Q2 2019 - Spring has Sprung and Summer Is Coming

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@adent42 said:
    @blob good idea on the sticky, something should go up soon.

Still working on the Mojave issue. There's something about our Expression Editor interface builder file that makes it so it won't compile under the latest Xcode.

I've had to go back to Xcode 7 and slowly make my way up, so I'm still working on the issue.

If you have to rework the expression editor, it wouldn't be the end of the world ;)

(Better copy/pasting that doesn't clear the clipboard after each paste, not requiring both expression editors to be open when copy/pasting, ability to resize to see more attributes listed at once, ability to resize the column to read long attributes would all be amazing little additions!)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Armelline said:

@adent42 said:
    @blob good idea on the sticky, something should go up soon.

Still working on the Mojave issue. There's something about our Expression Editor interface builder file that makes it so it won't compile under the latest Xcode.

I've had to go back to Xcode 7 and slowly make my way up, so I'm still working on the issue.

If you have to rework the expression editor, it wouldn't be the end of the world ;)

(Better copy/pasting that doesn't clear the clipboard after each paste, not requiring both expression editors to be open when copy/pasting, ability to resize to see more attributes listed at once, ability to resize the column to read long attributes would all be amazing little additions!)

I'm sure there is a lot of work involved to get that working on the Mac tool, but man would it be nice! :D

• jhesski@gmail.comjhesski@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 2
    edited June 2019

If you guys need a project that has the performance issue that you can use for testing let me know I can share my files on dropbox. Thank you. I just bought a brand new mac mini so I could start developing again and was very upset to see how it is now impossible to preview the game. I then tested it on my work macbook pro which is the 2019 top of the line mac book pro and it almost works but has severe input delay. Anything I can to do help I'm happy to help.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

@jamie_c said:

@blob said:
    @adent42

Any idea when users on the latest mojave will be able to use GameSalad again?

And why no sticky warning or email to give heads up to paying users who are about to upgrade to the latest mojave? it would have been nice to know that creator is not compatible, just about every other SAS company does this, it's common courtesy.

I'd like to know this as well. I'm almost finished with a game and my subscription expired. Since already updated my Mac I don't want to re-subscribe until I'm actually able to use the product. Hope it's soon. :)

OOH what game are you working on, @jamie_c? Once again, I would like to thank you for your tutorial videos with Gamesalad, that's how I got started! :blush:

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

Just a small note while you wait on some of those features mentioned here you can easily add some of them by using enhance. I am not very fond of the bloat but something is better than nothing.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited June 2019

@adriangomez said:
    you can easily add some of them by using enhance.

integrating Enhance with Gamesalad??
    Hummm... have you actually done it? @adriangomez

edited June 2019

Yes. It works fine. What I have tried and know works:
    Appodeal works fine.
    GameAnalytics works fine.
    Google Firebase alerts.

But I imagine everything else works it is just that I have not tried it. Once I get the app approved, I'll put a beta with the enhance enabled.

Adrian

edited June 2019

I have not built anything with GameSalad in a while but wanted to see the state of things so I used a template that I bought a while ago and built this version of it. In any case, I am really happy with the results. I plan to add online 2 player matches this week.

I used enhance to include Firebase Analytics. You can check it out here and if you want me to try out any other enhance let me know. It is very easy to switch things around:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.cabagomez.chancleta

Firebase picture:

And here is the previous attempt with Game Analytics:

And here is a previous attempt with Appodeal:

edited June 2019

@adent42 Maybe this Enhance integration conversation deserves and should be in a separate thread? (this could get interesting) Thanks

@adriangomez Basic GameAnalytics tracking like retention or session length are straightforward but how do you track a specific game event in GameSalad with GameAnalytics thru Enhance?
    Also do you have any affiliation with Enhance? Thanks

No affiliation to Enhance and no you can't track anything but events that are tracked automatically, but most of these Analytics providers track a lot more than you think automatically. Items like purchases are usually tracked.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@adriangomez said:
    No affiliation to Enhance and no you can't track anything but events that are tracked automatically, but most of these Analytics providers track a lot more than you think automatically. Items like purchases are usually tracked.

What do you need to do in GS for it to work

Never done it for iOS but for Android, you do nothing in GS. Just take the unsigned .apk that gets downloaded from GS. Upload to Enhance select the services you want, provide the keys for those services, click a few buttons and then download the Enhanced package.

• muusimuusi Member, PRO Posts: 111
    edited June 2019

@adriangomez said:

Never done it for iOS but for Android, you do nothing in GS. Just take the unsigned .apk that gets downloaded from GS. Upload to Enhance select the services you want, provide the keys for those services, click a few buttons and then download the Enhanced package.

Thanks for sharing @adriangomez

Wish I had this information last month, would have saved me couple days of work :)

Didn't know about enhance so I made a PHP file that collects the parameters from GS's Network Send Table To URL -behavior and then forwards it to a Python script to send the data to GameAnalytics.

Well anyway fun project and learned something new.

If someone wants to try it here are the example codes to do it on your own.

PHP:
    https://github.com/gamesalad/gstable-php
    https://github.com/gamesalad/gstable-js

Python:
    http://download.gameanalytics.com/examples/REST_v2_example.py

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

Go ahead and start a new thread for the Enhance stuff. It looks really cool. I'm hoping to get first party support for Google Analytics (with an analytic event behavior) sometime after we update the build system.

For now, that looks like an awesome solution for you guys.

As for an update:

I've been out of pocket for the last few weeks as I had to go to ISTE (an education conference) and then took a couple of days for a family wedding.

I did get to make a bit of progress towards fixing the font stuff but it's not too far along yet. Working on the web engine in the airport is a bit easier than working on the native tool since building the web stuff doesn't eat through my battery as fast.

I'm back on things this week and hope to make some more progress on the Mac tool.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2019

@adent42 Great! Hope the conference was fun :D I thought I'd drop a quick list of the main priority "things to do" from my perspective. The music one is minor, I throw it in just in case it's something that can be easily toggled during publishing. These are the main daily gripes I have. I put the critical ones in bold.

Creator:

Mac preview slowness issues with latest Mojave update
    iPhone X preview option

Publishing:

Checkbox to avoid the need to confirm export compliance in App Store Connect with every build
    Ability to toggle if the game turns off the user's music when opened (currently it does)

Published games:

Freeze after receiving a call (happens on iOS, unsure if it happens on Android)
    Android camera issues
    Android 64bit compliance

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

@adent42 Can you fix the constant crashes on Mac please?

My humble wish is to get Google play achievement sign out bug fixed.

I just made 27 new achievements into my game and because of this bug I can't use automatic platform login in the game. When the Google Play login is behind a button it decreases participation in achievement hunt among players considerably.

• Now that Buildbox has sensible pricing and they are about to release a free version, will gamesalad rethink its pricing to save it as a product ? We know things can’t be good as updates are so few and responses are slow. What not price the product at a sensible level to get developers onboard ?

No. No. Free was bad. Those were the dark ages of GameSalad.

• Free web publishing only would be fine. Buy to get features for mobile publishing. I have used gamesalad since 2009 and can’t see how it can remain as a value product given the price and lack of development. It’s one reason I have a number of projects getting converted to other platforms as I can’t justify the price which is a shame.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

Quick update. I've got a game working using 64-bit binaries on Android. There's still testing to be done (like making sure 32-bit still works) and the need to run an encrypted "production" game. But getting to this point has been a long annoying road of compiler flags and I'm hoping knock on wood to finish this up at the end of the week.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

good stuff. cheers for the update, @adent42

edited July 2019

Good on you @adent42 keep up the great work. We're counting on you, as always.

• jhesski@gmail.comjhesski@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 2

@jhesski@gmail.com said:
    If you guys need a project that has the performance issue that you can use for testing let me know I can share my files on dropbox. Thank you. I just bought a brand new mac mini so I could start developing again and was very upset to see how it is now impossible to preview the game. I then tested it on my work MacBook pro which is the 2019 top of the line mac book pro and it almost works but has severe input delay. Anything I can to do help I'm happy to help.

Just wanted to check and see how things are going on the osx GameSalad. I can share my files if you need help to see the issue in action. It is very pronounced on a bigger project or maybe one with a lot of expressions?

An FYI for everyone watching here, I'll be pushing the new RC tonight.

This build will include 64-bit support as well as fixing an issue with Google Play when a user signs out from the Leaderboard or Achievements screen.

The main change for devs to watch out for is to make sure to set your minimum API level to 21 (which is the first API level that allowed for 64-bit builds).

This means your games will require Android 5 or above. We'll do a new full thread for this RC so that we can resolve any bugs you find ASAP.

The only bug we've run into was a publishing process bug and not a bug with the code, so we should be able to promote this build to mainline relatively quickly!

great @adent42 !

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

thanks @adent42

Nice one @adent42. Will come in handy shortly.

@adent42
    Any idea when users on the latest Mojave will be able to use GameSalad again?
    It's been 3 month

@blob said:

@adent42
    Any idea when users on the latest Mojave will be able to use GameSalad again?
    It's been 3 month