Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited December 2015

@stevej said:
    BTW, although CodeWizard said in another thread that this would be available by Christmas, given we're still tracking down issues with 1.24, and the short week next week, it's much more likely it will be released before the end of the year, or the 1st week in January at the latest. Just don't want people to have unmet expectations.

Take your time and make it right. No rush. You folks are doing a great job!

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

Kudos. The difficult you do immediately. The impossible takes a bit longer.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Absolutely, take your time! Much more important to nail down the engine first! And you guys need a Christmas break, don't overdo it :D

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Armelline said:
    I do feel a lot of sympathy for those who are suffering these issues with each build, but I glance down the bug list and see few if any bugs submitted by the people who do the most complaining.

If your game has an issue, submit a bug with steps to reproduce it. Strip your project down until only the aspects affected by the bug are left and submit that to the bug report too. Only GS staff can download attachments to bugs. The same handful of people submit 90% of the bugs in the database, and they're not the same people who complain loudly every time a release isn't perfect. It's a two way street.

I've updated the FAQs to reflect this suggestion: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/66768/forum-faq?new=1#techsupport.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looking forward to it! Take your time! I'd rather have a great New Year gift than a half baked Christmas present. ;)

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

Will the Custom Fonts thing include the ability to choose more colours than just the default 48 currently? (May just be a PC thing)

• epicmanepicman Games Developer Crewe, United KingdomMember, PRO Posts: 21

@Moik said:
    Will the Custom Fonts thing include the ability to choose more colours than just the default 48 currently? (May just be a PC thing)

Yes that must be a windows thing. On mac, you can select the Hexidecimal you want.

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278
    edited January 2016

@Moik said:

Until a full palette comes to the display text behavior you can always edit the actor xml file directly .

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

@tmann said:
    Until a full palette comes to the display text behavior you can always edit the actor xml file directly .

That's what I ended up doing. Was a bit of a pain to go back and hunt down some of the earlier actors, but I have a rhythm/process down.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Been away for a while, is the "center of mass" attribute in the newest version (i still on 13.30)

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@freneticz said:
    Been away for a while, is the "center of mass" attribute in the newest version (i still on 13.30)

Yes it is, but it has a bug when used with collisions.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@jonmulcahy said:
    So how's 1.25 looking?

So far the custom font system looks good, all known bugs with it are fixed. But it looks like there will be one more 1.24 release (with various bug fixes, including the CoM/custom collision bug), so 1.25 probably won't be out until after this week. The good news is that the extra time will allow for more optimizations, and some new ways you'll be able to use physics in your games.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@stevej said:

@jonmulcahy said:
    So how's 1.25 looking?

So far the custom font system looks good, all known bugs with it are fixed. But it looks like there will be one more 1.24 release (with various bug fixes, including the CoM/custom collision bug), so 1.25 probably won't be out until after this week. The good news is that the extra time will allow for more optimizations, and some new ways you'll be able to use physics in your games.

sounds good, thanks for the update. I'm all for a more robust release!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@stevej said:

@jonmulcahy said:
    So how's 1.25 looking?

Thanks for the update.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2016

@stevej said:
    ... and some new ways you'll be able to use physics in your games.

Maybe we could encourage @Lost_Oasis_Games to teach us about them at the following Meetup? His last physics presentation was fantastic. :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@stevej said:
    The good news is that the extra time will allow for more optimizations, and some new ways you'll be able to use physics in your games.

Sounds good to me !! :) Onwards and upwards.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@PhilipCC said:

@stevej said:
    ... and some new ways you'll be able to use physics in your games.

Maybe we could encourage @Lost_Oasis_Games to teach us about them at the following Meetup? His last physics presentation was fantastic. :)

I'd need to experiment first but I will put them to use with my pinball entry as the new stuff is supposed to help with the collision issues with fast moving objects like flippers.

@stevej said:

@jonmulcahy said:
    So how's 1.25 looking?

The good news is that the extra time will allow for more optimizations, and some new ways you'll be able to use physics in your games.

Like joints ;)

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited January 2016

@stevej Hey, I'm still having collision problems with tags. Just basic collision, like rectangle to rectangle collisions not recognizing eachother.

I'm also seeing the slow motion-like previews people have mentioned.

This has halted my game for like a month and neither of them seem to matter if it's an old project or a new project.

Is there a specific bug to which we should be submitting to so you can see it happening?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@stevej said:
    So far the custom font system looks good, all known bugs with it are fixed.

Looking forward to this so much!

I've one question about the feature (and is related to GS text rendering in general):

The way GS works with text (as confirmed recently) can sometimes cause issues: I've had problems with blurry text in the past especially on universal apps. My solutions to this problem is to build all games at 200% scene size (fitting it on screen by having a double size camera as well), but that makes scenes massive and cumbersome to work with.

This is because GS rasterizes the text according to scene size (I assume), not actual device screen resolution.

It would be great if we as users could have control over the pixel density of the text raster process, this would help keep the text as sharp as necessary under any and all circumstances.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
  • MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited January 2016

@BigDave said:
    @stevej
    Does game salad contain the newest Chartboost SDK?
    https://answers.chartboost.com/hc/en-us/articles/206454153

Last Update: November 20, 2015

not sure if this is the case

Yes. It was updated in GS a few releases back.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/90384/updates-1-24-39-1-24-5821-are-now-live/p1

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@freneticz said:

@stevej said:

@jonmulcahy said:
    So how's 1.25 looking?

Like joints ;)

Well, there might be certain joint-like support coming up, that may be paving the way for full joint support later. Maybe.

@owen_dennis said:
    @stevej Hey, I'm still having collision problems with tags. Just basic collision, like rectangle to rectangle collisions not recognizing eachother.

I'm also seeing the slow motion-like previews people have mentioned.

This has halted my game for like a month and neither of them seem to matter if it's an old project or a new project.

Is there a specific bug to which we should be submitting to so you can see it happening?

The slow motion issue is being worked on here, we've made several fixes and are continuing to look at the problem.

For the collision tag issue, please submit a new bug and send me the bug number in a private message. Attaching a project to the bug that shows the problem would also be very helpful.

@BigDave said:
    @stevej
    Does game salad contain the newest Chartboost SDK?
    https://answers.chartboost.com/hc/en-us/articles/206454153

Last Update: November 20, 2015

not sure if this is the case

We currently support ChartBoost 6.1.0 on Android, and will support 6.1.0 on iOS in the next release. We're also updating the RevMob and AdMob SDKs to their most recent versions as well.

However, we still don't support video ads, although we plan on doing so soon.

@pHghost said:

@stevej said:
    So far the custom font system looks good, all known bugs with it are fixed.

Looking forward to this so much!

I've one question about the feature (and is related to GS text rendering in general):

The way GS works with text (as confirmed recently) can sometimes cause issues: I've had problems with blurry text in the past especially on universal apps. My solutions to this problem is to build all games at 200% scene size (fitting it on screen by having a double size camera as well), but that makes scenes massive and cumbersome to work with.

This is because GS rasterizes the text according to scene size (I assume), not actual device screen resolution.

It would be great if we as users could have control over the pixel density of the text raster process, this would help keep the text as sharp as necessary under any and all circumstances.

We're working on ways to make text sharper. This will be much easier to do now we're using custom fonts, as all font rendering now goes through the same path.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@stevej said:

We're working on ways to make text sharper. This will be much easier to do now we're using custom fonts, as all font rendering now goes through the same path.

Great stuff! Looking forward to playing with it.

Thanks!

edited January 2016

The slo-mo killing me in the latest version :( ( it should not be but i miss 13.30, and dont have the install file)
    Where to find version 13.30? anybody have it?