Stable Release - Macintosh GameSalad Creator 0.12.20

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Figuromo said:
    I would feel so much better if someone from GS would reply to this post and confirm that this is a bug and not the new memory base usage, and that we will get a hot fix in the near future.

Well the bug report is now in the top 8 on the list with 9 votes, most above it have already been confirmed/addressed, so i'm hopeful we'll hear something soon.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited February 2015

I wrote to a few of the head honchos, and @dgackey responded, saying...

"It's definitely on the shortlist. We have a few repro projects that are super-optimized (in a manner of speaking) to produce the leak, so we're hopeful we can get a fix in the next few weeks.

That said, it's not clear if there is only one leak, or even if addressing this leak will resolve all of your issues, but it is on the list.

Thanks, Dan"

So I'm glad they're aware of it, looking into it, etc.

The more people who VOTE for that bug, the better, as I guess that shows that other people are super keen to see it resolved, and that it is affecting them in a serious way.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=729

I think the bottom line is... there are acknowledged known memory leak issues, and the first step is to fix those, and then we can see where we're all REALLY at with our projects.

Fixing known memory leaks is good for everyone. No one's projects will benefit from memory leaks being in there. :)

Hopefully they put some serious effort into addressing those issues, and then thoroughly test their fixes with a variety of different projects, until they are satisfied that they have dramatically improved the situation.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Hymloe said:

The ** at the end of your link is causing it to be a broken.

Voted.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

If anyone is mates with John Carmack, perhaps they could give him a buzz, and send him over to the GS studios to take a look under the hood. ;P He must be just around the corner, yeah?

• FiguromoFiguromo Member, PRO Posts: 42

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Well the bug report is now in the top 8 on the list with 9 votes, most above it have already been confirmed/addressed, so i'm hopeful we'll hear something soon.

I think there are two separate memory issues with this latest build. Memory leaking has been around for as long as I've been using GS. It needs to be fixed and I'll set all my bug votes to these issues without hesitation.

Now by no means downplaying the havok and pain that memory leaks are inflicting, what @JSproject, @supafly129, and I have brought up is that our games, which worked fine before the update, now crash at startup, before the engine has time to leak anything, and this on memory-strapped devices.
    So my assumption is that this new update is now using much more memory then on the previous build...at startup. Not leaking...just overall. This is the info I want confirmed as a bug and not the new normal.

If it's the new normal, I'm stunned. We have 9 apps in the store which we were intending to update this weekend...and now with this update and lack of option to reverting back (64 bit requirement) we're looking a the devastating drop of ipad2 and mini support! Most of our apps are for kids and they typically get the hand-me-downs, so that's millions of potential users gone.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

As GS evolves and features get added, the base memory useage will necessarily increase. This is due to features that the community requests/demands to be in GS.

Just Facebook integration alone will increase memory usage by another 1mb. This cannot be seen as a bug.

• FiguromoFiguromo Member, PRO Posts: 42

@JSproject @supafly129
    Logged a bug and just get a message from help desk

The issue you have reported has been noted and logged as issue 732. You can track the status of this issue and add comments here:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=732

Animation load issue!?
    Voted it up, but now I'm really confused. I wouldn't know where to start to test fixes on my end. Anyone have some ideas?

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@Hopscotch said:
    As GS evolves and features get added, the base memory useage will necessarily increase. This is due to features that the community requests/demands to be in GS.

Just Facebook integration alone will increase memory usage by another 1mb. This cannot be seen as a bug.

If we are talking about small increases like that for the engine then it would be acceptable. On the other hand if we see a +50MB increase in RAM requirement between 0.11.0.13 and 0.12.20 then no, that is not acceptable behavior. Such an increase might not affect those running their projects on newer devices but 512 MB RAM devices like iPad 2/mini/ipod touch 5 is a whole other story when we are talking big projects.

@Figuromo said:
    JSproject supafly129

The issue you have reported has been noted and logged as issue 732. You can track the status of this issue and add comments here:

Animation load issue!?
    Voted it up, but now I'm really confused. I wouldn't know where to start to test fixes on my end. Anyone have some ideas?

Cool that Bug 732 was confirmed by GardenSalad.
    @Figuromo if you have an animation that is loaded at the first scene then (as a test) try adding it in a 1 sec timer (or try deactivating the animation completely) and see if your app loads then on ipad2/mini/ipod touch5

@Figuromo said:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/page.cgi?id=voting/user.html&bug_id=729#vote_729

We're at 7 votes for memory cleanup. Come on guys we can do better then that.

voted, 16 votes now

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited February 2015

JSproject supafly129

Animation load issue!?

Not sure what this means either..maybe try creating an empty scene as the first startup scene, then set a timer to change the scene to the "main scene" after 1 second? Still waiting for an answer on my bug report too but will try what I mentioned as well.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=724

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Lol. I doubt by the amount of comment on this thread it should even be required to vote on.

edited February 2015

@JSproject so I created an empty scene as the startup screen, have it change to my home screen after 1 second, and now my ad hoc actually starts and can be played.

What i don't understand though is why the loading wheel is still missing when changing scenes, and the app continues to hang on a black screen for about 2 seconds when first opening the app. The only difference is that my game doesnt not freeze like it was before, although this workaround still is unpleasant since all it does is add a few seconds to the initial loading time.

@supafly129 said:
    JSproject so I created an empty scene as the startup screen, have it change to my home screen after 1 second, and now my ad hoc actually starts and can be played.

What i don't understand though is why the loading wheel is still missing when changing scenes, and the app continues to hang on a black screen for about 2 seconds when first opening the app. The only difference is that it doesnt not freeze like it was before.

I noticed that one too last night. Loading wheel doesn't exist at all, seems to be a new bug.

• 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

Loading wheel is also missing from my adhoc and my background png is much darker in my newest adhoc build. Does anyone know why this could be happening?

• hzappshzapps Member, PRO Posts: 173

HELP !!!! things are so wacky. How Do i (on a mac) change my RC project to an GSPROJ.

I downloaded the stable and it wont recognize my RC project. I have searched and searched but still cant figure how to rename the project on Mac if windows it would be easy.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@theazlowes, right click on the project file, then choose "Get Info" from the drop menu. Then change the file extension to "*.gameproj"

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@theazlowes said:
    HELP !!!! things are so wacky. How Do i (on a mac) change my RC project to an GSPROJ.

I downloaded the stable and it wont recognize my RC project. I have searched and searched but still cant figure how to rename the project on Mac if windows it would be easy.

Change the extension to .gameproj and it should open up in the stable release.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• hzappshzapps Member, PRO Posts: 173

Thank you all so much. It did work
    Hang Loose

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792

@QASalad Hi, I have a Universal app that needs submitting with iAds on the bottom of the screen. Can I do this with 0.12.10? Or do I have to wait for a fix with 0.12.20. If so, when are you anticipating a fix to be released?

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

@HoneyTribeStudios said:
    QASalad Hi, I have a Universal app that needs submitting with iAds on the bottom of the screen. Can I do this with 0.12.10? Or do I have to wait for a fix with 0.12.20. If so, when are you anticipating a fix to be released?

As Apple requires 64-bit support from February 1st, you need to wait for a fix in this build I think.
    12.20 is the only (exept nightly) that has 64-bit support.

Someone correct me if Im wrong :)

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

does anyone have the problem when you try to delete an image from the images library ,, you select the image and you end up deleting the neighboring image ,.. and occasionally deleting one next to it ! is this a known bug

@mshuraih said:
    does anyone have the problem when you try to delete an image from the images library ,, you select the image and you end up deleting the neighboring image ,.. and occasionally deleting one next to it ! is this a known bug

Yes I have the same problem, I think it's a known bug. To avoid deleting an image on accident, I usually right click the game file and open the images folder, and remove it directly from there.

@mshuraih said:

Yep had that one for a long time, pre-dates this stable and the previous stable.

@mshuraih said:

Yes it is, it's a bug that has existed for many years. Use "save as" and save a copy of your project before deleting any image and when you do delete an image then delete just one or a few at a time and take note of the image that you have before and after the one(s) you want to delete so it's easier to notice if a wrong one has been deleted.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Dues said:
    Someone correct me if Im wrong :)

You are correct for new releases, however updates to existing apps can be published with the old build until June

• lkmadlkmad Member Posts: 117
    edited February 2015

@Figuromo the 64 bit requirement is for new apps. If you are just updating you will be fine without it. Updates need the 64bit requirement from June 1. https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=12172014b

I've been testing my Universal App built with 0.12.10 on an iPad 2 and making builds for days now without any issues.

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@supafly129 said:
    Yes I have the same problem, I think it's a known bug. To avoid deleting an image on accident, I usually right click the game file and open the images folder, and remove it directly from there.

I wouldn't recommand that since if you delete it outside of GS then you will have a reference in at least one of the xml-files, created by GS, to an image file that no longer exist.

@MarcMySalad said:
    I wouldn't recommand that since if you delete it outside of GS then you will have a reference in at least one of the xml-files, created by GS, to an image file that no longer exist.

@MarcMySalad what's the main drawback from this if the image is not used within the project?