Mystic Equine Vagabond

Comments

• frdfrd Member Posts: 191
    edited August 2015

Working today on a new region. So far it has an archer character, the ability to pick up objects

and a button operated warp function.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

Looks great @frd. A little too great. No, I kid. Great job. I like that you scan the art from actual pen and paper. Keep up your great work!

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

Im so in love with your design! <3

@jdlcrater said:
    Looks great frd. A little too great. No, I kid. Great job. I like that you scan the art from actual pen and paper. Keep up your great work!

Thanks very much...I think...

@sebmat86 said:
    Im so in love with your design! <3

Thanks, you've been very supportive of my stuff. Good luck with yours, it's looking great!

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

@frd said:
    Thanks, you've been very supportive of my stuff. Good luck with yours, it's looking great!

Of course, you have some super awesome stuff going on! Yeah, thanks man! I hope LIGHTS does OK! Will be out very soon! :)

I'm at Now Play This games festival at Somerset House in London this weekend working on a physical game, and meeting other games designers. The train journey down here was just long enough to make a start on the first boss for MEV -

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@frd

Great beast !!

@Socks said:
    frd

Great beast !!

Cheers Socks!

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@frd keep up the good work! (and feel free to msg me when the iOS version is ready)

@JSproject said:
    frd keep up the good work! (and feel free to msg me when the iOS version is ready)

Thanks very much! Will do.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Great stuff!

edited December 2015

Here's a ten minute taster of MEV

It's not running brilliantly on the arcade, but if you can put up with a few delays at the start of the game, then it seems to get better as it goes on.

It's a little buggy too.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just finished it. Really like the feel and flow of the game!

To uphold my status as properly pestering beta tester, here are my notes:

1) I would add more types of enemies. Having just one type creates a certain sense of monotony as you get deeper in. You have the semi-boss type Gardener, but that's just a one-off thing. So yeah, more variety in 'regular' enemies.

2) Staying on the topic of enemies: unless they are specifically a type of fire elemental or something like that, I would damage enemies by the fire jets. This could add more potential and strategy to the game, where your positioning could be used to lure enemies into traps.

3) Some slight variety in the mini-game to light up the three red lights would be nice. The spinning of the log could give way to some other simple mechanism. If you have two or three, it will be enough to avoid a sense of repetition -- once again, especially one you get deeper into the game.

4) I am missing attack animations for down and up. I know that enemies above and below you actually get hit, but visually it looks a bit strange. You won't notice when surrounded by enemies, but when faced with one or two enemies above or below it looks a bit strange.

5) I feel some of the particles and elements don’t go that well with the overall style: the green sparkle when you swing the sword (just adding a bit of texture to it would help), hitting an enemy red sparkle (same solution as previous), the white shapes above signs (those could ‘glow’ like level exits to make them fit more)

6) I would recommend removing the sword swing when pressing space bar for dialog or while turning symbol signs.

7) For dialog, I would add some sort of dialog box. At some point, the text suspended on nothing looks strange in the way it covers things.

Really promising project!

Thanks @pHghost ! That's incredibly useful feedback. I agree with it all, but it would have taken me a long time to work that all out. Thanks for taking the time to look over it and get back to me!

@frd said:
    Thanks @pHghost ! That's incredibly useful feedback. I agree with it all, but it would have taken me a long time to work that all out. Thanks for taking the time to look over it and get back to me!

No problem, glad to help!

Bump for anyone that's around today.

Here is about ten minutes of MEV.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

@frd Very strange and imaginative! Love it. Best of luck with the game. :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

Looking sweet!

@gyroscope said:
    @frd Very strange and imaginative! Love it. Best of luck with the game. :smile:

Thanks @gyroscope !

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited December 2015

A lot of this is going to repeat what @pHghost said but anyway...

I agree that the text doesn't look very good and is hard to read when directly overlaying the gameplay images. The game pauses a bit when I've connected with a character before the dialog starts. That may just be the arcade but it's confusing because everything stops for a few seconds before anything else happens. I have to remind myself that there must be dialog coming up. Maybe some visual indication that I've reached a dialog moment?

And yes, after turning the rod a couple times (cool!) I got tired of having to do so repeatedly (ugh!). Variety is the spice of life! Either that or give me an item that lets me automatically turn the rod quickly after the third one I do.

I like the look and feel of the game. The paths that show up after the rod is turned look good and seem special (ooh, I found another one!). I think the door image could be a little fancier. It is the end of the level, right?

Is there no sound yet?

You probably have plans for much of this but... There wasn't any tutorial or instruction regarding controls (except on the arcade page, but even that didn't list how to attach). I wasn't sure what the "LOVE" points are for. And why "3LOVE" instead of "3 LOVE" or even "3 love"? How do I tell how much health I have?

All in all, a unique and interesting game so far. :)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    Is there no sound yet?

Wanted to point that out as well, but forgot. I assumed sound design will be done later on. Or perhaps it's an Arcade issue?

@tatiang said:
    How do I tell how much health I have?

Get hit by an enemy. The health bar will pop up for a short time.

This might also be an area for enhancing things. I like that the health bar isn't in your face all the time, but maybe make it clearer at some point how it works, if you will be able to find items to heal you and what happens if you die (just level restart?).

Thanks @tatiang for more really useful feedback.

I am working on the suggestions @pHghost made, which includes sorting the conversation text. I haven't managed to work out why there is such a long pause before conversations yet, but I will keep looking, and your suggestion of a visual indication for a dialogue moment seems like a good way to cover it if I can't fix it.

It's so useful to hear how long one mechanic lasts before it gets boring, so I've made a start on adding two other types of spinning stick. I'm also working on some more enemies for this zone (I have enemies for the other zones, but I'd like to save them for later) to add more variety in the attack patterns too.

I'm trying to get a basic version of the game together before I approach a sound designer, but I agree that there is a big gap without sound or music.

I hope to have an updated version ready soon.

Thanks so much for all the advice, it's really helped me see the game with fresh eyes and focus on what it needs again.

Thanks @jdlcrater , sorry I missed your comment!

Still going with this one. Feedback on the earlier version was pretty clear that there needed to be more variety, and what began as a few more characters and puzzles has become a complete rebuild of the game. I have a narrative and puzzle plans now, I have designed all the characters, and so far about half of them are working and good to go. I am slowly making my way through the levels and focusing on mechanics which are specific to each scene. These images are mostly from the opening River region.

I'm thinking of calling the game 'Solstice', as it's simpler and describes the game as I see it.

This process is taking a long time, but hopefully it will be completed one day!

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Love this!

Looking great! Glad to see so much progress, let me know if you need more testing done!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

This looks awesome !

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Awesome art style. Don't think I've seen anything quite like it in a game before