State of GameSalad on 9-26-2014

Comments

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
    edited October 2014

@Braydon_SFX‌ I figured I'd hold out a little bit longer since it'd be a very similar update of "all this stuff is on hold while we work out the bugs, but great progress is being made on squashing these pests!" :)

• dvdkingdvdking Member Posts: 10

Drop windows? I hope you are kidding.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@dvdking said:
    Drop windows? I hope you are kidding.

i know that'd leave a lot of glass.

once the universal creator comes out with a single codebase a lot of this goes away. I'd rather they focus their energies on that instead of trying to get the existing windows creator to limp along behind the mac version. everyone wins!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jonmulcahy said:
    once the universal creator comes out with a single codebase a lot of this goes away. I'd rather they focus their energies on that instead of trying to get the existing windows creator to limp along behind the mac version. everyone wins!

Now that makes a lot of sense.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@jonmulcahy said:

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

They may have to catch windows up so they can join them together unless of course they are starting from scratch. Be a good question to ask at the monthly meet up.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@colander said:
    They may have to catch windows up so they can join them together unless of course they are starting from scratch. Be a good question to ask at the monthly meet up.

This is an all new creator, they are starting from scratch using a single code base for both products

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@jonmulcahy said:
    This is an all new creator, they are starting from scratch using a single code base for both products

Interesting, if it has taken them 5 years to get this far I wonder how long it will take them to do that.

• Gamelover456Gamelover456 Member Posts: 378

@ForumNinja what happened to the state of gamesalad posts? it has been 20 days since the last post.

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

This is a suggestion to GS team since you are in the process of FB integration .. if you can trigger an event when the player actually post on fb ( or tweet ) we can reward that action with in game give-aways .. that will help tremendously in the marketing effort to spread the word about the games what do you guys think?

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited October 2014

@mshuraih I agree! as it stands now, we can only hope the player actually ends up posting on FB or liking the FB pages while potentially rewarding them for nothing :#

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Best you can do with FB atm is a Go to URL

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u= YOURAPPURL

It gives them a chance to post with your app attached the post.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• 2create2create Member, PRO Posts: 90

Sounds great!!!

Yops – the innovative puzzle game for iOs – http://apple.co/1ESvIlC
    Other games - http://appstore.com/flashpromllc/

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@raycur09‌ it only sends them to the desktop site as opposed to the mobile app though, correct?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@supafly129 said:
    raycur09‌ it only sends them to the desktop site as opposed to the mobile app though, correct?

Yes that is correct.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Gamelover456‌ I'm aware it's been a little while since a State of GameSalad post has been put up. This is just due to there not being much to update. Simply put: a lot of our plans are being slowed down while we focus most of our energy on getting a stable 12 release out for everyone (you can check out our most recent release candidate and see some of our progress in this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/73392/release-candidate-0-12-9-is-available).

We're getting close to having a stable 12 release out and after that I'll get you guys that nice, shiny, new State of GameSalad post :)

Gist of our current state: Working hard to get you guys a stable release 12 and a little bit of focus on the new marketplace/cross platform creator.

I'd also like to thank everyone again for being patient and helping to find bugs in our RC's and I hope this ties you guys over whilst waiting for stable release 12 to come out! :)

@ForumNinja‌ RC 0.12.9 is the best news for a long time. The only thing better will be when it gets the certificate of approval.

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

@ForumNinja‌ I feel like your missing some of the points of a state of GameSalad.
    It doesn't really matter if you have anything to report or not, it's the fact that you guys are willing to take the time and let is know that you are still working on bugs or what ever is being worked. It's building up the communication that everyone had issues with. It's why this sort of thing was created. But here we are almost three weeks later and not an offical post.

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    edited October 2014

@Tiny_Ideas said:
    ForumNinja‌ I feel like your missing some of the points of a state of GameSalad.
    It doesn't really matter if you have anything to report or not, it's the fact that you guys are willing to take the time and let is know that you are still working on bugs or what ever is being worked. It's building up the communication that everyone had issues with. It's why this sort of thing was created. But here we are almost three weeks later and not an offical post.

Hate to say it, but you should get use to it because @CodeWizard‌ was on top of this too for a little while and then went cold.... just like @ForumNinja‌ is now...

"We are working bugs and things so there really is nothing to update"

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2014

I think it's a bit crazy that the GS team has made the choice not to fix the memory related bugs in 0.12 (bugs that already has been identified) and that makes apps leak memory and eventually crash. I would hardly call 0.12 "stable" until those issues are fixed. Sure, memory issues are on schedule to be fixed in the 0.13 version but that one is unlikely to be released this year. The GS team has said they will basically stop working on the MAC version once 0.12 is released and focus on the windows version until that is on pair with the MAC version (something that will take lots of time for sure).

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Wboko said:
    "We are working bugs and things so there really is nothing to update"

The specific bugs that are being worked on, the progress that is being made, what's holding things up etc. This kind of time is when a state of GameSalad post is most important.

• BigeaterBigeater SingaporeMember Posts: 35

looking forward to GS 0.13.0! So happy to get the updates on what's happening from u guys! it just get better! :smiley:

I have been trying to get this answered. Until a new windows version is released, does that mean the windows users will have our code exposed? Or, has this been addressed? I have been working on a game, but I don't want to release it until this is fixed.

@dvdking I believe encryption was added in 0.12.1 "Added file encryption for published apps", also mentioned again in 0.12.4 see the release notes. I can't find a mention of Windows Creator though?

edited October 2014

@JSproject said:
    I think it's a bit crazy that the GS team has made the choice not to fix the memory related bugs in 0.12 (bugs that already has been identified) and that makes apps leak memory and eventually crash.

I agree. How can we release apps that will crash? I am hoping to submit two that are nearly complete before Apple shuts iTunes Connect about 10 days before Christmas.

That means submit by at least the last week in November because approvals, or rejections, are taking so long according to others. :s

• POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited October 2014

A friendly reminder about uploading games larger then 50mb to google play, using expansion files.
    Very important now with the new extremely high device resolutions, that causes a big file size due to big images.

Guys, if you build a game and its gonna take more then 50mb in size, you should vote for it: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=188

Roy.

@PhilipCC said:
    dvdking I believe encryption was added in 0.12.1 "Added file encryption for published apps", also mentioned again in 0.12.4 see the release notes. I can't find a mention of Windows Creator though?

windows creator is only up to 0.10.5, so I guess the answer is yes our code is exposed.

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

I just wish GS would get raid of the Windows version all together and spend the time where the money is and get the Mac version up to where it should be.... Hell, I would be happy if they just fixed social ingratiation and adding custom fonts!!!

• trashdinner@hotmail.comtrashdinner@hotmail.com Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2014

I used the PC and the MAC version equally and the only reason I completely switched to the MAC version is because it's almost exactly what you get on your device. Otherwise I think Creator for mac is slow and the window management is terrible :( On pc I can start typing lets say "Ru" in a box and press enter and boom a rule just appeared. It's just 10x faster and if you single click on an actor you can see and tweak its attributes right away without having to double click on a actor and then tweaking stuf and get back.

edited October 2014

@Tiny_Ideas‌ Very fair points.

I see that you guys feel strongly about having an official State of GameSalad post weekly even if there isn't much to update. I'll be sure to get one out for you guys this week!