Mazes of Karradash 2 - in progress

Hi,

a couple of months ago I've published Mazes of Karradash, a first person dungeon crawl RPG (like Dungeon Master or Eye of Beholder). The games was well received (here is a review on toucharcade http://toucharcade.com/2015/08/05/mazes-of-karradash-review/ ), so I've started to work on MoK2.

The structure of the game remains the same, but there are many new features:

1. Dungeons almost three times bigger.
  2. More facilities in the city to use and enhance.
  3. More equippable items such as rings, amulets, helmets and double weapons.
  4. New potions and bombs.
  5. The dungeon exploration is more complex: added gates, levers and keys.
  6. You can hire mercenaries or summon monsters that will help you in combat.
  7. Added a new attribute, LUCK, that effects saving throws and loot.
  8. New classes and new ranks to unlock by achieving certain goals (kill X monsters, cast X spells ecc).
  9. In addition to race and class you can also choose a trait (thin, brawler, charismatic, etc.) for your character.

This is a video with a early version of the game: I've a lot of things to fix (text, graphics and other stuff), but it's just to show you some progress..

Suggestions and feedbacks are welcome ;)

Comments

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

this looks great :) absolutely love it. keep it up..

I'm at a point in one of my games where i need to implement a levelling system and have the enemies level scale with this, I'm finding quite hard, do you have any info or web links that could help maybe..

thanks jay

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219
    edited December 2015

It took me some times to solve this issue. In my case, I proceeded by trial and error, by changing the values of the enemies from time to time...but every game is different :)

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

Got an awesome from me... :)

I really enjoyed Mazes of Karradash (so much so that it inspired me to start work on my own DungeonMaster style game), so really excited to see work on a sequel.

Liking the improved graphics too... a definite purchase/download from me once its finished!

Keep up the good work... :)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Nice! The early version looks good.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Prisma_Comunicazione Looking good! New button design and all!

If you need any beta testers, let me know. I'll hunt down all the small annoying bugs and issues for you and then pester you about them. ;)

edited December 2015

@Chunkypixels said:
    Got an awesome from me... :)

I really enjoyed Mazes of Karradash (so much so that it inspired me to start work on my own DungeonMaster style game), so really excited to see work on a sequel.

Liking the improved graphics too... a definite purchase/download from me once its finished!

Keep up the good work... :)

Thank you, I'm glad you like the first Karradash so much :)

@pHghost said:
    @Prisma_Comunicazione Looking good! New button design and all!

If you need any beta testers, let me know. I'll hunt down all the small annoying bugs and issues for you and then pester you about them. ;)

Indeed, probably I'll need some beta testers, so thank you :D

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looks so good!

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

Very impressive, @Prisma_Comunicazione there's a ton of work you've already done right there!

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

uh 3D-ish!? LOVE IT!! Nice work

thanks to everyone :)

One of the new features introduced in Mazes of Karradash 2 is the Runemaster, which allows the player to create their own special skills.

To do this, you must first retrieve the runes hidden in dungeons (they do not appear randomly but are positioned in specific chests). Each rune adds a feature to the skill (Damage, chance of change enemy's ailment, damage combat values etc.) and the more powerful the skill the greater are the cost in gold for engrave the rune and the cost of SP to use it.

I'm searching for a couple of beta testers for the iOS version of Karradash 2 (using test flight); is someone interested? ;)

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Yes, I'll send you a private message with my email address.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Love seeing work like this, showing what gamesalad can do with some imagination and effort. Sadly I'm on android so can't help test, but looking forward to getting my hands on it come launch

Definitely! Sending PM.

edited January 2016

I've sent a build today, I'll let you know when it is ready to test, thanks again ;)
    EDIT: request sent to @tatiang ;)
    @pHghost I haven't received your email address!

Strange, let me re-check that!

Should be there now...hopefully?

edited January 2016

Version 0.2.1

This reminds me of the original Might and Magic which was a game I really enjoyed as a kid. Always nice to see throwbacks to those days. :)

Now for the feedback -- mostly critical, which doesn't mean I don't like the game but I think it's often more helpful to find out what doesn't work when you're testing a game...

1. There's a LOT to this game. It's pretty confusing as a first-time player. I suspect if I read the manual I might understand it better but... the online manual button is a link to a blank page.

2. During character creation, I have a choice of nine character head images. Are they all supposed to be Humans or will I have the option to change that? Currently, choosing a different image doesn't seem to have any affect on the game.

3. Rolling the dice and seeing what comes up is something I enjoy about RPGs. But my feeling is that a spread of 9-11 points on any stat isn't very interesting/exciting. There's never the feeling that I won the lottery. I know you're probably balancing a whole lot of things in the game so it might not be an easy thing to just alter that range but I'd enjoy seeing something like 8-12 or 7-13.

4. The << button on the item selection scene takes me back to the intro scene and effectively cancels my game. :( Also, I'd recommend putting all of those selection screens (e.g. Weapons, Armours, etc.) into a single scene so that the player doesn't have to wait for all of the load times. You can do this in a single large scene with camera positions changing or you can just overlay all of the info using different sections of a table and an index row.

5. Changing weapons only works once or twice during initial character creation. After I tap a few times, it no longer responds.

6. I think the location arrow on the mini map should be much smaller so that it’s closer to fitting within a single grid square. Then again… how does the mini map work? It doesn’t seem to always update while I’m walking.

7. The left and right turn buttons should have larger "mask" actors with touch detection to allow for easier tapping. I often think I've pressed them and nothing happens. I think I'd prefer a button layout where the left and right turn buttons were next to each other. That way, I could play with two hands (thumbs) and move much faster.

8. One stretch of the map was just 60 or 70 steps forward in a single direction with no change to the scenery and a couple of encounters. I got a little bored… not sure if that’s a bug or not.

9. The pause button ideally should overlay a screen and disable all buttons and actions in the scene. That way you avoid the loading time for switching scenes via a Pause Game behavior.

10. Spell points are not always decreasing when I use Power Attack. I also was awoken from sleep and now have a spell called “???? ???? ???? ????"

11. Potions don’t deplete. Is that intended?

12. I noticed that the degree of tiredness affects the speed of player attacks. There are times when the Giant Wasp or Scorpion attack more than once (sometimes 5 rounds in a row) before I get to attack. [Then again, that also happens when I just start the game with a new character.] That seems reasonable but it seems like I get awoken by an encounter every time I try to sleep. You might consider making the chances a little more favorable for the player to get rest. I also just got the status "Very Tired" after a single encounter with a new character. Seems awfully quick to be negatively affected.

13. During one encounter, I guess my player was so exhausted he couldn’t even attack. None of the action buttons were enabled. I had to force quit the app.

14. I like the chest sounds and animations. I don’t care for the grinding floppy disk “loading” sound.

15. It would be helpful if I could tap (maybe tap and hold) on the small icons that appear in combat to find out what they do (ala tool tips).

16. There should be a way to pause or exit the game during an encounter.

Phew... that's quite a list. I guess you have your work cut out for you! ;)

Great effort so far... I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited January 2016

Thank you for the feedback tatiang ;)

Unfortunately, many of the bugs that you reported do not appear in my "adhoc" build or when I use the preview of GS, but only in this Test Flight build (I've downloaded the version Test Flight with my iTunes account and I have noticed them too). How is it possible?

Anyway, the list: :smiley:

1) I'm still working on the manual, sorry! For now, If you have any question, ask here.
    2) There is a elf, a dwarf, a half-orc and humans. But it's just the image, it doesn't affect anything in the game
    3) It's just the beginning of the game. Upgrading farms in the village you will unlock a wide range for the dice (Base values +d12)
    4) mmm...maybe in the first equipment screen (main weapon)..in the other equipment selection screens the "<<" button move you back of one step...
    5) Test-Flight-Only bug...I have to check it...
    6) Test-Flight-Only bug
    7) You are right. I'll fix it.
    8) On the first level there are no doors, no gates, no levers and no secret walls (it's a forest). You will see more stuff from level 2
    9) You are right
    10) The SP point issue is a Test-Flight-Only bug. About the "?????": when you encounter a enemy while sleeping, you wake up Weak (you will get tired very soon) and Confused (every skills appear as ???????).
    11) Test-Flight-Only bug. It's the same for gold when you upgrade stuff...I don't know why...
    12) To sleep a little safer you can read a "Calm Enemy" scroll. Note: If you rest when the orb in the top left of the screen is red, you are more likely to encounter a enemy.
    13) Test-Flight-Only bug.
    14) ok ;)
    15) I'm sorry, I hope that the manual will help
    16) I'll think about it

Anyone know why so many bugs in this build? Most of them do not appear in the adhoc...and, like this, it's unplayable!

A couple of other info and known issues:

• The beta version you are playing has only 4 levels. After that, you will stuck and the map will not change.
    • I have to proofread text
    • You can read the manual for the first Karradash here: http://68k.prisma-comunicazione.it/karradash/manual_karradash.html . I have changed a lot of stuff, but some rules and commands are still the same.
    edited January 2016

An update is available! @tatiang @pHghost please check it, thanks :)

I know you weren't able to fix everything for this update so you may already be aware of this but when I try to choose a different weapon during the character select screen, the game goes back to the title screen and I lose my character.

I was able to tap on the map icon and view the whole map which is great. But I can only view it once, which seems strange. It's not like I can memorize all of that... I guess I could take a screenshot on my phone but it would be better to have that continually available. Also, the red circle is hard for me to see (could be my minor color-blindness). And I'd prefer to have a mark in the exact square where I'm located. Plus, the "x" should be larger/more obvious. I'm still not sure what that symbolizes as I haven't gotten there yet.

And I think I mentioned this before but it's quite frustrating to have your character get tired so quickly all the time especially DURING encounters.

What's the object of the game? Am I trying to find an exit to the next map/level? Is it possible to return to the starting point and get back to the main screen that way? Can I equip different items while adventuring on a map?

If I create a character with 11 speed and choose Lightweight, my speed stays at 11. Shouldn't it increase?

I now see what the X is for.

When I improve my village, the gold I have left doesn't decrease.

@68kStudios I haven't received anything yet...

edited January 2016

@tatiang said:
    I know you weren't able to fix everything for this update so you may already be aware of this but when I try to choose a different weapon during the character select screen, the game goes back to the title screen and I lose my character.

It's strange. The "<<" icon actually bring you back to the main manu (and erase the character) if you are on the main weapon screen. To select the weapon, you have to touch the arrow on the bottom left to choose the page and then touch the name of the weapon.

I was able to tap on the map icon and view the whole map which is great. But I can only view it once, which seems strange. It's not like I can memorize all of that... I guess I could take a screenshot on my phone but it would be better to have that continually available. Also, the red circle is hard for me to see (could be my minor color-blindness). And I'd prefer to have a mark in the exact square where I'm located. Plus, the "x" should be larger/more obvious. I'm still not sure what that symbolizes as I haven't gotten there yet.

To view the map of the entire level you have to use a scroll of MAGIC MAP, if you have it. Open the menu (the chest icon on the bottom right) and then select the map)

And I think I mentioned this before but it's quite frustrating to have your character get tired so quickly all the time especially DURING encounters.

The fatigue work only during encounters. If you attack the enemy without any rest, you obviously will get tired quickly. You have to use the DEFEND or WAIT command to recover your stamina. These commands are available only if the next isn't your turn. This review of the first Karradash explain the mechanics quite well (it's probably better than my broken english!) http://jayisgames.com/review/mazes-of-karradash.php

What's the object of the game? Am I trying to find an exit to the next map/level? Is it possible to return to the starting point and get back to the main screen that way? Can I equip different items while adventuring on a map?

You have to reach level 20 and kill the main boss. Obviously, this requires a lot of characters due to perma-death system ;)

Did you notice if other bugs (potions and SP count) are still there? I know that the gold amount do not decrease...

It's strange. The "<<" icon bring you back to the main manu (and erase the character). To select the weapon, you have to touch the arrow on the bottom left to choose the page and then touch the name of the weapon.

Right, and when I tap on the name of a weapon, it takes me back to the title screen.

To view the map of the entire level you have to use a scroll of MAGIC MAP, if you have it.

I understand that but what I meant was that once you use a scroll of MAGIC MAP on a level, you should have access to that full map for the entire duration of that level.

The next time I created a character, my gold was -96. So I guess it did subtract something when I was improving the village but obviously it's not working quite right.

Reach level 20... wow. What's your estimate for how long it should take to finish level 1? The game seems extremely hard right now. That may be your intention but if it isn't, I think it's good feedback.

@tatiang said:
    Right, and when I tap on the name of a weapon, it takes me back to the title screen.

Mmm...I really don't know why...do it happens every time you touch a weapon name? Any weapons?

I understand that but what I meant was that once you use a scroll of MAGIC MAP on a level, you should have access to that full map for the entire duration of that level.

Well, it's a maze :)

The next time I created a character, my gold was -96. So I guess it did subtract something when I was improving the village but obviously it's not working quite right.

It happens only with this build, and I don't know why. Any suggestion? -_-

Reach level 20... wow. What's your estimate for how long it should take to finish level 1? The game seems extremely hard right now. That may be your intention but if it isn't, I think it's good feedback.

Yes, I know, it's a little hard...remember that it is inspired by old-school games! But if you get how to fight during encounters, it will become easier.