Just handed my notice in to pursue my own animation and game design business... Eeeek!

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited February 2015 in Working with GS (Mac)

I've just handed my notice in at the job I've had for the past 9 years.

I've worked as a professional motion graphics and character animator, director, storyboard artistetc etc. At a successful corporate video production house just outside of London.

I've finally decided to make the jump... risk the mortgage that puts the roof over me, my wife and the two wee kids

I'm going to fully commit to my own business and hope it all pans out ok in the end. (Edit: So as not to worry anyone, there is a sound business plan behind this, it's taken a good 4 years to decide to do it and the wife approves. It could be the best idea ever).

It's quite honestly the strangest feeling 25% amazing, 75% bloomin scary... that's right I said 'bloomin'.

Anyway.. I needed to tell someone and don't want to post it on facebook just yet.. I'll need to work out my notice and then that's it... all in with both feet.

For those that don't know me... I've been AWOL alot over the past 6 months

Here's some of my better posts:

• Back in January 2010, my wife was in labour.. I was new to GameSalad and posting on the forum.
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/2403/still-reading-gs-forum-even-though-my-wife-is-in-labour-is-that-wrong

• I researched and developed a fully working path finding bit of logic for GameSalad. To date probably my best bit of work.
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/68703/intelligent-a-i-path-finding-with-gamesalad-has-anyone-ever-created-an-a-style-path-finder-setup

• I got very far in making my own Async game, menu and server side code before running out of steam. One day it will be finished.
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/64039/creating-your-own-asynchronous-server

• In 2014 I applied for and was successful in being offered a £10k governement grant to develop a game using GameSalad. I ultimately turned it down due to not being willing to quit the day job at the time.
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/69495/anyone-ever-received-a-grant-to-make-a-game-i-just-got-to-the-interview-stage-for-one

Over the years I've released a few titles (Quake Builder, made the top 100 on iTunes, Audio Invaders was well received but didn't do much, Escape Artist looked nice but sucked as a game and I've got a 100 unfinished projects).

I hope to be around a bit more as I adjust to trying to work on and more importantly finish my own game titles along side running an cool animation promo video business... I'm also hoping to check out the Graphene SDK when it comes out...

Anyway... that's better... calmed down after the crazyness of shaking up life a bit.... now where is that bottle of wine.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Good luck Stormy !!!!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

That takes some guts. That's awesome though! I really hope it works out, Stormy! Best of luck!

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Im my opinion, you are not making a very wise decision. Giving up your main income and putting your family's well being(shelter/food,etc.) at risk to pursue something that may or may not pan out? Think about that for a second and let it sink in.

I can respect the fact that you want to pursue a dream and whatnot, but i cannot come to agree with the decision of a family man putting everything and everyone aside in "hopes" that it all works out ok. Hoping will not pay the bills, hoping won't put food on the table, hoping is simply not enough.

With that being said, i do wish that it goes your way and works out for you.

This is by no means an attack on you, i am just speaking from one family man to another.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Best of luck Stormy, you follow those dreams!

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I am sure it will all work out because you are a person of immense talent and ability. But still....

Wow! Wow! Wow!

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

@StormyStudio All the best to you, Jon - here's hoping it'll be onwards and upwards for you and your company. :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited February 2015

@Lovejoy
    Thanks and don't worry no 'attacking' felt. :-)

I compltely hear what you're saying and those are the very same reasons I had'nt done it over the past 4 years when the idea had cropped up numurous times before. It's not been a decision taken lightly or quickly.

Now seems like the right time. I'm genuinely pretty good at what I do. Deal with clients, know the full production process. Having recently finished work for Hewlett Packard and other well known brands I feel confident in what I can do. I've got a business plan together that works out well and the support of the family. I have every intention of working 'bloomin' (thats right I said it again) hard, cold calling if necessary to win the initial business. I know my previous work would charge me out at 3 times my rate, understandly as they had overheads and marketing costs. My costs will be less. Also I'd reached the point where my wage was never going to increase much at all in the coming years, the only way to even try (not necesarily) succeed in doing that would be to run my own business or change career altogether.

Anyway.. I really must find that bottle of wine :-)

Oh and thanks everyone for all the good luck messages... .and drink.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@StormyStudio said:
    Lovejoy
    Thanks and don't worry no 'attacking' felt. :-)

I compltely hear what you're saying and those are the very same reasons I had'nt done it over the past 4 years when the idea had cropped up numurous times before. It's not been a decision taken lightly or quickly.

Now seems like the right time. I'm genuinely pretty good at what I do. Deal with clients, know the full production process. Having recently finished work for Hewlett Packard and other well known brands I feel confident in what I can do. I've got a business plan together that works out well and the support of the family. I have every intention of working 'bloomin' (thats right I said it again) hard, cold calling if necessary to win the initial business. I know my previous work would charge me out at 3 times my rate, understandly as they had overheads and marketing costs. My costs will be less. Also I'd reached the point where my wage was never going to increase much at all in the coming years, the only way to even try (not necesarily) succeed in doing that would be to run my own business or change career altogether.

Anyway.. I really must find that bottle of wine :-)

This paragraph sounds a lot better than what you wrote in the initial post.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• jorkosjorkos Member, PRO Posts: 353

good luck @StormyStudio looking forward to your apps!

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Best of luck!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited February 2015

@StormyStudio, very exciting and scary times! It has always sounded like you have your head on straight and know what your doing so I'm sure it will work out for you. Best of luck and I hope we get updates! :)

• wanegroupwanegroup Member, PRO Posts: 84

Good Luck!!!

iOS Apps/Games: Factoids | SkyGunner | TriSideX

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Welcome to the club ;)
    Good luck!

• Very cool, wish you luck!

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

@StormyStudio Good luck! I am about to do the same thing later this year.

“You have to risk going too far to discover just how far you can really go.”
    T.S. Eliot

GO GET IT! YOU WILL BE FINE! :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited February 2015
  • MattButlerStudiosMattButlerStudios Member Posts: 486
    edited February 2015

Congrats! I recently did the same thing on a much smaller scale, but it's all about going after what you want and making it a reality. Again, huge props for having the guts to make it happen and I wish you all the best! :)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

It's about time @StormyStudio!

Good luck, with the creativity, dedication and skill that you have displayed in the past, just on the forums, you will do well.

Keep smiling and enjoy it!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@StormyStudio Congratulations.

What you achieve is what you believe.

You believe in yourself, so there is no problem. ;)

What's more you have this whole gang to support you, even if it is only in spirit.

• MeepedMeeped Member Posts: 31

I wish you best of luck in anything you do, especially this decision. The only way you get anywhere is to take risks. This is definitely a career path of the future, Good luck!

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited February 2015

@StormyStudio said:
    I've just handed my notice in at the job I've had for the past 9 years.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wow, that's risky! Although, that might be what it takes to follow your dreams.

I've finally decided to make the jump... risk the mortgage that puts the roof over me, my wife and the two wee kids

Did I mention... Noooooooooooooooooooo!

I've been around GameSalad land for about five years. It can lead to good side income. But if the mortgage is depending on it, the stress level rises! Making games is a labor of love. If you're worrying how to pay the bills, it can crush your creative side.

Although, the stress might be the motivation you need to succeed.

• I got very far in making my own Async game, menu and server side code before running out of steam. One day it will be finished.
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/64039/creating-your-own-asynchronous-server

Maybe that should be one of your first projects. Maybe do a Kickstarter project for a php async game engine, that's compatible with Stencyl, GameSalad, Hype, Corona, etc. If people back you, then you know you're not wasting your time.

I hope to be around a bit more

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It could be nice to see you around these forums more, but they can suck up your time. I don't recommend that. (Although, the forums can be a good way to make friends, promote your projects and improve your skills.)

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

Amazing things can come out of a commitment.

Cheers @Photics... I err think.

As much as I'd love to say I'd do game developing full time I wouldn't want to spin the wheel of luck on the app stores to gamble on my success as the primary income.

In reality the main income will all be animation for businesses... Something I know lots about and I know can pay. If I'm making enough per month I'd then hope to find time to work on projects that we know can pay if the stars are aligned just right.

And don't worry I'll only be back in here a little more.. . Much like yourself ;-)

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Before I read the other posts in this thread, let me tell you one thing stormy. You will be successful if you choose to be. I know there are probably doubters that'll say when they read this that we can't control the circumstances around us, but I beg to differ. The universe is prepared to give us what we want if we ask for it. May I recomend the books Positive Imaging by Norman Vincent Peal, and As A Man Thinketh by James Allen. Keep at it, and don't give up.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

I like it! Best of luck!

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

Bloomin' amazing! Jeez, now u got me saying it. Always nice to see someone take the leap and follow their dreams.

• MattButlerStudiosMattButlerStudios Member Posts: 486
    edited February 2015

@floatingwoo said:
    Amazing things can come out of a commitment.

Well said! :)