Monster Robot Game Salad guides!

2»

Comments

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

Good work. Love the fact you don't treat us like babies. Just goes to show there isn't one way to make tutorials

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited December 2014

I agree there are different paces depending on the level of the topic. Doing advanced topics doesn't require backstory on the basics but when addressing topics geared tword the basics like building and using expressions new users need to understand how and why the expression is built and what is does. But to each his/her own. I'll keep my advice to myself. I know better shame on me.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited December 2014

@‌Tiny_Ideas What tutorials have been treating people like babies?

I'd like to see you answer for some of your statements. You have a habit of using hit and run tactics.

Great work @ashtmj there is a lot of love in these and it shows.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    I agree there are different paces depending on the level of the topic. Doing advanced topics doesn't require backstory on the basics but when addressing topics geared tword the basics like building and using expressions new users need to understand how and why the expression is built and what is does. But to each his/her own. I'll keep my advice to myself. I know better shame on me.

I find your tutorials a little long at times, but I know that if you are the intended audience - people new to GameSalad and to programming logic in general - they are very well judged. I think your introduction to logic tutorials should be required viewing for all people new to GameSalad. Don't let comments like that put you off, if he's even talking about you.

You, Braydon, jamie_c, ash... you all take very different approaches and all are entirely valid and helpful in different ways.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Armelline said:
    You, Braydon, jamie_c, ash... you all take very different approaches and all are entirely valid and helpful in different ways.

I agree - each of us has a different approach and teaching style. I think it goes to show what a great community we have where we all make tutorials to help those less experienced. I think that's great. Great job, Ash! Really like your tutorials!

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

@RP said:

I'd like to see you answer for some of your statements. You have a habit of using hit and run tactics.

@RP Maybe he was just stating he likes that its straight to the point, there's tutorials all over the internet about all sorts that do treat you like babies .. Maybe it was more of a general statement as to an 'insult' at another members vids.

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    But to each his/her own. I'll keep my advice to myself. I know better shame on me.

No one is saying for you to do that, you've offered your opinions which I think is very reasonable, it's up to Ash whether he decides to use it or not. Just because me and another member say they prefer the faster approach, no need to react with comments like that! It maybe really valuable to Ash.

End of the day, different styles for different folks, up to users to watch what suits them I guess .. Thats my last say on it, don't want to hijack the thread :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Yeah this is out of control. My bad on that sorry ashtjm.

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

@RP said:

There are so many tutorials for GameSalad, which is always a good thing, but some explain and re assure things that don't need to be said if your not new to GameSalad, but are talking about some more advance stuff. I enjoy Dave's videos when it comes to publishing, I enjoy braydon's for using the new table value expressions, and now I like the Ash's videos for other things that I may have skipped over, or forgotten about.

Either Wah, the time and effort In creating these are more than that of an average Joe. Thank you ;)

edited December 2014

@beefy_clyro No, I was not looking at it being an insult to anyone, but more of an "huh? Ezzzplain please".

@Tiny_Ideas Well that's cool enough for me then.

• ashtmjashtmj Member, PRO Posts: 405

@RP @Tiny_ideas @Braydon_SFX @Beefy_clyro @‌Armelline
    Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

Here is the latest, simple enemy AI
    walking on a patrol and starting/stopping a chase.

I also just uploaded (it should be live later today) how to make a inventory with limited spaces.
    whenever you pick up (or try to pick up) a item it will search over the table looking for space and react accordingly depending on the search result, it took me awhile to figure out a way to keep this real simple for a game I'm working on.
    hopefully this will be helpful for some :)

• RiveraonlineRiveraonline Member Posts: 54

Great!! Awesome!!

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

awesome tutorials mate :)