Stable Release 0.13.6 - FireTV Support

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited February 2015
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

@BlackCloakGS Thanks, I will definitely look into that.

@AlchimiaStudios Thanks for the workaround tip. I'll give it a try.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@JSproject said:

This hit me too, but only in the fade in / fade out category. Before I release a game I always go through the project and uncheck 'visible' on all those logic actors.

I just made the fade out actors be full screen for now, and it's working fine.

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    edited February 2015

Insect Intruders. Now on Fire TV and Kindle.

Notes on submission:

When converting old games to Fire TV compatible.

• Buttons should have a highlight to show when they are selectable, since there is no touch options.
    • Buttons like an on screen pause button, sound toggles, and d-pads arrows, during play should not be on screen for Fire TV, since you can't press them.
    • Since you can publish once as a Fire TV app and as a Kindle Fire app, you can check if the Player 1 Controller is connected to toggle button highlights and buttons on and off as needed so they are needed.
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

@BlackCloakGS I've made my bug reports. I'm not sure how these reports work but if its by popularity it looks like we'll have ps4 support before I can get a decent iPhone build. I'm sorry if i'm a little snarky but my game has been finished for two months now and I've yet to be able to publish a decent build. When I was play testing my game with 12.10 and earlier everything worked perfectly. Something in 12.20 screwed everything up. Its nice that you guys are giving away free months for amazon fire games but what about us pro members who haven't had access to basic functionality (like publishing to iOS) going on two months now!

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

This version is so much lag. Even i put a game attribute it takes time to create. Please fix this.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@BlackCloakGS said:
    ... Before behaviors would start before the engine had full transitions to the new scene. There was a bug where if you had a change scene behavior that then change scene a change scene back to the first scene the engine would break because it was in the first scene when it tried to change scenes to the first scene. I would recommend working around it for now i will see what i can do. Feel free to file a bug with us and please let me know if any one else is having these kind of problems.

This affects every one of my apps. Especially problematic when you have spawning of actors at the start of a scene.

Placing actors on the scene and having the first behaviours position, size, image change or hide them is a staple procedure in GS. We have come to rely on the fact that the actors will be positioned, sized and colored correctly by the time the scene is visible without the need of a fade layer.

Just as optimism picks up on having a good working release, a decision gets made to fix a minor/rare issue, yet impacting current projects, workflow, and forcing us to use workarounds on every scene?

Is there no other way of handling this? How about delaying the visual transition as well? How about delaying (reverting) a fix of this kind until a complete solution is found?

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

I got this failure for submitting my app for Amazon Fire TV:

Bug Description:App fails to lose audio focus when the device enters day dream
    Please Note:Ensure that the app stops playing audio once the device begins displaying a screen saver (day dream) or enters standby mode.

Is there a workaround for this?

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314

@Hopscotch I also want to know,Is there no other way of handling this? How about delaying the visual transition as well? How about delaying (reverting) a fix of this kind until a complete solution is found?

or I should go back to use 0.12.20?

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@kirafu said:
    Hopscotch I also want to know,Is there no other way of handling this? How about delaying the visual transition as well? How about delaying (reverting) a fix of this kind until a complete solution is found?

or I should go back to use 0.12.20?

Delaying the visual transition would be best if that is possible, if not then we need to handle it for now via alpha 0 and/or turn off visibility and/or fader object on the top layer. Reverting this fix is a bad option since this fix, though it looks like an "ugly hack", was done to handle a bigger problem in the form of a bug that lead to apps crashing. Almost anything at all is better than crashing apps.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    edited February 2015

There is everything loaded and set behind the "loading" black screen actor in my game "Tram Simulator 2D". Some actors have its own wait list number (attribute... 1,2,3,4...). When everything is OK (5), that black screen actor is constrained to 0. Good solution for any possible issues on startup/restarting/changing scenes and you can gradually update any actor step by step thanks to that "wait list" attribute...

edited February 2015

@MarcMySalad , @Bitvork ,

@BlackCloakGS said:
    ... There was a bug where if you had a change scene behavior that then change scene a change scene back to the first scene the engine would break because it was in the first scene when it tried to chance scenes to the first scene. ...

So, a scene that skipped back to the calling scene, BEFORE THE FIRST drawframe, would break the engine. Understandable, but this sounds like a logic problem on the side of the game developer. When does this occur in your code? Only when you accidentally forget to wrap a change scene behaviour in a rule.

or

maybe when an interstitial ad gets displayed and the user taps wildly to close it?

Either way, I would prefer the 0.02 second delay to be implemented in the "change scene behaviour" itself only, instead of delaying all behaviour execution at the start of a scene by that amount of time.

Pros:

• Probably easier to implement
    • Not noticeable to the user
    • Does not cause workflow complications for everyone by either (a) introducing a cover actor or (b) moving the covering actor out of the way every time to work on a scene, then remembering to cover the scene again.
    • Fixes the same issue.
  • kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314
    edited February 2015

This issue really makes me feel very disappointed,I work hard for a long time at "rollTurtle" project,I try to break the stereotype of gamesalad,I try to improve all the details,This 0.13.6 updated of my efforts came to naught,my next project should be consider use unity :(

I think this is a degenerate,Every time I see the version update,I am look forward to
    a faster loading time,better and stable FPS,better optimal memory usage,this is a basic condition for a good game.

Gamepad support is great,but should not forget the more important things.
    delaying all behaviour even increase the load time when complete scene change.
    I do a lot of effort just to speed up the loading time of 0.1 seconds.
    this makes me look like a fool :'(

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

After listening to everyones comments about this I am going to release an RC that has the removes the fix that delays the behaviors by a frame.

@BlackCloakGS - I was wondering if there's a work around my app failing due on the Fire TV.
    Please Note:Ensure that the app stops playing audio once the device begins displaying a screen saver (day dream) or enters standby mode.

Currently logged in as bug #11116

Thanks

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277
    edited February 2015

@phamtastic said:
    BlackCloakGS - I was wondering if there's a work around my app failing due on the Fire TV.

Currently logged in as bug #11116

Thanks

This may well be related to Android audio issue i've been banging on about for the past few weeks - and is also causing Amazon to reject standard Android apps right now.
    I hope there's a fix for both issues soon.

edited February 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    After listening to everyones comments about this I am going to release an RC that has the removes the fix that delays the behaviors by a frame.

<3

@DigiChain - I'm surprise they're not on top of Amazon Requirements since GameSalad and Amazon are working so closely together. I mean what's the point of supporting Amazon Fire TV if we can't get pass their other mandatory requirements.

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member, PRO Posts: 142

will there be a fix to the loading wheel "bug" that some folk are seeing where it doesn't appear to show up at all?

@phamtastic try using the hibernated event and see if that works to stop the music.

I am currently moving all the FireTV changes in to the nightly branch and i will then start looking at the FireTV issues.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    phamtastic try using the hibernated event and see if that works to stop the music.

I am currently moving all the FireTV changes in to the nightly branch and i will then start looking at the FireTV issues.

I tried using the hibernate event by pausing the music/sound when Screen Saver pops up but no luck. Bug is still there.

Ok we are working on a fix and should have a new RC build out today.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Ok we are working on a fix and should have a new RC build out today.

awesome!

• zeropdzeropd Creative and Digital Studio Khalkis, GreeceMember, PRO Posts: 9

Today i updated from 0.12.20 to this build on Mac and is extremely slow to the point of unusable when changing scenes/screen. Please fix this because i cannot revert to previous version and i cannot work!!!

"Make'n Omelette" one touch game available now on App Store for free!

We are Zero Point Developers

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

The Fire TV Remote - "The outer ring is the D-Pad. Middle button is A. The menu/select button (3 stacked lines) is START".

What about the other buttons on the Fire TV Remote? Do we have access to them ??
    Do any of them map to buttons on a GamePad?

• QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142

@BobD said:
    The Fire TV Remote - "The outer ring is the D-Pad. Middle button is A. The menu/select button (3 stacked lines) is START".

What about the other buttons on the Fire TV Remote? Do we have access to them ??

Not currently, no.

Feel free to put in a feature request if you want access to them.

@Jeffm2 I just put in the fix it will be in the next RC

@BobD said:

Well the official fireTV gamepad has the same buttons as on the remote, so if you mapped them for the remote, anyone using a firetv gamepad would have them also mapped, which could cause unintended consequences.

You don't HAVE to support the remote in your games, it just opens up a wide audience who can get your games.

Just released the 0.13.7 RC with all the fixes please please try it out tonight and let us know if you are still having any issues.