Update 1.24.42 is available

13»

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

It's not dropping FPS using Xcode Instruments for any of you?

Frame drops could cause a stutter or frame spikes (going from low to high) and makes it seem less smooth, even if it's from 40 going to 60.

I think the slowmo was because it wasn't dropping frames at all right?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• skottskott Member Posts: 172

@GeorgeGS said:
    Is this during a scene or right after a scene change? Is there anything particular in your projects that seems to make it worse? We're always working on general improvements, but if there's a specific issue that we don't know about and don't have test projects that will allow us to duplicate it we can't be sure we'll catch it.

I have two projects where it is noticable. I Will gladly sent it to you, so you have something to test with.

Both projects has no scene change only one scene. Stuttering Happen both on iPad and iPhone.

Let me know if you want me to sent it too you.

• skottskott Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2016

I made a test. Even though YouTube is not showing the best framerate it is noticeable half way through the video, thats where it start the stuttering.

The original movie file can be downloaded here to look at (Download to desktop to see it better): https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3hq51uv9029teb/stutter.mp4?dl=0

And the game salad file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95qq6kmy448h377/stuttertest.zip?dl=0

It's important to keep the game running a bit, try press the screen and release a few times. At a random time it will start stuttering.

• quattroquattro Member Posts: 66

@skott said:
    I made a test. Even though YouTube is not showing the best framerate it is noticeable half way through the video, thats where it start the stuttering.

The original movie file can be downloaded here to look at (Download to desktop to see it better): https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3hq51uv9029teb/stutter.mp4?dl=0

And the game salad file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95qq6kmy448h377/stuttertest.zip?dl=0

It's important to keep the game running a bit, try press the screen and release a few times. At a random time it will start stuttering.

I have exactly the same problem.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    edited February 2016

Me too. I though it is my mistake and spent over 50 hours making tons of optimization changes but that stuttering is still persist. It is happening randomly in Creator and also on iOS devices.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Bitvork said:
    Me too. I though it is my mistake and spent over 50 hours making tons of optimization changes but that stuttering is still persist. It is happening randomly in Creator and also on iOS devices.

At least your game is now optimized :D

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Test on my Android device for the first time now (with this version) and is totally unplayable its sooooo slooow :(

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2016

@drizzling said:
    I experience a new problem with this version in displaying text/number from table cell value.

1) When press an actor that has a rule on table cell value being added/subtract, the number displaying the table cell value **sometimes stop altogether as if hang there... (not displaying the actual number of the table cell value). But the rule still works.. except that the text isn't able to display the correct table cell value (a integer in my case). My number display from the **Game attribute integer (Not Table cell value) has no issue and is displaying correctly and able to catch up with the rule in the same scene.

2) Only When change scene or reset the game which has an actor displaying the text showing the same table cell value as refer by the previous scene, the text then now display the correct table cell value. (This shows that nothing is wrong with the rule of changing the table cell value since it is still being calculated in the background though the text doesn't display the changed table cell value in the previous scene.

3) This issue happens randomly and unpredictable ... as when it hangs, it just doesn't display correctly anymore.. Only when reset the game/ change scene, the display of the table cell value then becomes corrected.

Hope Im being clear enough in explaining this issue... I suspect its a hang issue when being referred to the Table cell value... Please look into this. Thanks

It seems like this issue has already been discussed but I wanted to throw my comment in here that I am also having an issue with values and writing to a table. I have scene dedicated to upgrades that spends a resource, and the upgrades will work but the resources wont update until the scene is reset. In the meantime I have added a "reset scene" trigger after every upgrade for it to work consistently.

@68kStudios said:

@drizzling said:
    @68kStudios i have submitted this bug and they found it an issue in 1.24 series and this bug is absent in 1.23 .

They mentioned that the bug seemed to resolve in 1.25 and so hope they will release 1.25 soon! Hang in there!

Maybe the table cell display issue could be just a lag.. as in it couldn't catch up with the performance in the ad hoc devices (Both in android and iOS) .. So if performance of 1.25 is better/faster .. this will resolve by itself

I hope so! Anyway, I don't think that is just a "display" issue.

In my game, I use table values as condition.
    Example: If you have X gold (value saved in a table) and want to buy an item that cost Y, if X>Y you can touch an icon and buy the item. After the first purchase, you don't have enough gold to buy the item, but the amount displayed doesn't change and if you touch again and again the icon you buy other items. When you change the scene and come back to the first scene, you will see that now you have a negative amount of gold and a lot of items! So, I think that the table management overall is quite slow in 1.24.

Exactly the same scenario I just posted.

edited February 2016

edit: Worked with the awesome GS support staff to figure out the latest bug, but still having issues with the TCV not updating until screen reset.

@myke66 said:
    edit: Worked with the awesome GS support staff to figure out the latest bug, but still having issues with the TCV not updating until screen reset.

Also found that TCV issue (unfortunately xD). There are 5 wagons in my subway game. Each wagon displays the number of transported passengers. When I hit PAUSE button and then CHANGE SCENE button (I want to change scene and change all attributes manually) everything seems to be working except Table Cell Value function. When any passenger enter to the vehicle the number of passengers is still "0" (that number is never updated). I see that issue only on android and iOS devices. Can't reproduce in Creator.

edited February 2016

@myke66 @drizzling I have created following thread in Bugzilla.
    Add your comments if you want... Could be useful for @BlackCloakGS
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1602

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@Bitvork said:

I recommend you recreate the issue in a demo project and add that. Really helps speed up the addressing of bugs since they don't have play a guessing game trying to recreate the issue.

Anybody else have problem with slomo when test on device with this build

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@freneticz said:

I have not experienced any slowmo issues with this build anymore. You sure you have the latest version of GS? There is some weird stuttering / frame skipping going on though.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@Armelline said:

@Bitvork said:

I recommend you recreate the issue in a demo project and add that. Really helps speed up the addressing of bugs since they don't have play a guessing game trying to recreate the issue.

Thanks for that info @Armelline. OK, I have attached APK and gameproj right now. It is reproducible.

@NipaGames said:

@freneticz said:

I have not experienced any slowmo issues with this build anymore. You sure you have the latest version of GS? There is some weird stuttering / frame skipping going on though.

Hmm i tested 1.24.40 same mega slowmo on device then i test 1.24.41 still same, can something got wrong here....how do i uninstall GS completely on my MAC ( yep, dont usually a mac user)

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

@freneticz Hi freneticz! Try dragging the GS creator app from your applications folder to the trash bin and then empty trash. Hope that helps! :smile:

@33miles Thanks, better in preview but still extreme slow when generate and install on device (GS on MAC & Android phone) this is the first time ever i got this problem

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

I'll add my two cents. I made a separate post yesterday about issues with the music volume, specifically, it won't play on my device at the specified value under 1.0, but it will interpolate to 0. It does work on the MacBook Pro, not on the iPhone or iPad. If someone in the GS staff wants to look at my file, drop me a line. I'll test again today to see if it's something in my code.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@mhedges said:
    I'll add my two cents. I made a separate post yesterday about issues with the music volume, specifically, it won't play on my device at the specified value under 1.0, but it will interpolate to 0. It does work on the MacBook Pro, not on the iPhone or iPad. If someone in the GS staff wants to look at my file, drop me a line. I'll test again today to see if it's something in my code.

The staff are far more likely to look at a bug report. If you're sure it's not an error in your logic, posting here does little good. http://bugs.gamesalad.com

Any known slowmo triggers in this build, i got a pretty large scene 18000px wide & a scrolling background with tile & also a tiled actor that is size of 18000(tiled)

• msx88msx88 Member, PRO Posts: 27

Hello. This latest release seems to bring more of the "stuttering" problem during game play than ever before. My game is very simple with only a few actors in each scene and has very basic functions. I've noticed some slight "stuttering" issues in previous GS releases but in the latest update it seems much more prevalent that it's affecting game play. For example, when I move my character up and down the screen, it randomly and frequently starts stuttering. I test on an iPhone 6 Plus.

I think someone mentioned in one of the previous posts and I totally agree, that we can't release games with this kind of performance. I hope this can get resolved soon. Thanks.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

Yeah it's kinda bad, I've dissected scenes thinking I would fix the issue and no luck with the stuttering and I'm also getting flickering on some scenes. Tried changing the layers and also recreating the scene and still no luck.