State of GameSalad on 9-26-2014

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Hello yet again everyone and sorry for the delay! I’ve gathered some more updates for you since last weeks’ State of GameSalad post. Enjoy!

1. Release Candidate 0.12.5. We have a lot of manpower being spent on squashing the bugs that were released in Mac Creators’ release 12. More release candidates will continue to come as as we chug along fixing known issues. If you’d like more info check out this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/72624/release-candidate-0-12-5-is-available/p1

2. Release 12 for Windows users. (This is the Windows version of Mac creators’ release 0.12.0) This is being put on pause for a little while we work on solidifying release 12 for Mac users. After we’ve got that all sorted out Windows Creator will be be receiving lots of work to get it all caught up with Mac Creator. Also I’ve heard that once we have windows all caught up that we will be trying to get Windows and Mac creators’ next updates out at the same time!

3. Release 0.13.0. for Mac users. (The first big release since 0.11.0. and planned to come out after release 0.12.0) Work on this is also being put on hold some while version 12 is being stabilized. As you probably know, a couple of the major additions that will come with release 13 are facebook integration and the new rendering system. It’s my understanding that our first pass at facebook integration will include being able to post to walls (images, text, and even URLs). The new rendering system should bring improved performance and memory usage with it which is great news!

4. New nightly build for Mac. This is also being put on hold some while we work on solidifying release 12 for Mac users. I’ve been informed that these should start coming out after we have finished fixing up release 12.

5. New marketplace. Not much to update here due to running into an issue with our tech stack. However, after some major refactoring, we're back on track!

6. Cross platform creator. As much as I would like to share with you guys, it’s still not time.

That’s all for this week. More info coming at you guys next week!

Comments

• ViralThirst GamesViralThirst Games Member, PRO Posts: 4

Windows 12 probably wont come for years lol

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited September 2014

@ForumNinja‌ Thanks for the update. It has been a busy week. The RC 0.12.5 thread is a doozy. 179 comments and still climbing. I think it has caused more confusion than clarification. Maybe you could distil it into a short summary of how we should proceed right now?

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

Can't wait for version 13... that's a biggie :)
    Thanks Nina!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Thanks for the continuing updates!

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

I love how expeditious you guys are at squashing bugs and enhancing GS. Thank you for the timely updates!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited September 2014

Oh yeah! New RC out!

Cool!

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

So @ForumNinja, everything is on hold while you work out the bugs...LOL

• stahboystahboy Member, PRO Posts: 150

Good job GS team! Awesome work! :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looking forward to the new rendering system !

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

** New rendering system ! ** :) :o :p

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• KennedyEKennedyE PH, NigeriaMember, PRO Posts: 34

@ForumNinja "...Also I’ve heard that once we have windows all caught up that we will be trying to get Windows and Mac creators’ next updates out at the same time!"

That is 'justice' and 'fairness'. Let updates be co-released for Mac and Windows, at same time. I use Windows PC Creator only because I don't have Mac. Though I am a Pro member yet I can't make any game because windows creator has not been updated, just patiently waiting... Cheers!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@ForumNinja said:
    6. Cross platform creator. As much as I would like to share with you guys, it’s still not time. But I do accept bribes and look forward to receiving good bottles of wine, aged whiskey and fine cigars.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@KennedyE said:
    ForumNinja "...Also I’ve heard that once we have windows all caught up that we will be trying to get Windows and Mac creators’ next updates out at the same time!"

That is 'justice' and 'fairness'. Let updates be co-released for Mac and Windows, at same time. I use Windows PC Creator only because I don't have Mac. Though I am a Pro member yet I can't make any game because windows creator has not been updated, just patiently waiting... Cheers!

There wasn't a windows version not long ago so the Mac version had a head start this is why windows is back a bit.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

It may be an unpopular opinion but I'd be all for dropping the Windows version entirely so that more resources could be funnelled into the Mac version.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@Armelline said:
    It may be an unpopular opinion but I'd be all for dropping the Windows version entirely so that more resources could be funnelled into the Mac version.

Yes, I was thinking the same (it will never happen though). It would be a quite interesting poll to see what the community would vote for (personal guess: 70 % would say drop the windows version completely / kill it off and focus on the Mac version). What many new users don't realize is that a Mac is required in order to publish for IOS and Mac which is a requirement from Apple (even though there are different solutions for that).

• POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited September 2014

Version 0.13.0 will be amazing with all those additions!
    Hope you guys give us the option to upload games larger then 50mb to google play.

If you build a game and its gonna take more then 50mb in size, you should vote for it: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=188

Roy.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

@POM said:
    Hope you guys give is the option to upload games larger then 50mb to google play.

If you build a game and its gonna take more then 50mb in size, you should vote for it: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=188

Roy.

Vote added Roy

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@POM said:
    Hope you guys give is the option to upload games larger then 50mb to google play.

Roy.

Voted!

@Armelline‌ & @JSproject
    I'm with you guys, drop Windows. A survey was taken of the attendees in the July online Meetup and all were Mac users. ;) Also the vast majority were in the 25 to 45 age group if I recall correctly.

@ForumNinja‌ Maybe a survey of Pro Forum members could be taken to see how many paying customers want a Windows Creator.

I also wouldn't mind if the Windows version got dropped, if it meant more resources and faster development of the Mac version.

Also, it would also clear the Forum of those pesky questions where you go: "Hmm, what error? OH!!! You are using WINDOWS! (just kidding, of course)

@PhilipCC said:
    Maybe a survey of Pro Forum members could be taken to see how many paying customers want a Windows Creator.

Well, current non-PRO users are likely to become PRO if they like the software, so I don't see that as an objective representation.

edited September 2014

@pHghost said:

Well, current non-PRO users are likely to become PRO if they like the software, so I don't see that as an objective representation.

It may be better to ask the question of the non-Pro members: Would you become a Pro Member if there was a bug-free, non-beta, Stable Release of GameSalad with no more new features added except for what has been slated for 0.13? >:)

And realistic answer to that would probably be "I don't know." Unless you put time in and learn the software first, a lot of people won't buy it, because they aren't sure yet.

Yes, there are people who love it or see the benefits from the start, and they go for it right away, but not most people, I'd say, they need more time.

I see what you mean. Until there is a stable release that will build apps that can be monetised, most people will stay on the sidelines, biding their time, or worse still go elsewhere.

• eschwartzeschwartz Member, PRO Posts: 22

I'm a native Windows guy. But, due to Apples requirement, I bought a Mac to develop on. It wasn't that tough. After little use I saw the value immediately and went pro. So, from a windows guy, if dropping the windows version progresses the Mac version faster I say dump it. Now, I'm a coder by nature. I'd love to see a code window behind the drag and drop for those of us who'd rather just type it out. Some things are very tedious using drag and drop. I'd also like to see nested loops ;). But, please stay focused. The table saving issue with android is killing me. I'm very pleased with your dedication to fixing the product. Thank you!

• jorkosjorkos Member, PRO Posts: 353

Can you add app sales to the marketplace? Now that you can transfer apps, there is a market for whole apps....

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

Pleased to see the new rendering and Facebook integration on the way.

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62

@jorkos said:
    Can you add app sales to the marketplace? Now that you can transfer apps, there is a market for whole apps....

That's an interesting idea. It's probably not a good fit for the Marketplace, though, because an app can only ever be bought by one person (unless that person then chooses to resell to someone else). The Marketplace, in its current design, focuses on things that can be purchased by many people and downloaded.

I think selling templates mostly accomplishes what you'd want to do.

@WebWarrior‌ @jorkos Would it be permissible under the Forum Rules to start a new thread where people could list apps they have for outright sale? The parties could then just PM or directly email each other to discuss/negotiate, but not do it publicly in the thread. (Not that I have any I wish to sell at present.)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Going to get a State post tonight, @ForumNinja‌ ? Keep up the good work!