GSHelper, now the official marketplace for GameSalad!

Comments

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912
    edited July 2015

Great! Can we sale artwork and animation through the site? :)

Also, will the GSHelper website be getting an update?

Lastly, I know that GS has been working on a new market place design. Is that work still being done?

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• cherrywtzcherrywtz Member, PRO Posts: 40

congrats gshelper :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

I for one welcome our new marketplace overlords.

• MantoManto Member Posts: 796

Where can I find support for vendors? The http://gshelper.com/supportgs/ site seems to be only for those who want to contact about templates or custom work.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

I feel confident GSHelper will be making sure quality assets ONLY go through the Marketplace. I see they have a review process. This is great news.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Manto said:
    Where can I find support for vendors? The http://gshelper.com/supportgs/ site seems to be only for those who want to contact about templates or custom work.

Hey Manto,

Feel free to open a ticket on http://gshelper.com/supportgs/ or PM me directly - we'll get you sorted!

• MantoManto Member Posts: 796

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Feel free to open a ticket on http://gshelper.com/supportgs/ or PM me directly - we'll get you sorted!

Thank you. I opened a ticket.

• KiwiLeeKiwiLee Member Posts: 181

I made purchases from both TShirtbooth (now GSHelper) as well as DBA. Both were very strong reputable providers but in my mind DBA did a whole lot more around the whole GS ecosystem. Surely there is room for two or a united marketplace.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited July 2015

This was a good idea by GS. Shift the managing of the Marketplace elsewhere to people motivated to do it well so they can concentrate on what needs to be done.

• bloodnitebloodnite Member Posts: 50

@lycettebros said:
    This was a good idea by GS. Shift the managing of the Marketplace elsewhere to people motivated to do it well. so they can concentrate on what needs to be done.

Agreed - smart business move.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

GSHelper is a quality site, so is DerpBlueApps/Market. Wonder why they didn't make them both "Official"?
    On a side note I expect template sales to slow down now that GS is all pay to use. New/Regular users were the ones buying templates, correct? (certainly not Pro users)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@BazookaTime said:
    GSHelper is a quality site, so is DerpBlueApps/Market. Wonder why they didn't make them both "Official"?

I'm sure there were a number of reasons, but a big one will presumably have been that GSHelper is a GameSalad site, while DBM promotes a number of different SDKs. It would make no sense to make it the official site for GameSalad.

@BazookaTime said:
    On a side note I expect template sales to slow down now that GS is all pay to use. New/Regular users were the ones buying templates, correct? (certainly not Pro users)

Negative ghost rider...I buy template to see how certain things are coded. Remember being pro doesn't make you pro...lol. It just means you paid for a full beta version.

I bought "pro" having never opened GameSalad....I knew I was going to use it so I was willing to pay even though I only publish to iOS anyways...I also bought it thinking the "pro" forums would provide "better" help than non pro forums. I now know having that perk is only going to limit your responses...or at least it used to because there are many non pro users that can answer questions just as well in the non pro sections just the same. I would never recommend so
    Some going pro to have access to those forums.

Anyways back to pro and templates...oh yea I buy them quite a bit. Less no days as I have learned a great deal...and am in a lot of cases now able to find my way through getting a large amount of what I want to do...on my own.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2015

@Thunder_Child We will see, you may be right. I sell templates on both sites and know a number of people that do as well. Should be able to gauge it in a few months I would think.

edited July 2015

Yea I hope you do well. I wanted to elaborate just a bit to answer your comment/question about pro's not using templates. I have I think now 14 games/apps. 3 were basically re-skins...1 is completely original coding myself...that leaves 10 games of mine that all derived...although heavily modified...from templates.

I have 3 games I am outlining to start building and ALL of it will have been completely coded by me...those I hope to possibly sell on the marketplace as I do believe...without specific permission to do so...that selling a template that was built from another template...is an absolute NO GO.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BazookaTime and @Thunder_Child

I've bought lots of templates to dissect, learn from and even re-engineer. I pay for Pro Membership, but I'm certainly not a Pro user.

• SHRINKSHRINK Member Posts: 3

Does anyone know what the typical time is for a product to be pending for approval on GShelper?

@SHRINK said:
    Does anyone know what the typical time is for a product to be pending for approval on GShelper?

In my experience, pretty quick. Often within an hour, and I've never had one take more than a day. I imagine they've been pretty busy recently, though!

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@SHRINK said:

@Braydon_SFX

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited July 2015

@Armelline said:
    In my experience, pretty quick. Often within an hour, and I've never had one take more than a day. I imagine they've been pretty busy recently, though!

Hmm, I've been waiting for two days now. And I cannot find any contact info on the site to ask them this question directly.

@SHRINK said:
    Hmm, I've been waiting for two days now. And I cannot find any contact info on the site to ask them this question directly.

Send a PM to @Braydon_SFX.

@SHRINK said:

Hey Shrink,

I see your product waiting for review - we haven't forgotten about them. We don't have a lot of audio content on our site which is why I'm just making sur

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I see your product waiting for review - we haven't forgotten about them. We don't have a lot of audio content on our site which is why I'm just making sur

Hey the connection was lost... ☺ Anyway, I'll be patient then.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Cant see art in preview when trying to sell my first art. im probably doing something wrong......hmm but what? anyone

@freneticz said:
    Cant see art in preview when trying to sell my first art. im probably doing something wrong......hmm but what? anyone

Hi @freneticz - send me a PM - I'll get you sorted out!

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Just a quick FYI to let everyone know that final GS Marketplace rev shares have just been paid out to everyone!

Cheers,

Dan

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I think a lot of advanced developers don't use templates because they like to generate their own ideas for a game and in that mindset you can't use a template. Most of the concepts @rp and I develop are not the type that are found in template form. Plus why pay for something i am capable of coding myself for free.

edited July 2015

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    I think a lot of advanced developers don't use templates because they like to generate their own ideas for a game and in that mindset you can't use a template. Most of the concepts rp and I develop are not the type that are found in template form. Plus why pay for something i am capable of coding myself for free.

Well I'm pretty sure those sites are not made for you. I'm getting closer to not needing them..others are too but ALOT of users are NOT advanced users like yourself. Some of us still need those templates and certainly appreciate these sites. If I can't do something...and its above my head...and its in a template to learn from...even if there is a snippet of code I all for that.

You certainly can't go asking in the forums for help to do some coding it's just to big of a question...I definitely don't like having to pay $40-$80 or more to have someone fix a small issue...or big one and not be told how it was done. A template let's you see it...refer to it...expand on it. I feel it's a pretty important thing to have available.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    I think a lot of advanced developers don't use templates because they like to generate their own ideas for a game and in that mindset you can't use a template. Most of the concepts rp and I develop are not the type that are found in template form. Plus why pay for something i am capable of coding myself for free.

While I've never purchased anyone else's template I would never say never if I found something I wanted and it looked nice and clean while saving me a day or 2 code for a few bucks I may just buy it :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited July 2015

To each his own I guess. Since i write intergrated code it wouldn't work for me.

Also @RP and I see, for us, game making as an art. It's our form or vehicle for creative expression. In that approach art must be created by the artists to be genuine. All the stuff we create has us in it. We inject our mindset personality into the game. Templates would never work for this approach. I'm not knocking templates, only saying it doesn't work for our brand of gamemaking.