Cannot select multiple actors in scene editor

Agent ArgyleAgent Argyle Member, PRO Posts: 188

Looking through the forums there are a couple of old and closed threads about this as far back as 2010:

There is also a bug report / feature request here: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=658

This is a standard feature of any graphical editor and not having it makes editing unnecessarily difficult. Frankly, I am surprised anyone can get any work done in GS without it.

Or am I missing something? Normally one would use shift, command or a marquee to select multiple objects at once. Is there a non-standard way to do this in GS that I am simply unaware of?

Thanks

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

It's not possible and I agree that it's frustrating that this doesn't exist in GameSalad.

I just voted for it.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

I too would love to see this feature implemented.

• Agent ArgyleAgent Argyle Member, PRO Posts: 188

It would also be nice to be able to select multiple actors in the layer editor as well. This would make editing so much less tedious!

• zenfinizenfini Member Posts: 7

I agree as well. I have a scene I am trying to layout and it got so tedious to move things I have started spawning them so I can change parameters to move lots of objects at once. Even if you couldn't edit them but just move them...HUGE help. having to spawn everything in the scene will be a lot of unnecessary overhead, but I just couldn't keep moving things manually, I would loose way too much time.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@zenfini said:
    I agree as well. I have a scene I am trying to layout and it got so tedious to move things I have started spawning them so I can change parameters to move lots of objects at once. Even if you couldn't edit them but just move them...HUGE help. having to spawn everything in the scene will be a lot of unnecessary overhead, but I just couldn't keep moving things manually, I would loose way too much time.

Agreed, GameSalad - basically - lacks a viable layout tool . . . Here's an option for you:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/59532/custom-scene-editor-wip-grid-snap-to-grid-zoom-multi-select/p12

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited August 2015

I guess the bug / feature request just needs more votes: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=658

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

A user only has a set amount of votes one can give. For me this feature is not a priority. Things like android files over 50mb et... Are more pressing and I have my votes on things like that. If you go over your vote count it pulls your vote from something else.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    A user only has a set amount of votes one can give. For me this feature is not a priority. Things like android files over 50mb et... Are more pressing and I have my votes on things like that. If you go over your vote count it pulls your vote from something else.

Well, i just checked mine and it looks like we now get 10 votes total. 5 for creator and 5 for engine. So i may be worth double checking.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited August 2015

Gets my vote... oh wait, Im the one who registered the initial bug/request, and its been one of my ongoing GS bugbears since I started using GS over 5 years ago... :)

But yup... its been requested, over, and over, and over since way back in 2010... promised many times... and then ignored or excuses made, like so many of the other interface improvement requests.

It ends up with 3rd parties building tools to sort out what GS should have had from the beginning... but those tools/developers either don't always keep the tools up to date/compatible with newer versions of GS, or the developers are driven away from supporting the tools by GameSalad themselves.

Would just be good to see the interface improvements added as a priority for once... or, failing that...if its really such a big daunting process, then maybe GS should lessen the strain internally and try actually working with some of the 3rd party tool developers, and buy/integrate their tools.

Some of the long requested interface improvements are beyond silly now.... 5+ years to implement/ignore multiple actor select, or a snap to grid... both of which are basic and standard features that are implemented in almost every layout tool thats been released since the beginning of the millennium, if not earlier....

Its a great engine... but its sorely let down by a tedious and clunky layout/actor interface...

Sounding like a broken record... I know... I seem to have this rant at least twice a year for the past half a decade.

Good to see other people taking up the cause :)

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Although voting for features makes us feel better, I'm not sure it makes any difference.......

edited August 2015

Whining removed ! :)

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

@Chunkypixels said:
    Gets my vote... oh wait, Im the one who registered the initial bug/request, and its been one of my ongoing GS bugbears since I started using GS over 5 years ago... :)

But yup... its been requested, over, and over, and over since way back in 2010... promised many times... and then ignored or excuses made, like so many of the other interface improvement requests.

It ends up with 3rd parties building tools to sort out what GS should have had from the beginning... but those tools/developers either don't always keep the tools up to date/compatible with newer versions of GS, or the developers are driven away from supporting the tools by GameSalad themselves.

Would just be good to see the interface improvements added as a priority for once... or, failing that...if its really such a big daunting process, then maybe GS should lessen the strain internally and try actually working with some of the 3rd party tool developers, and buy/integrate their tools.

Some of the long requested interface improvements are beyond silly now.... 5+ years to implement/ignore multiple actor select, or a snap to grid... both of which are basic and standard features that are implemented in almost every layout tool thats been released since the beginning of the millennium, if not earlier....

Its a great engine... but its sorely let down by a tedious and clunky layout/actor interface...

Sounding like a broken record... I know... I seem to have this rant at least twice a year for the past half a decade.

Good to see other people taking up the cause :)

Part 2:

All in good fun :D :p

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Socks said:

"Defeatest as it sounds"

I've only been around for a year and a half and I admit I am totally apathetic. Everyone here loves GS overall including me.

I think focussing on the bugs is great. Sometimes you have to throw the dogs a bone.....

And a glimmer of hope Ive seen a few bones tossed. ** The text display default change to black was something. **

Realistically I see GS working on features to attract new users. New paying customers.
    Features like text display default to black does not increase revenue or attract new users.

This is all been vented before.

I do appreciate that GS is doing the most with limited resources it has............

Ive never voted for any feature.

edited August 2015

Whining removed ! :)

Heck is @codewizard even around it's been eerily quiet the last couple weeks. That can't be good.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Lost_Oasis_Games I've been quiet. Oooh, I'm just busy as a beaver in a lumberyard. Snap to grid, aye! Fixing crashes first!

@CodeWizard said:
    Lost_Oasis_Games I've been quiet. Oooh, I'm just busy as a beaver in a lumberyard. Snap to grid, aye! Fixing crashes first!

He lives..

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Lovejoy To be fair, I have horrible eyesight, and @CodeWizard has a horrible vantage point from behind the tombstone.

@ForumNinja said:
    Lovejoy To be fair, I have horrible eyesight, and CodeWizard has a horrible vantage point from behind the tombstone.

Plus I doubt many of us would be alive in 81 years... Unless...

I've been quiet. Oooh, I'm just busy as a beaver in a lumberyard. Snap to grid, aye! Fixing crashes first!

I still get multiple crashes per day so thanks for that @CodeWizard

But while I agree we could use some sort of alignment tools, snap to grid or both, this particular thread was originally about being able to select multiple actors at once. It is already possible to select, copy and paste multiple behaviors, rules and groups in the code editor , so hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add multi-select to the scene editor as well.