Where are the veterans?

VeiraXVeiraX Member Posts: 4

Been few years thought I'd come back see how gs is doing? @tshirtbooth @UtopianGames @BazookaTime @quantumsheep @Socks @DeadlySeriousMedia @tatiang and a bunch of others. Where they all gone?

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,305

We've migrated to PlayMaker and Unity, mostly.

• UltraLionBluUltraLionBlu Member, BASIC Posts: 99

I have read several conversations over the past few years, to see if I can learn more.

I must say that I have learned to love Socks, I think he was a little genius, always a solution, but above all always the funniest answers, too bad there is no more!

• VeiraXVeiraX Member Posts: 4

Dead

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 969

Someone changed business anothers changed engine.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,944

I've been using Thunkable. It's very similar to GameSalad but the data integration is included instead of a total guessing game. GameSalad has Thunkable beat by a few hundred miles when it comes to layout and sprite physics, though. My heart's still here but I've been let down too many times so I've kinda moved on.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,048
    edited September 16

I’m still here! Just not quite as active! Full time I’m now a full stack developer with specialization on front end, and still develop iOS apps in SwiftUI.

I still have a few GS games in the works, but I only put a few hours in here and there when I’m not working or spending time with the wife.

Hope things are well with you!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,305

@tatiang said:

I've been let down too many times so I've kinda moved on.

Yeah, same here. This will be no surprise to anyone who has been using GS for a while, but progress on it is glacially slow, often even fixes to game breaking bugs.

Personally I've moved over to Unity and haven't really looked back. Yes, even Unity has its own annoyances and bugs, but they usually get addressed in weeks, longest months and new features are added regularly too. And almost no crashes (though perhaps GS ironed that out as well in the years since).

Surprisingly, since GS is supposed to be the no-code drag-drop simple approach, I actually find development in Unity with C# much faster as well, even while having to look up how to do stuff on Google all the time.

The one thing I do miss is the old GS community, but that's sadly a thing of the past, no matter what game engine you use.

@Braydon_SFX said:

I still have a few GS games in the works

Me as well. Some I'm fairly proud of. I'll end up re-coding them in Unity though, most likely -- maybe even make a "how to" video about the process, that could be fun.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,944

@pHghost I'm a very patient person and so I've weathered the slow update cycle okay for years. It's frustrating to not have basic features like a background grid or window size/position memory. But what I couldn't really deal with was the lack of communication for years on the forums. As you said, it was a vibrant community full of some brilliant people but without staff input, it really couldn't survive. I don't know if it was more due to a lack of interest in relating to the customers or a lack of personnel (it's a very small company) but I'm going to be generous and chalk it up to not having enough people to do all of the tasks required. It's a shame because it's my favorite program to use and clearly there are some talented programmers behind the scenes. Brent or whoever is running the show just forgot that there needs to be a @SaladStraightShooter managing the forums or things wither and die.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User