Release Candidate 0.13.9 Mac ARC with performance improvements

2»

Comments

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited April 2015

@scottharrrules43 said:
    A cool feature would be to figure out which attribute the the columns are. Maybe have an extra row that says boolean or index. Or even numbers like 1= index and 2= Boolean and so on.

@BlackCloakGS @stevej
    Thank you for this release! and I agree that this would definitely be helpful

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@scottharrrules43 @supafly129
    This is included. You can both import and export value type. Just tested it.

@BlackCloakGS @stevej
    There are good news and there are bad news. The good news is, Creator is beautifully fast, and the CSV in/out works like a charm! Thanks on that front!

Now for the bad news. The update somehow completely broke my logic. All worked beforehand and now it doesn't react. In some instances, this is very simple logic. I have a "button" which only displays text and changes scene on press. It doesn't show the text or react to the press at all. There is probably something triggering an error, I'll try to locate it and see if it is a bug, but why it affects this button I have no idea.

More importantly though: filesize is drastically up! The same project, exported with an older version, was 6.1MB, now it is 17.3MB without any changes in the project! What is going on? That's 283% of the original filesize!

Can anyone else test and confirm this?

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@pHghost said:
    scottharrrules43 supafly129

BlackCloakGS stevej
    There are good news and there are bad news. The good news is, Creator is beautifully fast, and the CSV in/out works like a charm! Thanks on that front!

Now for the bad news. The update somehow completely broke my logic. All worked beforehand and now it doesn't react. In some instances, this is very simple logic. I have a "button" which only displays text and changes scene on press. It doesn't show the text or react to the press at all. There is probably something triggering an error, I'll try to locate it and see if it is a bug, but why it affects this button I have no idea.

More importantly though: filesize is drastically up! The same project, exported with an older version, was 6.1MB, now it is 17.3MB without any changes in the project! What is going on? That's 283% of the original filesize!

Have not used this yet I did not know it was added

edited April 2015

@scottharrrules43 said:
    Have not used this yet I did not know it was added

Haha, better check before you complain. :wink:

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@pHghost said:

BlackCloakGS stevej

Is that filesize after installing the app, or of the project?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Is that filesize after installing the app, or of the project?

The .app file generated by GS.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@pHghost said:
    The .app file generated by GS.

I'll give publishing a try tonight and see if I notice anything.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited April 2015

@pHghost said:

BlackCloakGS stevej

@pHghost Just published my game and the size seems to be the same if not slightly lower. Maybe Resolution Independence had something to do with it for you? Not sure what the issue might be but hopefully someone else can test as well to confirm.

I'll test with other projects and see if it is the same. Thanks for cross-checking!

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@pHghost said:
    Thanks! stevej

You're welcome! That's a feature I've been wanting to get in for a while.

edited April 2015

@scottharrrules43 said:
    A cool feature would be to figure out which attribute the columns are. Maybe have an extra row that says boolean or index. Or even numbers like 1= index and 2= Boolean and so on.

That's already there. When importing, you can check a box that says the 1st row of the data are the column types. And when exporting, you can check a box that will export the column types in the 1st row. If you have both column types and column names in the data, the column types should be in the 1st row, and the names in the 2nd.

Valid column types are: "int", "integer", "bool", "boolean", "real", "angle", "string", and "text"*. Types are case-insensitive.

*a column type that doesn't match these will be treated as text

Incidentally, the new csv import/export features are also available in the latest Windows Creator RC release.

@stevej said:
    You're welcome! That's a feature I've been wanting to get in for a while.

So have I. So have I. ;)

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    viking and hymloe we will look more into engine memory issues in 0.14 and 0.15. This build is all about creator performance and memory issues.

I was under the impression from @Hopscotch many many weeks ago, that he was working with you guys on the memory table problems (using my project as an example to test with), and that the fixes you guys made completely fixed my problem, and instead of my project crashing after a few missions, it ran perfectly with low memory usage.

Now, since then (some time ago now), I've been waiting for whatever that build is, to come out!

But it just seems to go on and on.

What is happening with that specific issue? Please tell me straight.

Was @stevej working on it? Has it been forgotten? Why can't it be released?

Was there such a memory fix made? What happened to it?

My project has been on hold for a year because of that, and whatever the fix is will help me tremendously, as I'll be able to continue work on that project. And it'll obviously help others too.

Your last comment has made me go from thinking "it'll definitely be out some time in the future", to "the memory issues will be looked at later on" which makes me think the fix @Hopscotch mentioned was somehow a dream I had, or that you guys have some serious mis-communication going on inside Game Salad, and the main team is somehow not even aware of this fix that will save my game...!?

Is it lost on a back shelf somewhere.........???

I've been waiting for a fix for so long.

Please go and talk to @stevej about it. Is there a fix? Who was working with @Hopscotch on the table memory stuff? Surely that can go into a build sooner rather than later.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited April 2015

@Hymloe please don't overemphasize my involvement in this, I wish I had more insight or influence, but my 299 only goes so far :) . At most I hope I was constructive in escalating and highlighting certain issues.

There was definitely a large improvement, if not a fix, specific to the issues we were investigating, going from 0.13.2 to 0.13.3. This was around Feb 20th.

Soon after (on Feb 24th) @stevej mentioned more issues regarding fonts and images, which they found and fixed, but would only be available in 0.14.

As we all know 0.14 needs to wait until the critical ARC garbage collection issues are resolved.

It seems that the table issues which are currently being spoken of are newly found. I am with you in reminding GS to include into 0.14 whatever changes where done between 0.13.2 and 0.13.3 so these don't pop up again.

I have a very narrow interface of communication with Game Salad staff.

Which makes it extremely frustrating when my game works in one version of GS, and in the next update the game crashes after a few levels.

The bug is in the GS code somewhere, and suddenly my game I've worked on for a year or more cannot continue, and GS will not fix the issue.

I was successfully playing through 40+ levels of my game around 18th Feb 2014, using GS 0.10.4.

But at that time, after updating to 0.10.4.1, I had problems with crashing due to the table memory stuff (is my guess). Table memory keeps increasing, and doesn't get cleaned out again.

I report these bugs, and send in my project, and nothing happens.

I bring it up repeatedly for a year, and there is no clear acknowledgement of the problem, or proper investigation of a fix.

@Hopscotch you have been a great help, and it is your words to me, that Game Salad had fixed my memory table problems, that I have been hanging on to, expecting a fix to come out at some point.

Obviously you can't speak on their behalf.

But now, I just don't know what to believe. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I'll ever be able to work on that game again.

Can you all understand my frustration? Can you understand how this is no way to develop games??????!!

Can you understand how maddening this is???

I would give any one of my best programming friends 1 day in the GS studios with my project there on the debug bench, and I reckon any one of them could fix the GS memory problem so that my project works again, by the end of that day.

Why should a PRO user of many years be subjected to a game breaking bug for more than a year? WHY IS THAT FAIR?

Where is the system breaking down here? QA? Management? Programmers?

Where is the problem!???

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Hymloe, can I understand your frustration? More than you think. Just to put things in perspective, the current situation is not just a loss of income for me, it is actually costing me in the 4 digits every month.

Why don't I shout? Because I trust that GS is doing stuff about it, as far as possible, and within their constraints.

Why don't I move on? Because other platforms have their own issues. You may not have to sit around waiting for a resolution, but you would spend the same amount of time researching and re-coding around issues. Here at least we can fill the time getting out a few smaller projects in the meantime.

My suggestion is to put your really large project on the back-burner for a bit longer, until 0.14 is out (and stable). Put your energy into some quick games in the meantime. People are publishing reasonably sized projects all the time.

Now if GS takes the above to sit back and relax, then "I shall be very put out"!

Very reasonable approach @Hopscotch

I've been waiting a year, and angry at myself for not doing smaller projects, or shifting more fully to Unity or GameMaker.

I've held out with faith and hope for a long time now, and the longer I hold on, the more of an idiot I feel, to be honest. But with projects "stuck in the Game Salad machine", I'm somewhat held hostage here by my own passion for those projects.

I really just want to get them finished, tied up neatly, so I can I find some peace.

• stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166

The performance improvements are definitely there in this release. I am finally able to finish my game without having to sit for minutes waiting. Still there's minor bugs and issues as there always are with GS but this is like night and day compared with 13.7. Thanks.

My Latest GS Game - Tiny Spirit
    My First GS Game - Dashing Ralph

@Hymloe said:
    Please go and talk to stevej about it. Is there a fix? Who was working with Hopscotch on the table memory stuff? Surely that can go into a build sooner rather than later.

There are currently 2 bugs preventing another 0.14 nightly release with the table (and many other) bug fixes. So you should be getting them soon-ish.

• bizextremebizextreme Member, PRO Posts: 111

When using 13.9 and trying to publish gamesalad crashes and does not create the .zip files needed to publish to apple

New Muscle Racing Game out now on android
    [Muscle Race!]

@BlackCloakGS said:

Fixed the Copy Table behavior causing a crash in Preview

Crashing doesn't happen, but neither does copying: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/85828/copy-table-not-working-0-13-9-arc

@stevej said:
    There are currently 2 bugs preventing another 0.14 nightly release with the table (and many other) bug fixes. So you should be getting them soon-ish.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Hopefully when they do go in, they'll fix my long-standing problems, and I will be very much relieved.