GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta - Retina Display & iAd Support

Comments

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Thanks for this huge update. Gs is getting better and better.

By the way you forgot to write something under the Feature list:
    - Multitasking support with a working pause system. (3GS+ only)
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    you are kidding me right?
    you are happy with the update?
    so soon?? its been a month nd a hlf since the last one and they present themselves with an update which is useless to express users??

I'm the one who must be going mad.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Dude multitasking alone was worth an update.... Multitasking is basically the greatest thing ever.. And we can have it in our games before 95% of the apps in the app store. Thanks Gendai!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    giacomopoppi said:
    you are kidding me right?
    you are happy with the update?
    so soon?? its been a month nd a hlf since the last one and they present themselves with an update which is useless to express users??

I'm the one who must be going mad.

Why so very negative?

Compared to the last 2 updates this is a big deal...

you get more bug fixes? (never a bad thing)

drag behaviors from one project to another, (which will save so much time when trying to add new features to a current game without messing its pre-existing code for testing.)

Retina display, which works in a very cool way, make it for retina and it automatically down scales it for previous resolutions. And gives your games more appeal on the app store.

And we now have another reason to debate over whether the pro membership is worth while. People have always said you need more excuses to go for Pro, they add one (probably the first of a few off the big hitters, in app purchases, online scoring) and people start moaning they're not thinking of the poor Express users.. They are, we just got some very cool stuff...

I reckon any half decent game, with iAds and the URL forwarding onto paid versions of your game and your own loading screen would allow you to make that $1900 back over a year. If you work on your games a lot of the time then you would be willing to spend the money.

i'm tempted and I'm fairly broke but it might be worth the gamble...
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    pedalagames said:
    What annoys me most is the fact that the Yodapollo, even after a discussion with over 100 responses, ignores most of us and speaks absolutely nothing about the decision to provide iAds only for Pro users.

I'm still feeling like an idiot.

There total lack of real and genuine communication is shocking. For an application in beta this kind of treatment to paying customers is unprecedented and shows a level of arrogance that is quite surreal.
    well, i must say that this update is better than the past ones, but i am still dissapointd with gs.
    i have started to learn computer programming. ive started pure c, ill move onto objective c then other languages. i want to try to try to use xcode for programming apps. GS isnt just keeping up pace.
    @giacomopoppi well done mate...learning C is the way to start.. A friend of mine has done an amazing (not released yet) version of an arcade classic. It goes like the clappers and is almost all just straight C... in fact he optimised it so much that when he discovered it ran on an iPad without change he had to slow it down!!
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    chosenonestudios said:
    Dude multitasking alone was worth an update.... Multitasking is basically the greatest thing ever.. And we can have it in our games before 95% of the apps in the app store. Thanks Gendai!

So do our games automatically support iOS4? With multitasking? Or is there something I need to do that I'm missing? Due to launch in a day or two ;)
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    POLYGAMe said:
    So do our games automatically support iOS4? With multitasking? Or is there something I need to do that I'm missing? Due to launch in a day or two ;)

I just did a double check with publishing for Express and Pro for v0.8.8. The game(s) installed just fine on my OS4 3rd Gen iPod Touch. I pressed the home button in each case of playing them, and when I returned to those apps, it was right back where I left off. So yes, multitasking is automatically supported.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    CodeMonkey said:
    I just did a double check with publishing for Express and Pro for v0.8.8. The game(s) installed just fine on my OS4 3rd Gen iPod Touch. I pressed the home button in each case of playing them, and when I returned to those apps, it was right back where I left off. So yes, multitasking is automatically supported.

Hah, did you guys know that it was going to do that?

Anyway Codemonkey, I'd appreciate if you could look at this, pretty please :D

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=8339&replies=13#post-57349
    @Rob2 well, i have just started C.. all i can really do with c so far is general maths, displaying text in a console, variable, parameters, pointers.... and other stuff... its not as hard as i thought it would be...

Does anyone know what is the best degree to become a computer programmer? computer science seems to be the closest degree i could find but it doesnt teach c-objective c-coacha or any other mac language.that course just teaches java-xhtml-javascript-c#...

I think i want to become a computer programmer... i need a bit of advice.. :P
    @Codemonkey Will you please respond to the feelings of your users in some reasonable way and stop ignoring all the devs (some mere teenagers) who feel you have shafted them.
    CodeMonkey said:

Fantastic! Cheers!
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    Wow, Gendai! Amazing! Keep it up!
    @Rob2 im sure they are just ignoring us on purpose. If they arent even bothered to reply, i dont think i will be bothered to pay next years express.

It is possible to share accounts right? anyone want to join a small group and share the cost of a pro membership?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I'm sure they are all working on an official response to everyone's complaints. Give it time, they've only just got in the office.
    I wouldn't bother if I were them. They made a decision and they're sticking to it... what good would come of them answering? What could they possibly say that would make everyone feel better? "Oh, yeah, you're right... here, have iAds... and while we're at it, we'll through in a new car".

Does Apple respond when they do stuff like remove firewire from the MacBook? Why would they?

Simple fact is, not everyone can be pleased.
    not everyone cn be pleased... well thats correct... obviously...
    80% who have express 20% who have pro, maybe less... nd obviously they choose the 20 % because they pay more...
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    Amazing update Good Job Gamesalad!

Love the multitasking deal :)

Cheers, Weswog
  • Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    chosenonestudios said:

And I should care about that, why? We also got to have our iPad games in the store before 95% of the iPhone developers, and look how that turned out.....
    Koda89 said:
    And I should care about that, why? We also got to have our iPad games in the store before 95% of the iPhone developers, and look how that turned out.....

Quite well for some people...
  • TackyAttackTackyAttack Member Posts: 141
    This morning I got up and checked my email, I saw that there was another update for gamesalad, thinking it was just some normal bug fixes. I started reading through it, then when I saw iAds I was thinking that I was still dreaming! But then I saw it was for pro members only. I knew it was to good to be true. : ( Gamesalad you really let us down this time. You could make more money off of the $99 membership because more people would buy it, but no you had to go with the pro membership which only 10% of the gamesalad users have. I would rather use the free one that has more features; Xcode.
    I
    TackyAttack said:
    This morning I got up and checked my email, I saw that there was another update for gamesalad, thinking it was just some normal bug fixes. I started reading through it, then when I saw iAds I was thinking that I was still dreaming! But then I saw it was for pro members only. I knew it was to good to be true. : ( Gamesalad you really let us down this time. You could make more money off of the $99 membership because more people would buy it, but no you had to go with the pro membership which only 10% of the gamesalad users have. I would rather use the free one that has more features; Xcode.

Not sure where you got the ten percent figure from, but if you are correct, one in ten people have the pro version. That means, they paid $2000 and the other nine combined, paid $900. Gee, I wonder why they get more features?

Like tshirtbooth said, you wouldn't buy a cheap tv and complain to the manufacturer that it doesn't have the bits the top of the range 150 incher does...

And by all means, go ahead, code in Objective C. I'm guessing you're not at that level or you wouldn't be here in the first place ;-)
  • beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    " CodeMonkey said:
    I just did a double check with publishing for Express and Pro for v0.8.8. The game(s) installed just fine on my OS4 3rd Gen iPod Touch. I pressed the home button in each case of playing them, and when I returned to those apps, it was right back where I left off. So yes, multitasking is automatically supported. "

Tell me something CM when you returned back to those games were they paused? Or have they continued from the point they have been closed?

Yodapollo I am a big fan of you here!! GS is a really Nice tool! but why don´t you guys charge each iADS with an speciffic value like let´s say: $29.99 to put 1 iads, $49.99 to put 2 iads or $99 to put more than 2 iads in each game we release. it would be more profitable for you guys too!! And it would help us to make money to buy the pro version of the tool. What would you say about it?
    @beatrage +1!
    tshirtbooth, pros should have gamecenter, pros should have openfaint ect, but not the top features that also noobs can use... and can benefit from...
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    giacomopoppi said:
    tshirtbooth, pros should have gamecenter, pros should have openfaint ect, but not the top features that also noobs can use... and can benefit from...

Many Expressers would be upset no matter what the new Pro features were. And can you imagine the outcry if they released GameCenter as Pro only right now? The backlash would even be worse than this over iAds.
    exactly, im saying that the ADVANCESD FEATURES should be for PROS. (like u, right?)
    @Eastbound i personally wouldnt mind not having game center nor for openfaint. many express users have said the same thing.
  • haim96haim96 Member Posts: 87
    POLYGAMe said:
    I

Not sure where you got the ten percent figure from, but if you are correct, one in ten people have the pro version. That means, they paid $2000 and the other nine combined, paid $900. Gee, I wonder why they get more features?

Like tshirtbooth said, you wouldn't buy a cheap tv and complain to the manufacturer that it doesn't have the bits the top of the range 150 incher does...

And by all means, go ahead, code in Objective C. I'm guessing you're not at that level or you wouldn't be here in the first place ;-)

i do complain when other gives the same or even more function for the same price.
    and you don't have to code obj-C ... CORONA is much simple!
    and there is more options out there...