State of GameSalad 8-25-2016

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I wouldn't expect many major features. The focus has been on bugs and performance and the work is sporadic. Gamesalad is what it is right now, a functional game building tool with decent performance. They have a long way to go building the company backup. Buckle your seatbelts this will take a while.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@ForumNinja

Another hopefully quick fix...

Have the GameSalad Viewer app remember the last display setting chosen i.e. Stretch, Overscan, and Letterbox. It gets tiring changing the setting each time in the viewer before pressing the "Preview on iPhone" button in GameSalad Creator, because if you don't the app is shown with the default "Stretch"

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@KevinCross That may be a quick fix. I'll add it to the list and see what the devs think.

@Socks I'll add the 150% zoom as well.

A lot of the other requests definitely aren't quick ;)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
    edited August 2016

@ForumNinja Would love to see the project images fixed. (The image you drop into the square box on the Project Info tab.) Maybe that's something quick?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@ForumNinja said:

@Socks I'll add the 150% zoom as well.

Fantastic ! Cheers :)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
  • ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

Not sure if this is or is not a quick fix.

Please include any indicator to show if the actor contains code. Actors selected from the Scene would show if they had their own code or following the Prototype.

Indicator can be text, a graphic or anything.

This would be handy for my own updates, looking at other user's projects and student creations.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@ForumNinja would it be a quick fix to fix the android screen size detection?

bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=384

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    @ForumNinja would it be a quick fix to fix the android screen size detection?

bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=384

While I'd love to see this fixed, it's actually not a big problem at all. You don't need a constrain or a loop, you can use just a simple rule.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@ForumNinja,

Another hopefully quick fix I've mentioned in the past (although this might be what you mean by GameSalad remembering what you were doing when navigating between screens) and that is remember which layers have been expanded and closed. At the moment every time you click on the layers tab they're all closed.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

1: Color folders for multiple actors
    2: Color picker for rules
    3: An outline+color for fonts built-in the display behavior. (even as "simple" as copying the font bigger and placing it behind to main font with a size option for thickness.

4: Unbroken Viewer

@ForumNinja "Work has been going on creating a new GameSalad curriculum"
    Maybe a updated cookbook would would be in line with a curriculum and serve us all well
    The cookbook should be built-in the creator.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@blob said:

@ForumNinja "Work has been going on creating a new GameSalad curriculum"
    Maybe a updated cookbook would would be in line with a curriculum and serve us all well
    The cookbook should be built-in the creator.

Considering so many changes have taken place recently, and more are to come, it's imperative that the Cookbook be continuously updated to satisfy newcomers, teachers, students, developers, hobbyists... in fact anybody looking for guidance or answers.

It may also help reduce the number of repetitive questions asked in the Forum.

Would be nice if we could remove the permissions the app dont need

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@freneticz said:
    Would be nice if we could remove the permissions the app dont need

Yes, Android users are sensitive about that.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

@ForumNinja
    I dont know if be possible and if qualify as quick. But would be great if we can spawn objects who name is store in a variable, something like SPAWN(var_obj_name) or from a table cell, like SPAWN(Table(name,x,y).
    Same thing respect a PLAY SOUND or PLAY MUSIC.
    Thanks
    Roque

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207

Export image to camera!! stretch goal export image to twitter/facebook etc.
    masking of image! crucial for animation of any sort.

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member, PRO Posts: 142

I would love to be able to play sound from an expression. This would be valuable in developing language and phonics games that incorporate many pictures and sounds that are associated with those pictures.

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387
    edited September 2016

@Jeffm2 said:
    I would love to be able to play sound from an expression. This would be valuable in developing language and phonics games that incorporate many pictures and sounds that are associated with those pictures.

I believe you can do this already unless I'm mistaken of what you're asking for.
    When "picture" is "expression", "Play Sound"

Oh are you saying play it IN the expression editor, not in the game..?

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member, PRO Posts: 142
    edited September 2016

@NNterprises said:I believe you can do this already unless I'm mistaken of what you're asking for.
    When "picture" is "expression", "Play Sound"

Oh are you saying play it IN the expression editor, not in the game..?

Well, what i mean is if you were to have an actor pull all of its values from a table based on a file name IE title, image you would also want to include sound.

For example I am creating a word game in which the user clicks on a picture of lets say a car. The use then sees the word CAR and also hears the word car. The image and the word CAR are easy to do dynamically from the table as long as the word and image name are the same. If you could also use the expression editor to associate that sound CAR based on the file name of the sound, you could have the actor pull its "attributes" (word, picture, and sound) from the table. This would streamline games like this.

In otherwords, right now you can change self image to (table name, col1, row1.png) but you can't say when touch is pressed play sound (table name, col1, row1.mp3)

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

@Jeffm2 said:
    In otherwords, right now you can change self image to (table name, col1, row1.png) but you can't say when touch is pressed play sound (table name, col1, row1.mp3)

Ohhh ohh I see, I see yea. True.

Everyone wanting to spawn actors and play sounds using expressions, be sure to vote on these two feature requests!

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=205
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=259

@Armelline
    Why spawn from expression say "unconfirmed" and sound say "confirmed"?

@ForumNinja @Armelline
    Spawn object using expressions, would have another effect, the scenes could load much much faster, please read what I have raised here, nobody confirms me that:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92973/fast-scene-change-no-preload-spawn-objects#latest

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Sounds great! Some nice tweaks and additions there. :)

@CasualEvolution said:
    @Armelline
    Why spawn from expression say "unconfirmed" and sound say "confirmed"?

No idea, but it doesn't matter if they're confirmed or not.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Allow jpg images as well as png's. Much smaller files for certain situations..

@ForumNinja
    Another quick fix for Viewer can be if in "Recent Games" we have the option to delete one game, the only option now is clear all list. Thanks

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@CasualEvolution said:
    @ForumNinja
    Another quick fix for Viewer can be if in "Recent Games" we have the option to delete one game, the only option now is clear all list. Thanks

In addition to this there really should be a confirmation box ("do you really want to delete these files / OK / Cancel") I've been caught out by this more than once, I was doing a TV ad, where a bunch of GS projects were to be shot being used, I passed the iPad to the director, his thumb hit the 'clear list' text . . . . and all my work was gone !

This has happened more than once, especially when showing work to others, to non-GS folk (and children !) it's so easy to unintentionally touch the 'clear list' text - and with no warning or chance to cancel - everything is deleted.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Folders for images and sounds in the editor