State of GameSalad 8-25-2016

1235»

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@strag said:

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    As was expressly stated by the GS team that compressing your images is useless and can infact, due to the decompression that needs to happen, can slow down scene loading. The only benefit to image compression is for package size. This is less of an issue now that cell carriers allow for up to 100mb installs over cell networks

The issue of package size is a major issue, especially on Android where lots of people accross the world have cheaper phones with limited storage. It can have a very real impact on downloads. I had an app with lots of full resolution background art. I reduced the package size by around 75% by compressing with TinyPNG. This had a very real impact on downloads. I tested on many devices and have found absolutely no detrimental effect for doing this in terms of app performance or stability.

It has proven to have much lesser of an effect on iOS as I think larger storage is the norm.

By the way, without compression or the ability to use GIFs or JPEGs it is very easy to go over the Google Play 100MB limit. Especially if you are creating an interactive book type app with full res background art.

Did you even bother to read my comment? Didn't I say the reason to compress was for package size? You bothered to type a long explanation pointing out something I agreed with in a simple statement. You're whole reply was pointless as I already stated I agree. This I why I rarely bother to post around here anymore. The constant blathering is endless.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Did you even bother to read my comment? Didn't I say the reason to compress was for package size? You bothered to type a long explanation pointing out something I agreed with in a simple statement. You're whole reply was pointless as I already stated I agree. This I why I rarely bother to post around here anymore. The constant blathering is endless.

Sorry mate, and please retain your hair, I didn't mean to be so abrupt!

Yes you did say that the reason to compress was package size. You also mentioned that package size is less of an issue now that carriers allow for 100mb installs.

I'm simply saying that I believe package size is an issue, regardless of what carriers allow, simply because of it's direct relationship to downloads.

Sorry if my comment sounded belligerent ;)

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Haha...just perfect! :D

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@The_Gamesalad_Guru Now I know where Jimi got the idea. :grin:

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@ForumNinja - can we have the builds updated with the latest Chartboost SDK please. The latest Chartboost SDK adds full iOS 10 compatibility (and also gives us a 20% bonus period).

It seems important to me that GS keeps up to date with changes like this if it intends to keep supporting developers as well as educators.

Here's a link:
    https://www.chartboost.com/blog/2016/09/chartboost-sdk-6-5-ios-10-compatibility-20-percent-bonus-video-revenue

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Is it possible to make custom collisions work with Html5? Or are they working and I am simply doing it wrong?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@Two.E, I'm pretty sure the custom collision shapes don't currently work in HTML5.

edited September 2016

@DigiChain said:
    @ForumNinja - can we have the builds updated with the latest Chartboost SDK please. The latest Chartboost SDK adds full iOS 10 compatibility (and also gives us a 20% bonus period).

It seems important to me that GS keeps up to date with changes like this if it intends to keep supporting developers as well as educators.

Here's a link:
    https://www.chartboost.com/blog/2016/09/chartboost-sdk-6-5-ios-10-compatibility-20-percent-bonus-video-revenue

Just to pickup from this - I'm noticing a big difference in install numbers reported in my chartboost dashboard with numbers reported in my iTunes account for my latest game release.

I'm not sure if this is anyway related to iOS10 and the old Chartboost SDK we have - but nonetheless it would be good to know that the new Chartboost SDK is coming soon... @ForumNinja ?

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@DigiChain We're looking into updating the Chartboost SDK for you guys currently.

@ForumNinja - thanks, great news!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@ForumNinja - Don't know if this got mentioned in the "quick things" you asked for, but font sizes greater than 100 would be awesome!

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

+1 for bigger fonts

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Armelline said:
    @ForumNinja - Don't know if this got mentioned in the "quick things" you asked for, but font sizes greater than 100 would be awesome!

@viking said:
    +1 for bigger fonts

I'm sure you both know this already, but for those who don't, you can very easily display fonts sizes bigger than 100 by simply changing the font size value in the actor's XML file.

• Wonder MaruWonder Maru Member, PRO Posts: 98

@Socks said:

@Armelline said:

@viking said:
    +1 for bigger fonts

I'm sure you both know this already, but for those who don't, you can very easily display fonts sizes bigger than 100 by simply changing the font size value in the actor's XML file.

sorry, I don't get this and I also need to have fonts bigger than 100. Are you talking about html5 games? What's an actor's XML file?

Wonder Maru: casual games for casual people. www.wondermaru.com

@Wonder Maru said:
    sorry, I don't get this and I also need to have fonts bigger than 100. Are you talking about html5 games? What's an actor's XML file?

If you're on Mac, right click on the project file and choose "Show package contents". Go into the actors folder and there's a bunch of XML files. They're not named very helpfully, but find the one that corresponds to the actor with the Display Text in it. Search for "font" and you'll find something like this:

Trebuchet MS100...

Change the size (100) to a higher value and it'll be that size in the Display text. If you're got multiple Display Texts in the actor you'll need to look at more than what I've quoted above to find the right one.

If you try to change the increased font size in the Display Text, it will revert back to 100 and you'll have to edit the XML file again.

Credit to @Socks, I learned this trick from him many moons ago.

edited September 2016

@Armelline said:
    Search for "font" and you'll find something like this:

<text id="font">Trebuchet MS</text><real id="size">100</real>...

(your code, above, got lost in translation)

When in GameSalad I make the font size something easy to search for, like 33 or 99, then command+F (find) within the XML to locate the '99'.

@Wonder Maru said:

The movie to @Armelline's screenplay . . . (QT attached)

@Socks said:
    (your code, above, got lost in translation)

Well spotted! You're paying more attention than me, clearly :D

When in GameSalad I make the font size something easy to search for, like 33 or 99, then command+F (find) within the XML to locate the '99'.

Excellent tip! Definitely doing that from now on!

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@ForumNinja any idea when the new update will be rolled out? I understand ya'll were looking at quick fixes rather than an overhaul. So any news on development plans?

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@fmakawa CodeWizard has been out of town in China this past week (so the development process has been slow).

He just got back late last night, so hopefully we can get this last set of blockers fixed fairly quickly and have the build out to you guys soon barring no other crazy issues pop up :)

@CodeWizard has been out of town in "China" this past week . . .

Is "China" a euphemism for 'jail' ? :# ;) :p

@Socks said:
    @CodeWizard has been out of town in "China" this past week . . .

Is "China" a euphemism for 'jail' ? :# ;) :p

Town, country, Texas is so big they're practically synonyms :smirk:

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited October 2016

@ForumNinja said:
    @fmakawa CodeWizard has been out of town in China this past week (so the development process has been slow).

He just got back late last night, so hopefully we can get this last set of blockers fixed fairly quickly and have the build out to you guys soon barring no other crazy issues pop up :)

This Bus factor of 1 is so scary to me.......and we are slowly going towards a 1 """quick fix"""" a year update schedule.
    At least if the education push was being pushed, I would feel somewhat relieved that GS is getting back on its feet.
    However, September has gone, GS didn't deliver anything new for education neither.
    Apple and other players are locking in the "everyone can code" market in their own ways, a little bit more everyday etc.
    If feels as though, we are just waiting for the next bug to delay the slowest "quick fix" of all time.
    (broken viewer, impossible loading time, no googleplay and a completely outdated Cookbook etc.

(The fact that you guys at GS want to corner the education market but can not find the time or resources to even update the cookbook is so revealing to me, this is, at best, extreme mismanagement)

I still love GS but i wish i could buy it and give it the development money, the passion, the heart and focus it deserves.

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285

@blob said:

@ForumNinja said:

Hopefully... soon... Those words are annoying me for quit some time now.
    Weeks even months go by without any real news, fixes or updates.

I don't even dare to think about updates with Google Play, faster loading times etc. but even small issues like the iPhone6+ and Android screenshot bugs or that stupid loading wheel are not addressed right away, quick fixes need to fixed quickly.

I'm paying for a monthly PRO membership, you would think this includes customer support but when there are problems GS is not answering.

And i'm talking about problems that can't be fixed on my side, and after I've been talking with some awesome forum members who are essentially doing GameSalads job for free.

Even when you get an answer from GS it's always "we'll look into that, hopefully..." and you are back to the waiting game.

Just makes me a bit mad.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

& here we are again.. Any official news @ForumNinja ?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568
    edited October 2016

Chartboost:
    The video bonus program is back and now live until the end of the year! Your video publishing campaigns will earn you 20% more, but first you’ll need to upgrade to SDK 6.5+.

If you are an indie developer, you want to take advantage of it as soon as possible.

Any news? @ForumNinja

edit: thanks @UncloudedStudio

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285

@unbeatenpixel

@ForumNinja said:
    @DigiChain We're looking into updating the Chartboost SDK for you guys currently.