Updates 1.24.39 & 1.24.5821 are now live...

Comments

• teamdklteamdkl Member Posts: 12

Not sure what others are seeing, but this is the worst build we had in a while. Animations aren't smooth, some seem fine, others aren't working at all.

Collisions have changed which now breaks our game and it's not clear what needs to be done.

@CodeWizard can you please explain what needs to happen now for handling collision ordering. Our game was fine up to 1.23, it was performing great and now it seems we have to go back to the drawing board. I know you guys are working hard, but at this point its a real problem for us because we were wrapping things up and getting ready to release this month.

Anyone know if there's a location for Mac Creator 1.23 download still available?

• CoolFishGSCoolFishGS Member Posts: 14

@GeorgeGS
    No. Its bug when interstitial ads and banner ads dont work together.

• msx88msx88 Member, PRO Posts: 27

Hello, after upgrading to the latest Mac build, my simple touch animation for moving the character up and down on the screen isn't working anymore. I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues and how I can go about fixing this? As of today, my game isn't playable anymore. I checked all of my layers and images, they seem fine so I'm not sure if there are any major changes to the latest build that I should be aware of and need to change anything in my game accordingly? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!!

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180

Hello, I ran a couple more tests on my Kindle and at times it will start slowing down.. it maybe the fact of saving tables as pointed in the comments above. I will test more on the Samsung S6 later..

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@teamdkl said:
    Anyone know if there's a location for Mac Creator 1.23 download still available?

PM me if you can't find a copy.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited December 2015

@Socks said:

@ForumNinja said:
    @Socks You can move your images around in the library, but when you save/exit your project and load it again they will be set back to alphabetical order :)

Yep, just checked, it's terrible ! :D But maybe that's just the way I work ?

Maybe I just need to stop forever whining about the images pane, and except it for what it is, I try and spend as little time in there as possible, but I use lots of images, sometimes multiple image sequences in the hundreds (something GameSalad excels at).

So now if I were to import (for example) a handful of new images to build an actor rather than them all being in once place (the nearest thing we had to a folder system was that images imported at the sometime would at least be in one location), they would now be spread out amongst hundreds of other images unless you name them all with the same starting letter or word, making sure you have nothing else starting with the same word so they don't get mixed in with them . . . .

Like I say I just need to stop forever whining about the images pane, it's a compromise at best, and it basically works, I just think this has removed a little bit of the (little) control we had with the Images pane.

. . . . . . . . .

Are there any more details on the sleeping / physics engine, sounds good if it speeds things up, but for those situations where we might need to adjust our code what should we be looking out for - and what kinds of adjustments would help ?

With all the workarounds that we have had to deal with. And Using a Naming scheme is out of your wheelhouse?

What if they made it a option. Alphabet or Manual. At least you would have the option.

See how important having an option is when its a feature "YOU" care about.

Did you missed the part where he said he could live with it?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Don't egg him on. ;)

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

Android performance is worst than ever. Cmon guys, this cant be true, this must be a joke. Play and create problems in Release Candidate but please do not touch Stable Version. Do we want custom collisions or unusable APK? And test everything before it goes live for heavens sake. Still cant release ANYTHING to GPlay. Getting tired of this, that, this, that. Issues every day, waiting months for critical fixes, LOL... The only logic way is turning 38 and 39 into Release Candidate and return 35 to Stable immediately!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@teamdkl For your game in particular, it's the physics auto sleeping that seems to cause issues with your puzzle pieces falling down properly. Sadly, your logic is sufficiently opaque to me that I can't really pinpoint exactly why that is. Except, of course, that your game seems to rely on precise ordering of collision events and that we can't guarantee that order in all cases. I'd be happy to work with you to help better understand the problem and help figure out a change to your logic to make it work.

As for broken animations... we're not seeing that in any of our tests (which are substantial). Can you pass along any additional details on that for us?

@sapporo_msx88 Can you open a support request with us and hook us up with a copy of your game project? We'll take a look and see what's up.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2015

@FINNBOGG said:
    See how important having an option is when its a feature "YOU" care about.

'feature' ?

Changing the ordering rule is a 'feature' now ? :)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Thank you for a very fast fix on image library ordering...

@Bitvork Sorry you're frustrated. We test our changes pretty thoroughly. But, there are a huge variety of games out there which makes it hard to catch issues in all of them. If you're seeing particular problems, please let us know so we can take a look. Thanks!

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    edited December 2015

@CodeWizard: I am now sending test APK to you (via chat). Maybe it could help. Thank you for your interest...

Looks like we're zeroing in on an android-specific spawning problem. More news soon. Should have a fix ready today -- although it may not be released until tomorrow!

• Sas-djSas-dj Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2015

omg ...my game is worse then ever .... i need to go back to 1.23....
    i can download .... but how do i load a project that was made on 1.24???

my game was fine unto 1.23

please explain????

please help @CodeWizard

edited December 2015

//

@Sas-dj Patience. We're working on the issues. But, let's be sure... are you noticing problems on your Android build only? Or is there something else going on?

edited December 2015

@CodeWizard everything was fine until 1.23 on both android & iOS

now loading time are rubbish, performance as slowed down on both android & iOS

I've also noticed performance of the creator is a lot slower (mac)

i need to go back to 1.0.0

my game was ready to be released this month

now I've gone back 2 months

can i go back to 1.0.0 ??????

@Sas-dj said:
    my game was ready to be released this month

now I've gone back 2 months

This sounds like teamdkl (at the top of this page), you both have apps ready to be released - and during a live project you not only changed your main software but presumably deleted the old software and kept no backup copies of previous versions of your project ?

This is seems like a dangerous way of working !?

@Socks thanks for constructive criticism
    but i have updated many times with out any problems
    until now
    i won't make the same mistake again
    focus should be on what to do now ...NOT ... what we could have done

but thanks for your thoughts

anybody ??? is there anyway of loading a 1.24 project into 1.0.0 creator??

thanks

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@CodeWizard said:
    Or is there something else going on?

@CodeWizard, there seems to be some issues with events. In particular rules not firing when they should.

I am in the process of putting together a project showing this.

edited December 2015

@Sas-dj said:

Well . . . I didn't mean to be harsh, it's just that you see this so often (two examples in this very thread alone), I sympathise and understand it must be a real pain to lose work or have your project effected by an update like this (I was whining simply because the order of the image assets was changed, so I image a larger setback must be really frustrating) . . . it's just that I read these posts (all too common) and think there's absolutely no reason people should find themselves in these kinds of situations.

@Sas-dj said:
    until now

Sure, you can cross the road a dozen times with your eyes closed and you can get away with it . . . but like I say above this is seems like a dangerous way of working to me.

@Sas-dj said:

With every update there will be people - some in the middle of a live project - who will install the new software, delete the old software, open there project file (which they have no backup for) into the new software, save, and then in time find an incompatibility . . . it happens a lot, it will happen with the next update and it will happen with the one after that . . . etc etc . . so I don't think it's wrong to highlight that this might not be the best way of working, hopefully if enough people keep saying 'where's your back up' and 'keep a copy of at least the last couple of versions of Creator' . . then the message will permeate through the user base . . maybe ?

Anyhow . . . people have downgraded their projects (to previous versions) with some success in the past, so hopefully someone can help you sort this out.

@Hopscotch Can't wait to see it!

@Socks said:

@Sas-dj said:

Well . . . I didn't mean to be harsh, it's just that you see this so often (two examples in this very thread alone), I sympathise and understand it must be a real pain to lose work or have your project effected by an update like this (I was whining simply because the order of the image assets was changed, so I image a larger setback must be really frustrating) . . . it's just that I read these posts (all too common) and think there's absolutely no reason people should find themselves in these kinds of situations.

@Sas-dj said:
    until now

Sure, you can cross the road a dozen times with your eyes closed and you can get away with it . . . but like I say above this is seems like a dangerous way of working to me.

@Sas-dj said:

With every update there will be people - some in the middle of a live project - who will install the new software, delete the old software, open there project file (which they have no backup for) into the new software, save, and then in time find an incompatibility . . . it happens a lot, it will happen with the next update and it will happen with the one after that . . . etc etc . . so I don't think it's wrong to highlight that this might not be the best way of working, hopefully if enough people keep saying 'where's your back up' and 'keep a copy of at least the last couple of versions of Creator' . . then the message will permeate through the user base . . maybe ?

Anyhow . . . people have downgraded their projects (to previous versions) with some success in the past, so hopefully someone can help you sort this out.

I said the exact same thing to users just a week or two ago in the last update thread. Every developer should have a backup drive and be doing a time machine auto backup. If you want to test out a new build, as I always do, I skip the update and download a copy of the new version and stick it on my external drive and make a copy of my projects and run them in the new version doing some through testing. Even then I don't switch over, I test to be able to report any issues I find. I keep working in the last version I felt was bug free enough for me until I find a next version that works for me. I know this requires patience but rushing only sets you back. I still haven't upgraded to El Capitan becuase of the issues with it. Now it seems apple may finally have them sorted from what I'm reading. But I'll wait a week to see if all is clear with the update apple just put out.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited December 2015

@CodeWizard said:
    @Hopscotch Can't wait to see it!

Sorry, only got to it now.

Attached is a project simulating standard use of GameStates to control flow of a game.

Actor 1 and 2:
    In the example, GameState progresses by rule from 0,1,2 to 3
    If the state changes back to an earlier value, the appropriate rules do not fire.

Actor 3 and 4:
    If the initial increment is triggered by a click, then the subsequent rules work as expected.

The reason seems to be that rules which run in the very first code cycle, do not trigger on subsequent state changes.

Proof: Delaying the auto increment in Actor 1 (e.g. by a timer), will make Actors 1 and 2 behave as expected.

Guys, for everyone that is stating "every developer should keep backups" you are beating a dead horse (we already know this). We were not going to release on 1.23, no matter what. We felt 1.23 wasn't a good enough build for some performance and slow down from the "previous builds". So at that point we are stuck anyway, regardless of backups :)

We were following the GS threads and kept reading about future promise of performance enhancements, so we kept tweaking until the current build. Bottom line, there's no build that we are happy with to release right now.

It seems the approach GS team they took to fix performance (which might work great for some) broke our game and there's no going back. It's now more work and time on our plate to fix and rewrite whatever is causing these issues.

As for 1.23, it would have been nice to have that version forked, for at least a couple months, with some bug fixes and updates while everyone is moving over to the 1.24 versions. It would have been a lot smoother but obviously more work, only time will tell, but I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg.

I feel for the GS team, I know this stuff is hard, but at the same time having developers recode games that have been working is not a great relationship builder.

@CodeWizard I appreciate your help response and will contact you once we dig deeper ourselves.