State of GameSalad on 4-18-2017

Comments

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

Having GS on a tablet is going to be fantastic.
    To really encourage casual programming a good range of graphics, animation, and sound should be included.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

I hope GS have gamepad support in mind for html5 games . I also hope at some point they think about adding shaders/filter effects (wave , greyscale , lighting effect etc.. ) not that important to education , but would be great for us developers. Snap to grid .. im sure they will work on it but I didn't read anything about it yet .

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

@viking same engine, though once we get done with this new tool, we can put time back into the engine.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hi @adent42 , really I would appreciate that you could give me some answer regarding this topic :)

@CasualEvolution said:
    Hi @adent42 please will be great if you can see this post, I think that this issue can boost loadin times :
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/593511#Comment_593511

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Proud of you guys - keep up the great work! Nice to see GS alive and kicking. Would love to test the web version when available. Thanks.

• SimonMayersSimonMayers Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017

Thanks for the update information. Thanks for your development efforts, hope that the improvement version will better.

• PigeonGamesPigeonGames Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2017

@adent42 said:

Ideally for tablets, we'd be able to package it as an app so you don't have to deal with browser chrome (url bar, back buttons, etc) when working on a tablet.

Yes! Please!

Our games: Android | iOS | Indiexpo

edited April 2017

Hey @adent42 , @ForumNinja I was wondering if you will add tile sheets while developing the web version? since you have snap to grid in mind would work perfect with it.

• barleyesqbarleyesq Member Posts: 72

Can you tell me if there are any plans to improve ad network integrations? Having worked recently with a publisher looking to cross-promote I've realised that there are some really important limitations for any developers looking to make money with their GS games. You can't, I discovered, have any kind of Ad Mediation (which publishers want) AND Rewarded Videos (which I want) because of the way any interstitials use the same call method (and Chartboost is the only real option for Rewarded video, but doesn't have mediation). This became a big problem for me and is likely to be the difference between me continuing with GS for my next project, or looking elsewhere. I really want to stay with GS, but if I don't have flexibility with Ad Networks, it makes it very difficult to justify. :-/

A native ".exe" exporter will be a great thing to!
    Head a project to steam or other big stores should be so simple with that.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

@barleyesq It's going to be more of a "cross that bridge when we get there" kind of thing. When we get closer, we'll let the community know what we're going to be working on (and probably soliciting some input). Personally I'd like to look at finishing Google Play support, fixing table loading so that it doesn't require loading all table data before the game loads, and then Windows .exe support, but that's just me.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited May 2017

@adent42 said:
    Personally I'd like to look at finishing Google Play support

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

Just a quick question to @adent42 - as you now are going for full at html5, I guess all current horrible bugs with html5 export will be fixed, and open up for more opportunities, like Facebook publishing. If so, will we see Facebook payments integration? It would open up a whole new marked out there....

Any news by the way on progress on the web-version?

@johnnymagne so the main bug we're gonna tackle for this release is font rendering (when I hacked in custom fonts for HTML5, I left the old existing rendering method in place and that doesn't quite work right for some fonts).

Any other HTML5 engine bugs are going to take a bit longer to squash as they're timing/performance/physics bugs that are going to either require some special hacking or just a lot of explaining to understand the differences in the engine.

Also, we're not going full HTML5. The idea is to keep the native engines around, we're just going to transition to HTML5 based tools (easier maintenance for multiple platforms). I think after we finish the first pass of the HTML5 tool, we'll be more focused on the native engine than the HTML5 engine for a short time.

Please make sure your FB feature request (I assume for the HTML5 engine) are in http://bugs.gamesalad.com We're going to do a combination of looking there, looking at internal priorities, and looking at what people are asking for on the forums, before we schedule work on the engine.

As for progress, I've spent the last week finishing up a refactor of the web tool so that it can save to a browser local storage and updating the HTML5 engine so that it can load from that database. By the end of the day, it will be possible to edit a game and preview it all in the browser!

Basically, that means we have all the basic ingredients for a complete tool. Going forward we're going to be skinning the tool (the dark/light themes @ForumNinja mentioned), fixing bugs, and putting in some minor things I skipped while building this second pass (like the ability to add and remove actors, images, and sounds which I skipped because they're relatively well understood parts of the tool). There is also going to be some work communicating things like when the tool is doing some loading and conflict resolution when someone else has updated the same part of the project as you.

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and I'm excited to share the work that we're doing here!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2017

Can't wait, @adent42 !

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112
    edited May 2017

Great update @adent42 - thanks! Will see to get registered the FB request...

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

Sounds like you are making great progress @adent42 ! Can't wait to see it in action :)

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@adent42 that all sounds great. But we would love a fix on loading times and the android loading screen flip bug. Those are crucial.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited May 2017

@fmakawa said:
    @adent42 that all sounds great. But we would love a fix on loading times and the android loading screen flip bug. Those are crucial.

Some Android love would be amazing in general. Loading screen, the camera misalignment after minimizing and reopening an app and of course Google Play Services. A decent amount of GameSalad games are highscore games and right now you can't really get featured with them on Android because - well - you're not using the platform's highscore system (also games feel really amateurish if they fall prey to the mentioned bugs).

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting the web creator and everything @adent42 said so far sounds fantastic and very reasonable. Good times ahead! :)

Amazing. Waiting for the dark theme screenshots and exe exporter update.

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2017

Find answers to my questions. Don't know how to delete my post.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2017

@imGua said:
    Find answers to my questions. Don't know how to delete my post.

I don't think you can delete your posts. Ask a moderator to add - "answers found" if you don't want people wasting their time responding anymore.

But... it is useful to some of us for you to say what the solution to the problem was because it my help someone else and also stop others from asking the same question. People will also find your solution if they do a search. ;)

• GlooferGloofer Member, PRO Posts: 18

When will we see alignment- and distribution tools for actors on the stage, and why not?

When will we see any update :)

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@adent42 @ForumNinja a new update would be good

• articwolf65articwolf65 Member, PRO Posts: 63

will we see expansion pack on game salad

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

What's the latest? @adent42 @ForumNinja

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Your app must support the new SKPaymentTransactionObserver method to make in-app purchases available on the App Store. You can list in-app purchases in any order on your product page to help drive awareness for specific content. If users don’t have your app installed on their device when they make an in-app purchase, they will be prompted to download or purchase the app to complete the transaction.

Will you support this feature with iOS 11? @adent42 @ForumNinja

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

They must be very busy if it takes them this long to reply :) I feel like they wait for us to rant and get frustrated then decide to give us a little update

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Maybe it's just my rant day but a lack of communication doesn't indicate being busy (or not busy)... it just indicates that communication is not a priority.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User