GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta - Retina Display & iAd Support

124»

Comments

• Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    POLYGAMe said:
    I wouldn't bother if I were them. They made a decision and they're sticking to it... what good would come of them answering? What could they possibly say that would make everyone feel better? "Oh, yeah, you're right... here, have iAds... and while we're at it, we'll through in a new car".

Does Apple respond when they do stuff like remove firewire from the MacBook? Why would they?

Simple fact is, not everyone can be pleased.

So, kind of like how Apple is ignoring everyone complaining about the iPhone 4's crappy antenna? :P
  • italianmaxxitalianmaxx Member Posts: 40
    I think the dilemma express vs pro is a simple marketing problem. 99 bucks for express 2000 for pro. I guess that if pro price was 500-750 and the express purchase refundable maybe GS team would sell 50%express and 50%pro and not 90-10. let's calculate:
    90 express at 99=8910 $ + 10 pro at 2000= 20000 total 28910 bucks (hey not bad!)
    50 express at 99=4950 $ + 50 pro at 500=25000 total 29950 bucks (hey better than ever!)

also the pay per use approach could be a good idea (1 iads behavior 30$ or 1 url link 30$)

think about this GS. anyway thanks guys you did a good work. keep it up.
    and thanks to all the forum, a nest for smart minds and ideas! thanks!

p.s. please don't beat me 4 my english
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Your english is excellent!

By your calculations, there's not much in it between your two methods is there?

I really hope the pro version comes down in price, or that the two versions become one. But we're just guessing aren't we? :D

Ciao!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• TackyAttackTackyAttack Member Posts: 141
    I have a feeling that GameSalad will eventually add iAd support for Express.
  • iPhoneDevForMeiPhoneDevForMe Member Posts: 362
    giacomopoppi said:
    @Rob2 well, i have just started C.. all i can really do with c so far is general maths, displaying text in a console, variable, parameters, pointers.... and other stuff... its not as hard as i thought it would be...

Does anyone know what is the best degree to become a computer programmer? computer science seems to be the closest degree i could find but it doesnt teach c-objective c-coacha or any other mac language.that course just teaches java-xhtml-javascript-c#...

I think i want to become a computer programmer... i need a bit of advice.. :P

This is a little late, but I am currently majoring in Computer Science and Software Engineering. This is the field you will want to be a part of if programing software is the route you would like to take.

Currently, C++, C, and Java are the most commonly used programming languages. Objective C is C programming with object oriented theory. Apple has its own "version" of Objective C called Cocoa and Cocoa Touch. This is the EXACT same thing as Objective C, just its built around their OS.

So to give you a little perspective, ALL programming is going to fall under the exact same logic and theory. Once you learn one language, it is VERY easy to learn another, because they will all do the same things, just using a different syntax, or keywords. Some programming languages are faster than others, and some run more smoothly than others, and some are more "readable" than others.

So my advice is to pursue a programming degree and focus on one language to start with. I will go ahead and suggest C++. I taught myself C++ before I ever took classes and it is fairly easy to understand if you focus. As you become more familiar with general programming logic and theory while learning C++, start to tap into another language. If your interest is in Mac development, Objective C is the way to go! If these classed are not offered, you will still learn general programming logic no matter what language you are learning.

As time goes on, you can look at as many different languages as you would like. You will find them easier to understand as you become knowledgeable in a specific language or 2 (C++ and Objective C in your case).

As a final note, jump into it right now! YouTube has an endless amount of tutorial series that take you through all of the basics. With these videos, you potentially could already be a beginner programmer in a matter of days! Here is a GREAT series from start to finish.

That is Tutorial 1, just view those in order. It's a long path, but well worth it in the end!

-Kyle

**Edit** If you have already started to learn C, then you are on the right path. Keep it up, and expand! There is A LOT to learn!
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Koda89 said:
    So, kind of like how Apple is ignoring everyone complaining about the iPhone 4's crappy antenna? :P

Yup!
  • Omegas7Omegas7 Member Posts: 37
    Judging by the video, there are only two pro behaviors? Open URL and iAds?
    Anyway, I've been using cocos2d all this time so can't really tell =/
    Omegas7 said:
    Judging by the video, there are only two pro behaviors? Open URL and iAds?
    Anyway, I've been using cocos2d all this time so can't really tell =/

And full product/tech support.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    @iPhoneDevForMe: Thanks for the video, may be starting that this week; then moving on to O-C to do apps in Xcode. (GS pissed me off, as I really wanted to use iAds. Guess time will tell.)
    Look forward to seeing your native games in three years time, after you've become a pro at Objective C, Open GL and now Open CL. Good luck!

:P
    Seriously, assembly language is easier... I dabbled a bit in that (albeit on a C64) and I found it much easier than Objective C within XCode. LOL.
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    @iPhoneDevForMe Thanks a lot!! i have a couple of questions for you... could you email me?
    giacomopoppi@gmail.com
  • spaceneedlespaceneedle PRO Posts: 93
    $2000 doesn't scare me off for a piece of software, but what I do find alarming is really just a yearly subscription. I'd be more likely to purchase software and pay yearly support for updates (perhaps around $200/year, which is quite generous). Its almost more cost effective for me to just brush up on my C++, and actually use basic API's that gamesald still doesn't support.

If features were timely, and API support rich, i perhaps might consider a $2000/year model, but I haven't seen this yet. Thats why I still have the "Basic" version for $100/year, its nothing more than a toy right now.
  • haim96haim96 Member Posts: 87
    @spaceneedle, well said!
  • rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    @spaceneedle, i agree and thats why im proposing export to xcode should be the only pro feature, everything else should be part of express: gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=8398
    by the way, it amazing that google will give freely the same tool for android! (more or less)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    spaceneedle said:
    its nothing more than a toy right now.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Don't think so? Then you might want to see tshirtbooth's 28,000 reasons.

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=7657&page=4#post-51690

GameSalad is not just game development software, it's a radical way of programming. As an interpreter, it communicates to me... in English... not in robot.
    haim96 said:
    by the way, it amazing that google will give freely the same tool for android! (more or less)

Google has to do something to stop Apple from stealing their thunder in this market.

...and just in general... there are too many stickies on this forum. I didn't notice that there were new posts here on this forum. There are too many stickies, so I just get used to skipping that yellow block. It's like if you use bold to much. You start to tune things out.

Google has to do something to stop Apple from stealing their thunder in this market.

the only thunder apple got now is from the iphone 4 antenna... :D
  • DjangoZDjangoZ Member Posts: 40
    Count me among those who would go Pro if gamecenter or openfeint were included.

Though I really think a "pro" level fee of $500-$1000 would be more financially successful for GG. The $100-$2,000 leap seems out of line with the difference in features.
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    I've read the wiki entry about resolution independence. What I want to know is: if I use resolution independence, will my game still work on an iPhone 2G?
    The document only mentions iPhone 3G+...
    It's important for me, because I think my game could work on an iPhone 2G, too.
    Thanks!
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Yes it should work on an iPhone 2G. Resolution independence is there to allow you to use higher resolution images in your games and those images will have a scaled down version for non-iPhone 4 devices.
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    @Cap...

FYI...the iPhone 2G is no longer in production and virtually obsolete. You probably don't need to concern yourself with it as it is a very small part of the market share and probably won't play 90% of the apps on the market. The iPod 2G is more common but I believe has a performance spec similar to the iPhone 3G. The iPhone 2G was designed built prior to the app store explosion and Apple quickly issued the 3G to meet the app store demand.
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    Thanks guys!

@synthesis:
    I own an iPhone 2G and can't confirm what you're writing. 90% of the apps on the market DO WORK on the iPhone 2G. It doesn't matter if I play games like Shrek Kart, Rolando 2 or Zen Bound, or if I even choose GS games like Flutterby or Hamster Panic. They all work. Maybe not as good as on a newer device, but they do indeed work.