Stable Release - Macintosh GameSalad Creator 0.12.20

Comments

• djdeedjdee Member Posts: 180

@Moogus said:
    Has this issue of the iADS appearing at the top of scene, although set to appear at the bottom been fixed yet ??

M

am waiting for the same bug to b fixed. Just waiting for the update.

• kganczakkganczak Member, PRO Posts: 18

Did something else change in this version for Mac? It works fine on the last version that I have on my macbook pro, but on my mac with the new version the sound is not playing properly.
    Basically the sound should go off when the mouse is clicked to create the explosion. In this new version, the sound does not initiate until after the object lands?? Anyone help with this?

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

@hopscotch. Can you explain how you setup instruments to run your test app. We will all benefit from testing our own projects. Thanks.

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@djdee said:
    am waiting for the same bug to b fixed. Just waiting for the update.

The banner ad position bug has been fixed in 0.13.

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792

@stevej said:

Ok cool, do you know when this will be released in a stable build?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

We are working towards some time this week or next.

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792

@BlackCloakGS said:
    We are working towards some time this week or next.

Cool, good to hear it's sooner rather than later.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I am starting to get excited about this table memory problem finally being fixed! Surely it will be coming soon. Seems like we are getting somewhere!

• clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    edited February 2015

Great work @Hopscotch !!

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@Hymloe said:
    I am starting to get excited about this table memory problem finally being fixed! Surely it will be coming soon. Seems like we are getting somewhere!

Same! Hope this is a sign of some great updates coming our way :)

@BlackCloakGS Could you or someone from Game Salad confirm that you've seen the video that @Hopscotch made?

It'd be nice to know that his video, and the Game Salad project he has made, are on your radar, and will be used in assisting the efforts to find and fix those table related memory issues.

@hopscotch thanks for doing the project and instruments guide. From your test project, we will be able to create our own variations. The good thing is that once we test a new GS build which fixes the memory issues then any leaks in our own apps could be down to how our code has been structured

I wonder if these leaks are with all versions of gamesalad currently available. I am about to create a game after a 3 year break and would like to pick a stable version of gamesalad and not upgrade to any new release until my project is finished and game release.

If gamesalad had the compiler built in then we could stick with any version supported by Apple. then only thing the creator needs to do at start-up is to validate the user account for pro features and check user IP address to make sure it's not being used in several countries at once. It would do away with all publishing servers and same them some money.

• chrisjames0555chrisjames0555 Member Posts: 7

Its nice discussion i like it......

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Binary Computing said:

I wonder if these leaks are with all versions of gamesalad currently available. I am about to create a game after a 3 year break and would like to pick a stable version of gamesalad and not upgrade to any new release until my project is finished and game release.

Ha, ha, ha! :D

Pick a Stable release! :s

I think you had better read all pages of this thread, and the Graphene thread, and the State of GS thread, as well as the roadmap thread which is coming soon to a thread near you.

Sorry to give you so much grief, but join in again... >:)

I have to admit my fav creator release which was for me the most stable was 0.7 in about 2010.

@Binary Computing said:
    I have to admit my fav creator release which was for me the most stable was 0.7 in about 2010.

I seem to remember something like 0.94 being an old favorite of mine... a late 2011 bottling, if memory serves.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited February 2015

@BlackCloakGS , @QASalad , @stevej

Something else that may help pinpointing memory issues.

(This is in 0.12.20)

When pressing the home button and the app goes to the background, a lot of memory gets freed up.

Strange thing is that it does not seem to need any of the stuff that got unloaded when you return to the game.

(edit: This is probably the Loading screen image that gets unloaded? May be nice to unload this for us after the app has started to free up extra memory.

On a retina device this is about 10Mb after all.)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited February 2015

So can ANYONE say if ANY of these will allowing working on a project that doesnt lag after 10 minutes and have to force quit ?

Stable

RC

Nightly

Jesus how many freakin versions do we need?

Please is this ever going to get fixed ? Im really kind of irritated about it especially after finding out all the latest work has actually been on a game controller feature. We...I...am asking to focus on this please. Im not trying to publish. I just want a version I can build with and ad hoc test that doesnt crash the app on start up. We need an update.

This "beta" you guys have broken should be free. Anyone can go ahead an attack my comment if they want but this is BS...Im not happy paying for this AT ALL.

@Thunder_Child said:
    So can ANYONE say if ANY of these will allowing working on a project that doesnt lag after 10 minutes and have to force quit ?

Stable

RC

Nightly

Jesus how many freakin versions do we need?

Please is this ever going to get fixed ? Im really kind of irritated about it especially after finding out all the latest work has actually been on a game controller feature. We...I...am asking to focus on this please. Im not trying to publish. I just want a version I can build with and ad hoc test that doesnt crash the app on start up. We need an update.

This "beta" you guys have broken should be free. Anyone can go ahead an attack my comment if they want but this is BS...Im not happy paying for this AT ALL.

I am personally sticking with 0.11.13 for now, the most reliable and performant version that I consider vaguely recent.

However, I have no idea whether you can publish with it, or whether the publishing servers have all been updated to one of the "bad" recent versions.

0.11.13 still has the memory problems with tables (which I think has been in there since about version 10.4.1), but I really don't know for sure.

Hope they get a new stable version with memory fixes in for good, ASAP

• djdeedjdee Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2015

@stevej said:

Thank you :)

@Thunder_Child said:
    11.13 you speak of Hymloe is not on this list.

It's a collector's item now. Vintage, mate.

Just goes to show how few and far between it is that we can find a stable build to stick with.

Every Stable Release build should be totally use-able. Alas, that is not the case.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Yep...in the forums...if someone uses a service (paid) and things go sour...their name can become smeered via the forums...and it usually forces that person to make things right...here we have the very creators of GS that conitinue to build bew features and seem to be refusing to fix issues in even close to timly fashion. $299 for this creator is a joke. Any new member considering to go "pro" should wait...and then wait some more. I anxiously wait for a new "Stable" release...but very untrusting even it will not even be tested by anyone other than us...the beta testers...ya know...the ones paying to test. What the heck were we thinking ?

What the heck are they thinking ? I feel like Im about to get myself in some trouble slamming GS soon...in a big way. Its their hole they are digging b

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Thunder_Child said:

I feel like Im about to get myself in some trouble slamming GS soon...in a big way. Its their hole they are digging b

Yeah, no.

Criticizing our development decisions is a fairly time-honored tradition here. The only thing that really gets people "in trouble" on the forums is personally abusive/aggressive behavior, spamming, and repeated/deliberate misuse of commercial posting.

We do not squash or squelch criticism.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

edited February 2015

@dgackey , this is how I read your comment as a user: "As long as there are developers criticizing us, we have a passionate and dedicated following. All is ok and we can carry on our merry and silent way."

Yes, we love, and some of us depend on GS. As much as we are behind your long term goals for GS, we would appreciate clarity on the here and now.

There is currently no version usable for publishing. We need v0.12.20 onwards because of 64bit requirements, however

0.12.20RC - has the display ad problem + memory (yet the only version currently usable for publishing IF you don't need ads)

0.12.20 Stable - No loading wheel, will get rejected + memory

0.13 / 0.14 - Performance, loading issues and memory is as leaky as an upside down bucket.

(these are just the most serious issues listed)

I my opinion we need a clean and really stable version 0.12.20 so we can carry on. Waiting for 0.13/0.14 to become stable will take weeks.

@hopscotch totally agree 100%. I want to only focus on ios and Amazon fire tv. I would love to have a version of GS where I could get a build with no iads, networking, or other features I do not need. All I care about for pro license is custom splash screen, joypad support and no memory leaks. I would even ignore tables if it gave me a more solid game Engine. Keep it lean , keep me Keane.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078
    edited February 2015

No loading wheel sounds like a plus imo. I alway make my own little loading art anyways, so this would just make it easier since there is no need to try and hide that awful generic loading wheel.

Going to check it out since i had not noticed it missing with 12.20stable

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited February 2015

I agree @Lovejoy, but do you want to go through all your projects now and add loading animations for every scene change after the fact?

After so many years it can't just suddenly be left out. Put it back for now until we get options like size, position,hide, etc.