GameSalad

How to become rich and famous?

BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127

As the title says.

«1

Comments

  • Two.ETwo.E Posts: 218

    Over promising a game and lying about multiplayer features in a world where there are Billions of different planets.

    Also committing crimes has a high success rate with fame.

    Best of luck,

  • -Timo--Timo- Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2016
  • freneticzfreneticz SwedenPosts: 554
    edited August 2016

    But you for sure is rich @BigDave , you live on app making? so just tell us :)

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited August 2016

    @-Timo-
    "Get Kidnapped

    You may have to live with some creepy religious folk in their bomb shelter for a few years, but if you’re ever found, you will be a star!"

    i can imagine this one. I could also need some holidays.

    If i do

    "Make A Sex Tape

    This is a foolproof method to getting some attention, even if it means you’re a hoe. All the greats have done it, from Kim K to Paris Hilton.
    "

    no one will care i think
    I'm too average.

    "Marry A Really Old Rich Man

    Everyone loves a horny gold digger.

    Have Sex With Tiger Woods

    If you don’t talk about it on camera, you can write a book about it."

    Both of these two option I rather skip.

    "Have Rich Parents

    The most foolproof plan of them all – just go out and embarrass the family name as much as possible."

    That could be the case I mean switzerland! But maybe not..

    "Get Shot 9 Times

    You will be the most famous person in Africa.
    "

    Africa is pretty big the ad revenue could still be worth the shot(s)

    Yeah funny read...
    :)

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited August 2016

    @freneticz
    if you mean rich in my heart because I can build what I want (with the pressure to better have success with it to keep doing it), meanwhile eating ramen to reduce the development costs.

    Yeah then i am already rich

  • ApprowApprow Posts: 703
    edited August 2016

    @BigDave Move away from the mobile industrie, at least for a while, and develop someting for steam (PC & MAC),or even better; PS4 and XBOX ONE. There are simply too many developers trying to be unique in the mobile industrie, so chances that you will get discovered, go viral, and become rich and famous are very very low.

    I discovered that developing games for real game consoles with a big screen or monitor is a lot more fun then creating it for a tiny device. But maybe that is because I love platformers and hate touch controls :) Also PC's and gaming consoles are a lot more powerfull then mobile devices, so you're less limited with well... pretty much everything...

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited August 2016

    @Approw

    yeah i would love too but not with gamesald right.
    The thing about console games that you have local multiplayer and I still find theres a real lake of immersive coop games to play with your buddy

    But all i know is gamesalad so I am limited to what gamesalad offers

    Fire tv amazon stuff I see as niche not sure if you can even go big there.
    Steam through html5 hm maybe but I met couple of issues working different on the final html5 build vs editor

  • ClockClock Posts: 308
    edited August 2016

    @BigDave Gamesalad only can create small games. I was trying to make a big stage with animations in the background. Guess what, it took about 10-12 sec to load. I am not suggest you to leave gamesalad, but learning other engine is also a backup plan.

    Or maybe you need a team.

  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Posts: 5,276

    @Approw said:
    I discovered that developing games for real game consoles with a big screen or monitor is a lot more fun then creating it for a tiny device. But maybe that is because I love platformers and hate touch controls :) Also PC's and gaming consoles are a lot more powerfull then mobile devices, so you're less limited with well... pretty much everything...

    I feel the same. The game I'm currently working on is specifically created for Fire TV and Mac Desktop. It probably will never show up on a mobile device.

  • zweg25zweg25 Posts: 737

    @BigDave said:
    @Approw

    yeah i would love too but not with gamesald right.

    I don't think that should stop you. There are many programming languages that have massive free learning platforms, like Java or Python. If you are really stuck to mobile development, Swift also. Gamesalad is a good platform for learning because you can see immediate results, but it is not a platform for making lots of money

  • IceboxIcebox Posts: 1,245
    edited August 2016

    @zweg25 said:
    Gamesalad is a good platform for learning because you can see immediate results, but >it is not a platform for making lots of money

    It would be if they have proper html5/ native exe export (steam) , as for the engine now , it is good for making lots of money but depends on luck and the developer. With html5/steam it would make it better , if you think about it there are lots of successful games that could have been done with gamesalad.

  • freneticzfreneticz SwedenPosts: 554
    edited September 2016

    @zweg25 said:

    it is not a platform for making lots of money

    Challenge accepted !!!

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,177
    edited September 2016

    Better to become rich and famous first, then blow your fortune on making mobile apps with GameSalad... like me. :D

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2016

    @zweg25 said:

    "but it is not a platform for making lots of money"

    I would not exclude that a flappy bird would be 1:1 possible. Ofc not anymore but just the simplicity level.

    Also @Clock
    bigger games are possible orcs goes pretty wield with amount of scenes and objects in it and still works fine. Just dont do certain performance sins.

    So far it made enough money to live full time doing the inide game life. I mainly think its a lack of third party sdk support / plugins that prevents big success and cooperations with big publishers.

    But regarding multiplayer gamesalad is really a dead end.
    And i personaly dont play single player only games.
    Either PvP or Co-op.
    Working on this single player experience I always do it with a broken heart.
    And this must reflect in them somehow.

    What happend with the play heaven support?
    I mean atleast turnbased games would be a first step.
    Or Windows desktop export would be epic.

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2016

    btw this threat shouldn't turn again in a complain about game salad one.

    I believe that you can get rich with something build in game salad.
    If any of my current apps would get featured again I would be pretty wealthy because the perform monetise top with only 300 daily downloads on iOS daily all games together, 3000 Downloads on android daily.

    I sell a good chunk of in-apps and the adrevenue is also a solid stream of income.
    Back than when apple featured three points and I got around 350000 installs in a week I horrible wasted those downloads. If it would happen again the money would be really nice. As I learned to properly monetise also with a low(er) amount of players.

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127

    im just sick of not being rich yet

  • mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Posts: 614

    Look into what your most prolific apps are. In my case, it's Gumball Catch, which is about as simple as breathing. I'd like to do more complex stuff, but the previouly mentioned fact makes me think about continuing to do casual things.

  • freneticzfreneticz SwedenPosts: 554

    @mhedges said:
    Look into what your most prolific apps are. In my case, it's Gumball Catch, which is about as simple as breathing. I'd like to do more complex stuff, but the previouly mentioned fact makes me think about continuing to do casual things.

    same here , have start on a "simple" Project now ..... and i have 3 or so more i Think of
    and i will try a Publisher for them this time.

  • @BigDave said:

    What happend with the play heaven support?
    I mean atleast turnbased games would be a first step.
    Or Windows desktop export would be epic.

    For sure, windows support would open a huge new market for GS games.

    I think it's still difficult to make it big regardless of platform though. Just have to get a mix of good luck and have a very polished game (small or big).

  • >

    I think it's still difficult to make it big regardless of platform though. Just have to get a mix of good luck and have a very polished game (small or big).

    I kind of think of it as there are a lot of indie people who write good songs, books, and movies but never get discovered unless they are lucky, have billions of dollars for advertising, or are owned by a distributor/producer. It's pretty much the same for gamedevs. Only the lucky ones make it unless they have an in somewhere.

  • DuesDues Posts: 1,159

    I think about this every day :yum:

  • ellisonellison Lancaster, PAPosts: 129

    @Icebox said:
    You create quality games like flappy bird

    flappy bird? quality? :D (i apologize in advance if you were being sarcastic)

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2016

    -

    i think he was beeing sarcastic.

    But i personaly think flappy bird and his other games had quality
    they were just so dead simple.

    the clones gave it the crappy tone if you think about it now

  • IceboxIcebox Posts: 1,245

    @ellison said:
    flappy bird? quality? :D (i apologize in advance if you were being sarcastic)

    Flappy bird is one of the best games in history of mobile gaming (if not the best) o:)

  • ellisonellison Lancaster, PAPosts: 129
    edited September 2016

    @BigDave said:
    btw this threat shouldn't turn again in a complain about game salad one.

    I believe that you can get rich with something build in game salad.
    If any of my current apps would get featured again I would be pretty wealthy because the perform monetise top with only 300 daily downloads on iOS daily all games together, 3000 Downloads on android daily.

    I sell a good chunk of in-apps and the adrevenue is also a solid stream of income.
    Back than when apple featured three points and I got around 350000 installs in a week I horrible wasted those downloads. If it would happen again the money would be really nice. As I learned to properly monetise also with a low(er) amount of players.

    i think he was beeing sarcastic.

    But i personaly think flappy bird and his other games had quality
    but were dead simple.

    the clones gave it the crappy tone if you think about it now

    i agree the simplicity was great but I never thought much of the game because ...

    a) the game mechanics had been around since at least the 80's and I figured hey everybody must know this is a rip off and

    b) the graphics had been around since the 80's (nintendo) and I figured hey everybody must know these are a rip off ...

    Anyway, back on topic ...

    Boring answer here, but I think all anyone can do is keep making games and driving forward and hope a good game, marketing strategy, monetizing strategy, and luck all combine at once. In the meantime could you make any extra money selling tutorials, templates, etc, to help supplement? For example, if you have a proven monetizing formula that works people might be interested. I'm still a beginner so I know I'd pay to learn about it.

  • BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2016

    use admob banners with chartboost intertial videos at the right moments
    have an in-app to remove all ads + 1 further benefit best pack all into the metaphor of an object. Like buying the golden ticket. Have more permanent stuff they can buy at different price levels curiosity always creates a sale here and there.

    gg wp works best.
    (always varieng a bit based on the type of your game)

    about your point a)
    yeah i always wodner this but it doesnt really have to be something new because a big junk of the audience might never seen the retro stuff.

    I think it was here as I read once how to make and endless runner but not endless instead with buttons to decide where to move.

    He was basically describing an old scholl platformer but for this person that was the "new thing" which will be replacing endless runners
    yes time already moved that far ahead

  • ellisonellison Lancaster, PAPosts: 129

    @BigDave said:
    about your point a)
    yeah i always wodner this but it doesnt really have to be something new because a big junk of the audience might never seen the retro stuff.

    I think it was here as I read once how to make and endless runner but not endless instead with buttons to decide where to move.

    He was basically describing an old scholl platformer but for this person that was the "new thing" which will be replacing endless runners
    yes time already moved that far ahead

    yes, I can agree with that, good point. i think it will change my attitude a bit toward "remakes" since you can always bring it to a new audience.

    ps - thanks for advice, i will remember that approach.

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,177

    @ellison said:

    yes, I can agree with that, good point. i think it will change my attitude a bit toward "remakes" since you can always bring it to a new audience.

    Sometimes we all forget that what is old to us is brand new to some others.

  • ApprowApprow Posts: 703
    edited September 2016

    @NNterprises said:

    Only the lucky ones make it

    That is not entirely true. Of course there is a bit of luck involved, but that is pretty much the "will it go viral" part.
    If you create something that people will love, then they will write about it, and show it to friends and stuff. If you create something that apple will love, they will feature you (to higher your chances on the iOS appstore, create something that makes their devices look good).
    Nowadays you need a big budget for marketing/advertising indeed, but ONLY if you want to rub it in customers faces, and say: Please download our game, we really need your money.

    There is a lot of competition out there if you're trying to be like these types of developers. That said, if you create a good game you probably still need to go to conventions, contact bloggers/vloggers and stuff to tell the world about your game, but advertising is out of the question if you're trying to be succesfull. I think that the most simple ingredient to be succesfull in game development, is to make something that you love, something you would play with passion. Remember, you are the weird guy that wants to make a game that doesn't exsist.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.