GameSalad Pinball Jam!

1235»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

Has anyone got a good combination of ball and plunger in terms of density? My plunger currently cannot plunge the ball well. I used a significantly higher density on the plunger than on the ball, but the ball still falls through, kinda like the flipper problem. Grrrr. :#

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

I tried a pure physical plunger but couldn't make it work.

Finally I used:
    Press the plunger to make it go down. The further it goes down the greater the power. This power is set when the plunger is released. The ball moves relative to the plunger power.

Note: I had to play with the ball velocity and the time for the plunger going back to its full length. Also the degree of velocity to the length of time the plunger is pressed.

Hope this helps

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Feel bad i dropped out of this, was mainly because of the physics stuff, was taking up to much of my time, also I play a lot of the pinball arcade on PC and think I was getting too picky about ball physics to be honest, I should have thought outside the box really and made a quirky fun game, but if there is a new pinball Jan when .25 releases I'm in :)

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@jay2dx said:
    Feel bad i dropped out of this, was mainly because of the physics stuff, was taking up to much of my time, also I play a lot of the pinball arcade on PC and think I was getting too picky about ball physics to be honest, I should have thought outside the box really and made a quirky fun game, but if there is a new pinball Jan when .25 releases I'm in :)

You can still make it. Because of the delay on 1.25, the jam time was extended. It will be closed at some point after the 1.25 is released.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@jay2dx said:

Yep, A true pinball game is all physics and gravity. A bit too much so for the GameSalad engine as is. But then, the original top down views of 8 and 16 bit Pinball Games often used Tables and 'on rails' motions rather than physics.

If 1.25 solves some of the problems we've been having then this project is a great testing ground.

Join in, I think we still have a bit of time.

Oh really :) well I guess I'll continue then :) will just work on the art and mechanics and hopefully the physics will fall into place thanks guys, actually need to pay for pro again for some reason gs ended my payments so just been using the 15 days for now but they've just ran out!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Valan said:

@jay2dx said:

Yep, A true pinball game is all physics and gravity. A bit too much so for the GameSalad engine as is. But then, the original top down views of 8 and 16 bit Pinball Games often used Tables and 'on rails' motions rather than physics.

If 1.25 solves some of the problems we've been having then this project is a great testing ground.

Join in, I think we still have a bit of time.

I built a great working pinball in 1.25. All the issues are worked out. If you saw the 1.25 sneak peek video you saw the game in action.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I built a great working pinball in 1.25. All the issues are worked out.

Sounds great. Much needed and can't wait.

Cool, well I've actually integrated pinball in to a platformer I'm making! So pretty good to hear this news

@jay2dx said:
    Cool, well I've actually integrated pinball in to a platformer I'm making! So pretty good to hear this news

Now that sounds fascinating.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@jay2dx said:

I played pinbal games that had mini video games in them

Having used Visual Pinball back in the day really spoiled me. That said, I'll give a pinball a shot. I stopped working on a pinball template and started working on a pin ball template (there's a difference, you know), and need to work on a satisfactory plunger.

@mhedges said:
    Having used Visual Pinball back in the day really spoiled me. That said, I'll give a pinball a shot. I stopped working on a pinball template and started working on a pin ball template (there's a difference, you know), and need to work on a satisfactory plunger.

I know what you mean, I've been making a Goonies pinball table in future pinball! Not touched it in like a year but I'm like expecting that level of performance which I shouldn't be haha

edited March 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@jay2dx said:

Now that sounds fascinating.

It's nothing too new but just part of a level layout, as in your in a pinball machine like a few sonic levels maybe! I'll maybe show it on the forums at some point but because of template makers and copycats I've not show any of my games from the last year! Also I've not released em yet too, but they'll be finished soon and will all be paid games with no ads!

edited March 2016

@jay2dx said:
    future pinball!

Yeah, that other program. I never dabbled in it because system requirements were over what I had a the moment, and when I eventually upgraded I never bothered to check it out... :(

@mhedges said:

@jay2dx said:
    future pinball!

Yeah, that other program. I never dabbled in it because system requirements were over what I had a the moment, and when I eventually upgraded I never bothered to check it out... :(

It's pretty good, so many good tables I still play it, works with VR too!

• ThomasjosephThomasjoseph Member Posts: 4

Really a nice idea!!

edited April 2016

ok so how do you do flippers again with the new rotation stuff please? @Lost_Oasis_Games ?? :)

@jay2dx said:
    ok so how do you do flippers again with the new rotation stuff please? @Lost_Oasis_Games ?? :)

I'll make a video this weekend

@Lost_Oasis_Games that would be awesome if you get round to it :)

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

An end date for the game jam has been set (May 31st) and the button to submit your pinball games has been added back to the arcade publishing platform.

Best of luck to everyone!

• TobyToby Member Posts: 478

eeek!

I'm not going to be ready - got no time with other commitments. Can we upload whatever we've completed so far?

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing.

Exam time for my students. I just hadn't had the time to get back in to it.

Exchanged some old code for new code though. And the new GS stuff is sweet!

Valan

edited May 2016

Arghhh, GS is so slooooooow. I'm impacted with the 10.11.5 bug. Having trouble even publishing.

edited May 2016

Done - sadly the collisions etc and performance in HTML are not great. Some collisions not happening and animations not looping. :pensive: http://arcade.gamesalad.com/profile/Toby

I find the text difficult to predict. The placing is off for HTML.
    I feel your pain Toby. Some of the missed collisions on my table make a mockery of the paths the ball is supposed to take.

Nice images on your table Toby. I love the ball.

edited June 2016

@Toby,
    I wanted the same pixelated score font but couldn't find it. Trying to do my own(WIP).
    Just worked out how you did yours. Good thinking, very well done!

Here's some of my reference images.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

So... this? Ongoing casualty of the ensuing chaos? :)