connect or not

@BlackCloakGS said:
    of course you would know if a controller is connect or not

What about being able to figure out which controller is connected?

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

The Ouya controller is one of the worst things I have experienced in recent years. That being said, Ouya just got a 10 million dollar breath of fresh air (investment)...does not mean we need to support a controller designed to used with a specific "console", especially when there are plenty of basic-needs controller options out there.

I'm have a lot of controllers, many of which have been posted in this thread, but I'd rather see focus on getting basic support to standardized Bluetooth and usb controllers. Next thing you know someone is going to ask for support for the old PSone flight stick.

Yes you will know what controller is connected.

edited January 2015

@RP said:
    The Ouya controller is one of the worst things I have experienced in recent years. That being said, Ouya just got a 10 million dollar breath of fresh air (investment)...does not mean we need to support a controller designed to used with a specific "console", especially when there are plenty of basic-needs controller options out there.

I'm have a lot of controllers, many of which have been posted in this thread, but I'd rather see focus on getting basic support to standardized Bluetooth and usb controllers. Next thing you know someone is going to ask for support for the old PSone flight stick.

That a great idea lets add PSone flight stick(JK)

I agree with the controller not being the best the new one is 10X better. Also you can hook up just about anything to it. That being said Ouya is the best micro Console on the market if compared to PS tv and other ones.

Edit: thank @BlackCloakGS just want to make sure that important feature makes it in, controllers differ a lot.

Edit part 2: Also RP I don't want all focus on Ouya. I love the idea of PC, Mac, IOS, and andoird controller, I would love that. I am just saying it be a great feature. I am just have a micro console battle.

edited February 2015

Just saw update in bugzilla thanks, cannot wait until 13.3

• zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405

@RP said:

I use my PS3 controller with the Ouya

@zzap64 said:
    I use my PS3 controller with the Ouya

Me too

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

@scottharrrules43 said:
    Just saw update in bugzilla thanks, cannot wait until 13.3

Agreed! Nicely done @BlackCloakGS

@RondoRocket said:
    Agreed! Nicely done BlackCloakGS

Holy crap holy crap

Kindle fire here I come! :)

I made a quick demo, and it works awesome. I hooked up a PS4 controller to my macbook via bluetooth, and I'm able to capture all the events. This is a very basic project, it just displays what button you are pushing.

You can find it in the RC thread