Updates 1.24.39 & 1.24.5821 are now live...

Comments

• @Hopscotch said:

@CodeWizard said:
    Or is there something else going on?

@CodeWizard, there seems to be some issues with events. In particular rules not firing when they should.

I am in the process of putting together a project showing this.

I've been experiencing code problems with the last few builds. Logic doesn't seem to be working the same like it had in my last big project I worked on for a couple years. It seems like things get missed.
    For example I have a character where if he gets hit it turns on a self.damaged boolean. While its on the character blinks and won't get hurt again if it hits another bad guy. Then after 3 seconds switches it off. About 10% of the time it doesn't switch off though. I have a lot of stuff like this happening so I have to put rules on top of rules as back ups. So I switch it off after 3 seconds and also have 3.5 seconds. Not ideal.
    I used similar types of logic all the time in previous versions of creators with no issues, they worked like they should.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@CodeWizard my apps are working fine , even i tested with old(2013) apps....loading time also better than before. thanks for the hard work.

• msx88msx88 Member, PRO Posts: 27

@CodeWizard Thanks, will definitely do. As a test, I've opened up a previous version of my Game Project file (which had no issues) into the latest GameSalad build and it's also having the same problems I've experienced today. Other touch functions work fine except for the ones that are associated with Boolean, it seems.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@teamdkl said:
    Guys, for everyone that is stating "every developer should keep backups" you are beating a dead horse (we already know this). We were not going to release on 1.23, no matter what. We felt 1.23 wasn't a good enough build for some performance and slow down from the "previous builds". So at that point we are stuck anyway, regardless of backups :)

We were following the GS threads and kept reading about future promise of performance enhancements, so we kept tweaking until the current build. Bottom line, there's no build that we are happy with to release right now.

It seems the approach GS team they took to fix performance (which might work great for some) broke our game and there's no going back. It's now more work and time on our plate to fix and rewrite whatever is causing these issues.

As for 1.23, it would have been nice to have that version forked, for at least a couple months, with some bug fixes and updates while everyone is moving over to the 1.24 versions. It would have been a lot smoother but obviously more work, only time will tell, but I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg.

I feel for the GS team, I know this stuff is hard, but at the same time having developers recode games that have been working is not a great relationship builder.

@CodeWizard I appreciate your help response and will contact you once we dig deeper ourselves.

Nobody is beating a dead horse. That's fine you get it. But don't pretend to speak for other users who may find this recommendation valuable.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    edited December 2015

I always start a project with 0.0.1, then I experiment and save files to 0.02, 0.0.3, etc. When I find the mechanic I'm looking for, I change to 0.1. From there its working until I reach 1.0 (which rarely happens to me unfortunately).
    This way I never loose track of what I'm doing, and I have my backups in case anything goes wrong;)

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@sapporo_msx88 said:
    @CodeWizard Thanks, will definitely do. As a test, I've opened up a previous version of my Game Project file (which had no issues) into the latest GameSalad build and it's also having the same problems I've experienced today. Other touch functions work fine except for the ones that are associated with Boolean, it seems.

Can you publish the project you're having trouble with and pm me the link? Is it only failing on devices or in preview as well?

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@teamdkl said:
    Guys, for everyone that is stating "every developer should keep backups" you are beating a dead horse (we already know this). We were not going to release on 1.23, no matter what. We felt 1.23 wasn't a good enough build for some performance and slow down from the "previous builds". So at that point we are stuck anyway, regardless of backups :)

We were following the GS threads and kept reading about future promise of performance enhancements, so we kept tweaking until the current build. Bottom line, there's no build that we are happy with to release right now.

It seems the approach GS team they took to fix performance (which might work great for some) broke our game and there's no going back. It's now more work and time on our plate to fix and rewrite whatever is causing these issues.

As for 1.23, it would have been nice to have that version forked, for at least a couple months, with some bug fixes and updates while everyone is moving over to the 1.24 versions. It would have been a lot smoother but obviously more work, only time will tell, but I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg.

I feel for the GS team, I know this stuff is hard, but at the same time having developers recode games that have been working is not a great relationship builder.

@CodeWizard I appreciate your help response and will contact you once we dig deeper ourselves.

I would love to see nightlies come back. "Forked"...lol that is one great way to put it.

I would not want a brand new GS user download and then find these problems some are having....I was going to uograde just so my images would be in order...would rather them be in the order I imported them...like it was before it broke. Im glad I read this forum at work before I went home to work on my project.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

I like the idea of nightlies. Might help in these cases -- might not. Mostly because not many users actually used nightlies when they were available.

The bigger issue, it seems to me, is that we're really starting to address some of the core issues in the codebase. This includes fixing architectural problems that cause performance issues, etc.

The problem arises when projects rely on behavior that is modified by our fixes. We do our best to ensure that behavior is the same between builds... but it's hard to guarantee that across all cases.

For hobbyist developers, this shouldn't present a large problem. But, if you're trying to publish a game, then you'll need to be judicious about when you update GameSalad. We provide standalone builds of Windows Creator (that don't auto-update) and you can also avoid updating your Mac Creator.

The best bet here for professional developers is to hold off updating to new versions -- especially ones that have a major / minor revision change (i.e. 1.24 vs 1.23). When you do update, make sure you test a copy of your project on the new version before deciding to make the jump.

We're going to continue addressing the core problems we're seeing in the engine. And we'll keep doing our best to ensure we don't break existing behavior when possible. But, we can't guarantee that.

The upside, though, is that we're here to work with you and fix up any problems that you do see! Let's work together on that! :)

• Sas-djSas-dj Member Posts: 46

Anybody get a link or a copy of Mac Creator 0.13.47

thanks

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited December 2015

@Sas-dj said:
    Anybody get a link or a copy of Mac Creator 0.13.47

thanks

You should have been prompted to update when you open Creator.
    Here is a link to download on their webpage, though.

https://gamesalad.com/download/releases

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

if its not listed copy the a download link for a creator and then change the version in the url to the number of creator you want.

edited December 2015

@BlackCloakGS

tried that
    it says
    AccessDeniedAccess Denied84217DA24A53FC74LRlBCjiGyWu0lKD5NxB4kw1nY4MjGhyvNBES7GBUrs2oEdXgeX3rrcxQKFiXz6G7WUwuiqeGcdw=

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

sent you a message with the link

cheers thanks @BlackCloakGS

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@CodeWizard

Regarding the Rules not firing, did the project I posted help?

I subsequently posted this bug with new project attachment after narrowing the problem down further:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509

The following seems to be happening:

If a rule gets triggered (e.g. if Attribute=1 (TRUE condition) )
    and then changes said Attribute to 0 (FALSE condition),
    all in the (seemingly) first code cycle,
    then the rule will no longer get triggered by subsequent TRUE conditions.

This may be the culprit for various of the reported issues with 1.24.x, as the above can take many forms.

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

I have a question regarding the last few builds, I'm not long back working with GS so maybe it's an old bug! I have an actor for walls and when I click into the actor I have it set to not visable, but when I check the visable box the actor doesn't show up in the scene! Is this a known bug or should I put in a big report? It's very annoying having to find where I've placed all the wall actors on a scene

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Hopscotch said:
    @CodeWizard

Regarding the Rules not firing, did the project I posted help?

I subsequently posted this bug with new project attachment after narrowing the problem down further:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509

The following seems to be happening:

If a rule gets triggered (e.g. if Attribute=1 (TRUE condition) )
    and then changes said Attribute to 0 (FALSE condition),
    all in the (seemingly) first code cycle,
    then the rule will no longer get triggered by subsequent TRUE conditions.

This may be the culprit for various of the reported issues with 1.24.x, as the above can take many forms.

I commented on the bug, but the project you provided doesn't work properly in 1.23 either. Do you know when this stopped working, or has it never worked? Just trying to narrow down where/when to look.

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 65

@CodeWizard - I just found a bug in the new release of the windows creator. I use the backspace key in my game. I adjusted some of my layers and tested the game through the viewer. Every time I press backspace in the game viewer, it deletes items from the layers in the creator.

I'm an android guy. I am not able to test my game right now through the phone app because it became too glitchy with the update. Now I can't test it through the creator because its deleting layers. This sucks. I'm losing patience.

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

@CodeWizard @BlackCloakGS @stevej Today was a very trying day for me... :( This version of the GS creator is woefully slow. Not only am I not seeing any noticeable increase in scene loading nor any better android performance but the rainbow beachball is back in full swing on nearly everything I click on. Except this time the creator doesn't start out fast and get slower after time like in the fairly distant past. No this time it starts out slow and gets dreadfully slower within 10-15 minutes! Also I had to force quit it twice today because it just became 100% unresponsive. Now I really hate to complain like this but ever since several updates ago when custom collisions (which I don't use) were added and android performance was hacked down to an unplayable level the Creator's flow has progressively gotten worse. Please GS devs, all the features in the world don't make an ounce of difference if you for 1. can't make a playable game on a major device's market (meaning android), and 2. just have a stressful time doing it.

So for my Christmas gift I would just love a creator version that runs well and is a joy to use. Custom fonts are cool and everything but performance and bug fixes should be priority. So as I say in most of my posts directed to you devs thanks for the hard work and please keep up the good job! :) And also please forgive me for complaining I never like to be negative. I hope you have a great night!

• teamdklteamdkl Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2015

** Tip for 1.24 Collisions

If you are relying on one actor to many actor collisions at the same time, change the follow:

Physics.Movable = True

When this is false, only ONE collision will get triggered.

Even if your actor doesn't need movable, you need to have this on for collisions to work correct in some cases.

When we turned this back on for all static actors, collisions started working again.

Hope this helps!

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited December 2015

@Socks said:

@FINNBOGG said:
    See how important having an option is when its a feature "YOU" care about.

'feature' ?

Changing the ordering rule is a 'feature' now ? :)

I would say getting to organize your images the way you could before is a "feature" you would like to have again. You like it one way. Someone else likes it another. Wouldn't the "OPTION" to choose be nice in this instance? OPTIONSSSSSS yummy. Always a good thing when you can give your users options.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@FINNBOGG said:
    I would say getting to organize your images the way you could before is a "feature" you would like to have again.

Cool, another 'feature' I'd like to see is the removal (and reinstatement) of the Change Velocity behaviour :)

@Socks said:

@FINNBOGG said:
    I would say getting to organize your images the way you could before is a "feature" you would like to have again.

Cool, another 'feature' I'd like to see is the removal (and reinstatement) of the Change Velocity behaviour :)

Or maybe the option to choose?

edited December 2015

@FINNBOGG said:

@Socks said:

@FINNBOGG said:

Or maybe the option to choose?

No, users shouldn't be allowed to choose whether they want to use the Change Velocity behaviour, it should be automatically applied to all actors :p

Just admit. User options if available and probable is a good thing. If there was a drop down option to choose how you want your images managed. You would be satisfied knowing you had a choice. If you can't agree to the premise of my argument. Then you're very poor at trolling.

:p > @FINNBOGG said:

If you can't agree to the premise of my argument. Then you're very poor at trolling.

Is there a point you are trying to make ? From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) this is about you arguing for GameSalad artificially delaying Creator releases to wait for the App Store approval of the GS Viewer ? And you would like to see this as an option ? So people can choose to wait for the App Store to approve the Viewer before installing Creator (a choice that already exists), and you are kind of using the recent change in how the image assets are sorted to argue for this 'option', have I got that right, is that your basic point ?

I don't think my options argument spawned from the viewer discussion. I've always felt that if options were possible then we should get them. And I wasn't saying what they should do. I said I felt it would feel more professional. If everything was released at the same time and not have to wait on one or the other. And I also believe I said that I was perfectly waiting on the most recent viewer release before installing the newest creator release. That was my "option".

When a image display can be managed 2 different ways. Why not create a option menu in the creator preferences. Or a drop down menu on top of the images display window.

If GS can give you something 2 different ways. Then allow the individual user the option to choose. A % of users prefer this method. A% of user feel it's easier the other way. I'm saying flexibility for users is a good thing. So GS should capitalize on this when ever they can. Don't have to vote for one or the other. Not when you can give them the "OPTION"

If you don't like options. Then stick with the alphabet style management and create some image naming workaround. IDK.

@FINNBOGG said:
    I don't think my options argument spawned from the viewer discussion.

When you posted this . . .

@FINNBOGG said:
    See how important having an option is when its a feature "YOU" care about.

. . . there is an implicit suggestion that I have argued against an option that you care about, the most obvious candidate would be your wish to see Creator's release held back so as to neatly line up with the App Store's approval of the viewer, because to you this feels more professional.

But if this is not what you were referring to then what did you mean by your comment ?

@FINNBOGG said:
    If you don't like options

Lol :)

• dlaimdlaim Member Posts: 110

@CodeWizard

1.24.XX is very very bad on performance on android devices.

hope to fix this soon.

thanks.