2»

Comments

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

@Socks said:
    //

beer o clock ? :)

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2015

Sad to see another good timer go. Feels like more and more in the community are starting to give up on Gamesalad. Best of luck

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@tmann said:

@Socks said:
    //

beer o clock ? :)

Beer + vodka + Christmas + wine . . . . o'clock.

@zweg25 said:
    Sad to see another good timer go. Feels like more and more in the community are starting to give up on Gamesalad

This whole thread is absolute nonsense.

@Socks said:

@zweg25 said:
    Sad to see another good timer go. Feels like more and more in the community are starting to give up on Gamesalad

This whole thread is absolute nonsense.

You quoted me... why? Not sure if he remembers this, but @VeiraGames was actually one of the first in the community to help me by giving out excellent free art. I could at least say good bye?

@zweg25 said:
    You quoted me... why?

I posted some typically horribly ill-considered inflammatory response and thought to myself that I should reign in my personal thoughts.

@zweg25 said:
    I could at least say good bye?

You seem to be conflating "Feels like more and more in the community are starting to give up on Gamesalad" with the entirely innocent "Hey I just wanted to say goodbye".

Cheeky !

@Socks said:

smh @Socks ...smh

@zweg25 said:

@Socks said:

smh @Socks ...smh

Well argued ! You win ! :)

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    edited December 2015

@zweg25 said:
    Sad to see another good timer go.

This is the nature of an online community, though. New people join. Some churn out, some stay. Veterans hang it up. Some folks burn out. Some take long vacations and then come back. As I said, we never like to see someone go, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Feels like more and more in the community are starting to give up on Gamesalad

While I can understand why you might feel this way, I can tell you that the GameSalad Creator business has (quite literally) never been healthier than it is right now.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634
    edited December 2015

@dgackey said:

I can tell you that the GameSalad Creator business has (quite literally) never been healthier than it is right now.

This.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@dgackey While I can understand why you might feel this way, I can tell you that the GameSalad Creator business has (quite literally) never been healthier than it is right now.

That is really good to hear, I'm glad everything is working out for the company.

@Socks Beer + vodka + Christmas + wine . . . . o'clock.

Bevochiwi o'clock? Yeah, those are the good nights :sunglasses:

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Approw thanks! I certainly don't want to suggest that we have everything figured out, but the changes that have been made in the past 6 months have really allowed us to focus on the core business, and it's responded well.

At any rate, Happy Holidays everyone!

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Happy holidays!

@dgackey I understand that things still need to get figured out but that is okay! Scientist are also still wondering what a black hole is actually doing, but that doesn't mean what they're doing is pointless. Slow but steady gamesalad will get back on its 2 feet, what am I saying, 4 feet! Thank you, and I wish you and the rest of the team a Merry Christmas!

edited December 2015

@Socks said:

No need to be an obnoxious prick.

@dgackey said:
    While I can understand why you might feel this way, I can tell you that the GameSalad Creator business has (quite literally) never been healthier than it is right now.

That's great to hear!

@zweg25 said:

You're not actually arguing your position by posting that you are shaking your head ('smh') and calling people names, like I say this thread is absolute nonsense, the arguments (for what they are) are nonsense.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    edited December 2015

@Socks said:

@zweg25 said:

You're not actually arguing your position by posting that you are shaking your head ('smh') and calling people names, like I say this thread is absolute nonsense, the arguments (for what they are) are nonsense.

You are talented and seem like a good dude but I disagree here. I see nothing wrong with a contributing member saying goodbye and letting off a little steam when they go.

Most people leaving are probably to some degree not happy with the current situation or they wouldn't be leaving. It has been over a year since I last worked with the topic creator and appreciate him letting everyone know he was leaving.

If everyone that posted in these threads simply said "sorry to see you go, good luck" they wouldn't get out of hand.

As soon as I saw the second post in this thread I knew what would happen.

@BazookaTime said:
    I see nothing wrong with a contributing member saying goodbye and letting off a little steam when they go.

Agreed.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@dgackey said:
    @Approw thanks! I certainly don't want to suggest that we have everything figured out, but the changes that have been made in the past 6 months have really allowed us to focus on the core business, and it's responded well.

@VeiraGames

In all honesty, I was personally opined against GameSalad going paid-only. I'm still not entirely convinced there isn't a net negative effect on potential new users.

But what can be certainly said is that a lot of users remained and the financial boost provided has helped GameSalad a lot. In past couple of moths, SO MUCH has been done on the engine, more than in several past years. GameSalad is becoming better as we speak.

Of course, not everyone will always be happy. Some things simply have to be prioritized over others, you can't do everything at once.

In terms of games being made in GameSalad, I feel the quality is steadily going up.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited December 2015

Good luck @VeiraGames with your future plans.

The comments on the improving situation of GS from @dgackey are very welcome. It makes me think if we do our Pro investment (mine will return) we are like shareholders in the business - I know technically we are not but it is very welcome to get a shareholders report that the finances look better. More of that knowledge would build confidence for the future and possibly for people like @VeiraGames.

@Socks said:

Why do you have to turn an intended harmless comment into an argument? Like why does that give you pleasure?

edited December 2015

@zweg25 I guess that is just @Socks. But he is kind of right. I dont think he means its bad to say goodbye, but the person who started the thread actually triggered a bizar pointless discussion (which we already had a 100 times) that is going no where. If you say goodbye you say goodbye. He obviously had some issues with creator but thats fine, not everyone enjoys a good coffee like I do.

• VGXVGX Member Posts: 796

All I wanted was to say bye and let off a bit of steam about the before and recent experience with GS and the community. I know some weren't going to agree but each to their own. Instead people are in defence mode and taking things too personal.

Its my opinion and feeling at the end of the day. I'm not saying GS is crap. Yes its good, yes there are some great games and templates, yes I would recommend GS to any new starter, yes people like @Socks @Thunder_Child and others are helpful but for me and what I want, GS is no longer useful as been waiting nearly 5 years for certain features in updates but theres nothing or even being mentioned.

Like @UtopianGames said, "GS simply hasn't evolved, its 4 years behind despite having 6 million dollars wasted on it and it still feels like a kids toy"

So again for those reason GS isn't going anywhere for my needs.

Merry Christmas to all and I wish GS has a good year ahead. Good luck to everyone and their projects!

@zweg25 said:
    Why do you have to turn an intended harmless comment into an argument?

I don't think I did, I was responding to a comment with my honest thoughts.

@zweg25 said:
    Like why does that give you pleasure?

Begging the question, more nonsense.

@Approw said:
    I dont think he means its bad to say goodbye . . .

Yep, agreed, I've not suggested it's bad to say goodbye, that's just a silly straw man argument.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

Goodbye man!

@dgackey is right that this is the nature of an online community.

On a side note I do wonder how long GameSalad will keep hiding under the guise of 'improving the engine'?
    I mean that's what i've heard for 4 years ... Is it still not in a good enough position to support joints?!?! I know right, 5 years plus i've worked with GS and still not seen a joints implementation! I have seen many crazy ideas fall by the wayside though ... Like GS Accelerator (or whatever it was called), Graphene is parked (how much resource did that take), the promise of a Lua free engine, etc etc

GS is a great, great tool. I don't use it now, i have limited time to work on it, my pro ran out and i dabbled once in a while when i had time but then they made it paid to use regardless ... Game over! I cant justify paying for something I might only pick up here and there. I probably would if it was a buy and own scenario, not a subscription, but that's their business choice! I read the forums from time to time but that's it for me at the moment.

People will always make comparisons online with tools but i feel most are misplaced .. Corona is one, Unity another, none are like GS so i'm sure GS are fine when people mention going there because its xyz!

All in all, take care dude, as should you all ... Happy holidays ... Enjoy the wines, the mince pies, goodbye!

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

GS and other forums are like places with an open door, kinda like bar. You don't go making formal announcement about not ever returning again...not unless you are Bilbo Baggins about to embark on some epic journey, otherwise you kinda look like you are in need of special attention.

The door is still open.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

@RP said:
    GS and other forums are like places with an open door, kinda like bar. You don't go making formal announcement about not ever returning again...not unless you are Bilbo Baggins about to embark on some epic journey, otherwise you kinda look like you are in need of special attention.

The door is still open.

Not really like a bar at all. When you have worked with people and or have gotten to know people from a community, there is nothing wrong with saying goodbye. Actually it is a good way to let a lot of people know you are moving on and won't be around. I appreciate topics like this. To each his own though.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited December 2015

When you have? What are you implying exactly? You are missing the point of my analogy. I frequent many forums and and "communities". They are open like any open to the public /those of the trade locations. I don't know of a single incident over the last over-15 years where I felt compelled to "leave a community" and make it formal in such a fashion (I just don't use it or visit it anymore). But as you say, to each his own

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

As far as I know, GS doesn't have an exit survey. If they want information on how to improve retention, threads like this are necessary. If they don't know why people are leaving, they won't know what areas to target with solutions should they desire to do so. A more formal and codified version of @VGX's rant would basically be a post-mortem. Things that were bad for the first batch don't need to be bad for the second batch if the first batch is studied.

I've been keeping track of things which are preventing me from easily making a professional-looking project. If I switch out to another tool, It will be because of those hurdles. I feel like the team would appreciate getting a rundown of that more than me simply walking away in spiteful silence since they seem to have responded generally appreciatively to @VGX and other critics here. Plus, seeing a back and forth in the public space between proponents and critics gives a better sounding of the community that just keeping chatter in private. More information gets put on the table to work with, so you can end up with a better calibrated decision.

As aggravating as it may be to have the kind friction threads like this create, they're ultimately a net benefit. Knowledge is power and you never learn anything from someone who agrees with you.