Sneak Peek at Creator version 1.25 (Video)

The staff at Gamesalad have given me the green light to show and explain the features you have to look forward to in version 1.25. This is one of the most feature packed builds Gamesalad has done in a long time. See it in action and get a peek at all the many new features. Enjoy!

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited February 2016

Perfect timing , im glad you did this thanks! Can Sleep, Chartboost rewards , custom fonts , better collisions , Group run once , you just made my day i cant wait for it

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Holy moly! Thanks for sharing this. Looks really promising!

BTW. Nice pinball game :)

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited February 2016

Holy cow! So many fantastic new features - more stuff at once than what we've seen over the last few years! I hope this is foretaste of what's to come. There are still a lot of missing features (render options for pixel art, a good particle system, google play, etc.) but it feels like we're getting there. :)

Thanks for the video Dave! Highly motivating stuff!

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

Great - looking forward to the release!

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Good move getting this public @Lost_Oasis_Games !

Yes, this build is awesome and will put GS in a good place regarding features.

Fast loops is my favorite!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks like some great improvements ! Thanks for the video.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited February 2016

Glad to hear the GS team gave you permission to show the community some of the new features in 1.25! This build is going to be super solid and while I've been having tons of fun playing with all of these new features, my favorite so far is the BOLD INDICATOR when the otherwise section in rules are active! I've been waiting sooooo long for that!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Looks great. The storage of the frame number in animations seems really powerful.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Excited to get my hands on this build. Thanks for the preview~!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

Only pro get beta key???????

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I have a question. Can you use the loop/frame with a value of let's say .5? Or just natural numbers. Would be cool to iterate every other frame in some cases.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Great that GameSalad is becoming more powerful. Some of these changes can help make our apps run much faster and look so much more professional. Having said that I urge you not to ignore the relatively simple things that can destroy users first impressions of an app like the issues with loading screen images stretching etc...
    Overall I'm really impressed with the direction GameSalad is going, keep up the great work! ;)

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74

Great looking features! Definitely can see a lot of use out of them. Have they address the table cell value and attributes not updating in this build?

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

Wow this is going to be a great build. I'll patiently wait!! Thanks for the video man!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

This is really valuable and it furthers GameSalad, Inc.'s mission of open communication. Thanks for putting the time into this and for suggesting it.

Run Once / Run Sequentially seems quite useful. Will Run Sequentially prevent the next behavior from running after a Loop behavior until the loop has completed? That would be so helpful. Also great to be able to adjust the loop speed (max loops/frame); what limits have you discovered?

Custom fonts... woo!

P.S. Love the pinball graphics! I'm having my students build actual pinball machines out of wood and other materials and I may show them yours as an example. :)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2016

@myke66 said:
    Great looking features! Definitely can see a lot of use out of them. Have they address the table cell value and attributes not updating in this build?

I don't use the Windows version so I can't say for sure. This isn't an issue in the Mac version. Remember the team is small and they can only fix so much at once.

@strag said:
    Great that GameSalad is becoming more powerful. Some of these changes can help make our apps run much faster and look so much more professional. Having said that I urge you not to ignore the relatively simple things that can destroy users first impressions of an app like the issues with loading screen images stretching etc...
    Overall I'm really impressed with the direction GameSalad is going, keep up the great work! ;)

To imply they don't care or are neglecting things isn't true nor is it fair. They were kind enough to break their long standing protocol of not showing info about beta software so please be kind and appreciative.

@tatiang said:
    This is really valuable and it furthers GameSalad, Inc.'s mission of open communication. Thanks for putting the time into this and for suggesting it.

Run Once / Run Sequentially seems quite useful. Will Run Sequentially prevent the next behavior from running after a Loop behavior until the loop has completed? That would be so helpful. Also great to be able to adjust the loop speed (max loops/frame); what limits have you discovered?

Custom fonts... woo!

P.S. Love the pinball graphics! I'm having my students build actual pinball machines out of wood and other materials and I may show them yours as an example. :)

Not sure about that. I think @Hopscotch did a bunch of testing with it and reported his findings. Now that I've tagged him he will reply what he found. You can adjust how many times per loop by changing that number.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

@onelasttime said:

+1

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2016

Very nice features:

video rewards, we can finally give them an option instead of an interruption
    run once for groups used in rules! NICE! No need for that extra boolean anymore.
    Also the animation state information is useful. To be sure to play the next behaviour only when frame x is reached instead using timers.

• Thanks @Lost_Oasis_Games , I have myself this beta but didn't try these features as I am busy on my projects as I will experiment on new projects, but really good to see lots of features.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@Lost_Oasis_Games ...cheers for the video, there's some interesting new bits and bobs in the upcoming build... I might finally upgrade from 1.23 :)
    I think the Otherwise rule indicator that @Braydon_SFX mentioned is probably the most immediately useful one, but pretty much most of the others offer lots of potential for tinkering with and improving the way games work. So looks like its going to be a great update.

I'll be able to properly play with the physics stuff and collision shapes too... As I haven't updated to a version that included the new collision stuff, as there were too many reports of issues, that I couldn't risk updating and causing issues with the projects I currently have in development. So with 1.25 I should hopefully have some fun catching up... :)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Really hope that 1.25 will be fast and stable, i miss my favorite build 13.30

edited February 2016

@BigDave said:
    Very nice features:

run once for groups used in rules! NICE! No need for that extra boolean anymore.
    Also the animation state information is useful. To be sure to play the next behaviour only when frame x is reached instead using timers.

I was a little confused by this feature as we already have this abilty, we've always been able to say (for example): when image is/contains "frame x” do action - without the need for timers.

Same deal with the 'run once' feature, if you have - for example - a bunch of change attributes they are only going to run once anyway, and if you have a bunch of constrains then they need to be always running.

Maybe I misunderstand how this stuff works, probably need to play around with it to get my head around it.

I just want to say, I just did the videos and asked the staff for permission. The real thanks goes to the GS staff. They are the ones doing all the hard work. I enjoy using creator. It allows me to pursue my creative ideas without having to put in years of learning a programing language and allows me to focus mostly on my creativity. I enjoy this great community of people. Keep dreaming, making games and working hard.

@Socks said:

@BigDave said:
    Very nice features:

I was a little confused by this feature as we already have this abilty, we've always been able to say (for example): when image is/contains "frame x” do action - without the need for timers.

Same deal with the 'run once' feature, if you have - for example - a bunch of change attributes they are only going to run once anyway, and if you have a bunch of constrains then they need to be always running.

Maybe I misunderstand how this stuff works, probably need to play around with it to get my head around it.

It's all conditional. One as when I showed it being embeded in a rule it eliminated the need for a self lockout attribute. As to the animation frame you now don't need the rule and associated code. Many of these new features allow you to slim the code. Less is more :)

edited February 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    It's all conditional. One as when I showed it being embeded in a rule it eliminated the need for a self lockout attribute.

I still don't quite understand how (or when / why) you'd use it - like I say I'm probably misunderstanding its use, probably need to play around with it to understand.

@Socks

Having the frame number on the Animate behavior is so good for long animation sequences. No longer do you need to import separate images which are graphically identical, just to trigger a sound on an image name. You can now tie it to a frame number.

@tatiang said:
    Run Once / Run Sequentially seems quite useful. Will Run Sequentially prevent the next behavior from running after a Loop behavior until the loop has completed? That would be so helpful.

Yes, it is intended to work like that and does. There were a couple of bugs which are probably being straightened out.

Also great to be able to adjust the loop speed (max loops/frame); what limits have you discovered?

The limit is dependent on your project and the amount of code you process within the loop. E.g. doing a large table sort and setting max loops to 1000 will freeze your game for a split second. Setting it to 50 will make the sort run 50 times faster and not have any impact on performance.

This is GS giving us power and control over our code.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Lost_Oasis_Games Thank you for posting this thread and making the video. Thanks to the GS Team for allowing you to do so.

I started a thread asking that others post details of the best last version of Creator that they used so we could share the info and update any games as fast as possible. It was taken down twice... and for the first time I got slapped with two Spam flags!

I thought the end was nigh. :fearful:

I didn't even bother looking at the forum yesterday... and I have never missed a day. That's how dejected I was.

I had packed my bags and was about to depart. :'(

This news gives us all something promising to look forward to with renewed hope :)