Just handed my notice in to pursue my own animation and game design business... Eeeek!

Comments

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@StormyStudio really quite brave of you and best of luck!

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822

Good luck, man!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@StormyStudio

Best of luck!

Will you be hiring, by any chance? ;)

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2015

I know that feels man.
    Jumping without seeing ahead where you will land.

But if your deep down voice says its right its the path to go.
    Don't listen to the persons which unconsciously plan the seed of worries in your head.
    And they will be all around you specially at the darkest chapters.

The only way to become really good at something it to spend time with it.
    If you have a clear goal you should put all the energy in it.

There is no reason for a "plan b" it distracts from "plan a".

Prepare for highs and lows man :)
    You can do it.

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
    edited February 2015
  • LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Man, reading this post makes me sound like the bad guy :( Hopefully others can see genuine caring about another member/human being.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172

@Lovejoy said:
    Man, reading this post makes me sound like the bad guy :( Hopefully others can see genuine caring about another member/human being.

I think in a forum like this, it's important to state your option openly, respectfully and honestly. It's good discussion for other developers that are struggling with the same decision.

• clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194

Good luck @StormyStudio ! It's great that you posted this here, as I'm sure others have the same aspirations. Timing isn't quite there yet for me, but I'm rowing in that direction for sure! All the best!

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

I would quit with a video like this

P.S. Good luck :)

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Good luck man! It is a brave move! All the best. Just make sure you have a plan and a backup plan. I did the same and left my 10 year job. Now after 18 months I have to find another job ...

• kipdevkipdev Member Posts: 275

Best of luck my friend. I have been considering this for over a year now. Although I have not seen enough downloads, or money from my apps, to make the jump. (cookie moron test) is the only one that has ever done kinda good. Although I am looking into other business opportunities outside of the app world. Anyway man Congratulations for making this change I hope and pray it works out for you. Make sure to let me know when you get new apps out, I will download, rate and share them on my site for you to help you out. Best of luck.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@StormyStudio Good luck! I hope you can finally make a living out of what you love to do. I do the same with some help of my family to try to break trough. Best of all!

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited February 2015

Cheers all for the most awesome comments...

Little update:**
    Since handing my notice in on Friday.... It's been a busy few days...

• Posted new showreel to my site.
    • I then started tweaking text and pages for the site, before deciding it was time to tackle a whole new website... A cleaner new one that shouts professional well designed animation has begun. With live chat built in, so I can offer quote/question chat service when I'm at my desk.
    • I've also started pre-empting my new found work freedom and have pitched for around 10 animation projects via certain animation pitch websites, and been short listed for 3.
    • My current work have started trying really hard to persuade me to do at least do half a day a week as a creative pitch guy. Even though a big part of me wants to go for a complete clean break so I can concentrate on my own business. I should and will say yes for a good rate. It'll keep me in the door with them if it all goes wrong. Plus I'll feel a bit like the 'little' guy in the film Elf with my little book of amazing highly prized ideas.

• Lastly, I managed to get** a shout out on BBC Radio 2. ** (The no.1 radio station in the UK with over 15 million listeners a week). I'd text in saying how I'd handed my notice in and was starting an animation company with my wife. Very very cool... though they didn't read out my website address. Nearly amazing advertising :-)

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

You´re my hero! I wish you all the best!

@sebmat86 said:
    You´re my hero! I wish you all the best!

Actually laughed out loud... :-)

edited February 2015

Oh and purely for fun... here's last nights clip from BBC radio 2. :-)

• Chr0nosChr0nos Wondering Vagabond AustraliaMember Posts: 113

That sounds totally awesome! Well done and best of luck to you! :smiley:

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited February 2015

@StormyStudio I would hire you just for interface design in a heartbeat.

Waiting for you to give a talk at Casual Connect on game UI. Hmm?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

No risk, no reward. Good luck stormy.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

That's awesome news. Your gonna do great! Engage!

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

You Rock! Keep sharing it! Be generous. Others get to be moved and inspired by your actions. People and things come into alignment with it.

edited February 2015

Another little update... (I know it's not Game developer related right now but it hopefully will lead into it eventually).

• 4 days left of the normal day job.

• New site is coming along slowly behind closed doors. Should be a big improvement.

• Lost a few days as we went over to Euro Disney in France (it had been booked ages ago). Which was awesome and the 'magic' shined through the wind, rain and freezing temperatures. Our 5 year old daughter loved it, our 1 year old son got Chicken Pox. I was constantly paranoid at how much we were spending on food and drink, knowing my income is about to become a little unknown for a while.

• I've been accepted on a Government funded business start up day this Friday. Only 20 places were avaialble (+ there's a free lunch). The organisers called and asked if they could use my business as one of their case studies. Which ultimately means there will be a team of 5 or 6 of us all working on ideas and methods to build and succeed with my company.

• I cheekily emailed the local County Parliament MP and asked if they'd like a photo with me and my new Startup. They said yes, and thats booked in for next week. The election is coming up and it'll make him look like he's helping promote industry and I should hopefully get some advertising in the local city paper and potentially on his election flyers. I got a A3 poster printed of my company logo so I can hold it up for any photos.

• Also got some business cards printed. Which is incredibly cool. I feel like Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Didn't cost much money and look very nice indeedy. I'll be sure to hand some out at the business start up day.

• I've also been pitching regularly for lots of jobs (in the evening after kids are in bed) on a variety of industry websites. I've landed one small app promo video, and some potential bigger 3d work.

• Also applied for a small government grant that's up for grabs in my area, where you can get some funding to put towards paying for PR and business consultancy work.

• Still all very exciting...

• Oh and I've asked a friend who works for Apple, whether they can get discount for friends and family. I'll be needed a new iMac since my current one will be heading to my current employer... I'm sure I can justify needing the 5K retina iMac... :-)

Looking good!

• Oh and I've asked a friend who works for Apple, whether they can get discount for friends and family. I'll be needed a new iMac since my current one will be heading to my current employer... I'm sure I can justify needing the 5K retina iMac... :-)

They can get you a friend discount but its lower than what they would get for themselves. So to save money, just have him buy the iMac for "himself" ;) so he gets the bigger discount.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited March 2015

And we're officially up and running...

@StormyStudio said:
    And we're officially up and running...

Haha very nice, congrats.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Awesome! Congrats, and best of luck!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Congratulations and all the best :)

• 2create2create Member, PRO Posts: 90

Good luck man!

Yops – the innovative puzzle game for iOs – http://apple.co/1ESvIlC
    Other games - http://appstore.com/flashpromllc/

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Awesome! First order of business it purchase some new, sharper scissors! ;)