Broken Project? GS Unresponsive...

I'm working on a project that works when testing on my iPad pro, but freezes GS when I try testing it on my macBook Has the project been corrupted? How would I check for that? Thanks

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited November 2019

The difference in processors and memory can affect the way a GameSalad project runs due to rule timing. So something as simple as a table reference that used to work might not on a different device. Say you're referencing a table cell and you have an attribute for the row or column. And then another actor is changing the value of that attribute and at some point, it might become zero briefly, well, that might be enough to crash your project.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2019

Are you on Mojave or Catalina? It could be the preview issues GS has under those systems. An update is being worked on and a RC that fixes the preview issues (but has some other issues) is available here.

That said, freezing GS entirely is much more likely to be what @tatiang says.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I've been able to resolve these issues in the past by doing some live debugging statements. I add a display text to an actor and keep concatenating letters to the end of an attribute within my other rules. So when the first rule fires, it will add A to the attribute and when the next rule or section fires, it adds B, etc.

Then you can watch the display text change from A to AB to ABC to ABCD, etc. It may be too fast to watch it change but if your project freezes and displays ABCDE, then you know the problem is between when E fires and when F would have fired.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@Armelline said:
    Are you on Mojave or Catalina? It could be the preview issues GS has under those systems. An update is being worked on and a RC that fixes the preview issues (but has some other issues) is available here.

It seems to work better on the RC, but I'm in 'dark mode' and it's very difficult to see text/buttons/actions/behaviors...

@Armelline said:

I'm on Mojave.

Does it completely freeze GS, the whole app, or just the game preview?

@Armelline said:

It seems to freeze the whole app... If I click the 'back' button several times during preview, it usually takes me back eventually, but sometimes I'll have to force GS to close and reopen it.

@rainwaterstudios said:

@Armelline said:

It seems to freeze the whole app... If I click the 'back' button several times during preview, it usually takes me back eventually, but sometimes I'll have to force GS to close and reopen it.

That behaviour sounds more like there's an infinite loop somewhere in your game. Anywhere that might be spawning an infinite number of actors or something?