One More Game Jam? ONE MORE GAME JAM!

13»

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@PixelPowered it's just a static background image that's moved up the screen, and when it reaches a set height off screen, its height value is changed, through a change attribute so that it moves back to to below the screen so that it can repeat the move upscreen. There's a couple of actors below the screen, that randomly spawn the scenery objects that also move up the screen at the same speed as the background and then destroy themselves once they disappear off screen.

I'd throw together a quick template to upload, but I'm not at my computer for the next 3-4 days.

• ucornucorn Member Posts: 12

Hi guys!!

Have the winners been announced yet?

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Congrats to all and thank you for organizing the Jam @dgackey.

It was a lot of fun. Hope to see more of these (not necessarily with prizes) on a regular basis, maybe every three months or so.

edited January 2015

@dgackey Just to point out that The prizes for SubZer0s entry should really go to the guys over at Deep Blue Apps, with it just being an unchanged submission of their template that they gave away for free, not long before the GameJam.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/74526/snowmen-attack-free-template-from-dba

I notice SubZer0 entered a number of unchanged templates into the competition... Which was completely against the rules... dishonest, and not in the spirit of things... and therefore shouldn't be rewarded.

So yup... Those prizes really should be given to Darren and the guys at DBA... Or forfeit.. And SubZer0 forever banned from entering future Jams and competitions.

Congratulations to all the other winners, who did so honestly...

edit... From looking through the posted 82 approved entries, it looks like SubZero wasn't the only winner who won by submitting templates... Not good :(

edited January 2015

It's even more disappointing... as I made a comment regarding the issue of the templates being submitted in one of my posts earlier on page 2 of the thread, whilst the Jam was still underway :(

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Cant make this stuff up folks, round of applause to the staff.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Chunkypixels we're looking into it and will DQ that entry if it was in violation.

Regarding your post on page 2, you weren't able to see what people had submitted to the Game Jam at that time, you were able to see what was published to Arcade at that time, and the two are not equivalent.

People publish to Arcade for lots of reasons that don't always have anything to do with our current promotions ;) For example, during the last game jam, some of you were looking at the Arcade and assuming all of the publishes were Game Jam-related and asking why it was okay for people to use the Sea Sprint template in the Jam. That was actually a school publishing their end of semester projects.

We don't even have a visual way of seeing what's in the Jam until we run a bunch of queries after the Jam is closed. During the Jam, my view of what's in it is data in a SQL table, and I have to run a bunch of queries to pull it out. If I responded to every claim that something might be an invalid entry during the Jam, I'd never get anything else done.

With all this said, we'll probably just need to add an additional procedure to our judging process and take a few days to check submissions for originality.

Thanks,

Dan

It's not just that one offending game... There's 2 prize winners who entered multiple unaltered templates. So it's not just one entry thats in violation of the rules. Two people tried to game the system by submitted as many pre-published templates as they could... Securing 3 of the prizes in the process.

We're not angry at GS or the judges... We're angry at the dishonest members of the community for pulling this kind of stuff. We just want to make sure they don't get away with it :)

@Chunkypixels‌

Yeah, this is unfortunately one of the caveats of doing a "true" game jam that requires original games. We love to do these, and love that you guys love them, but when stuff like this happens, the time investment necessary to enforce the rules starts to really become problematic.

We'll have to think carefully about how we set up the next one.

@jonmulcahy made a good suggestion to help remedy this for future Jams which I hope will still happen, and not be put off by these incidents...

He suggested that eligible entries should go on display to the community for a period before judging, then that way the community can help in weeding out potential rule breaking entries and abuses, before judging commences. Would definately make your lives easier...!

Updated winners list.