Where are the veterans?

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@adriangomez someone clearly has a chip on their shoulder.

We were all having a nice conversation here. None of us old types in this thread who have left for greener pastures spend any extensive time on these forums extolling the virtues of other engines as far as I'm aware. But @VeiraX asked about where the veterans are, and so some of us answered with where we went and why. That's normal friendly dialogue.

Your vitriol is simply silly.

The reason we still have our accounts and visit the forums now and then is because we care, and have a soft spot for GS and the community, despite everything.

If you want to make a thread about "100 reasons I love GameSalad" go ahead, and I can guarantee you I won't be there trying to convince you otherwise.

I never said Unity is perfect. I was sharing my opinion and experience of moving to a new engine and mentioned that moving to code-based development was much less of a struggle than I thought before I made the leap. That would've been invaluable information for me years ago, because I assumed code was an insurmountable challenge and it simply isn't. So from that perspective your claim that: "Everybody knows what Unity is" isn't strictly true. There are a lot of assumptions about what it is and what it isn't by various people. If you've tried it and don't personally like it, fine! Share that experience. But instead trying to "discredit" Unity by vacuous insinuations about a business that you have no idea about, that's just unnecessary and says nothing about the qualities or shortcomings if the engine itself.

At the end of the day, what I'm mainly challenging is the stranglehold of the opinion that coding is too complicated. It's not as bad as it seems. I'd have thought that being proficient in C# you would see the value in that sentiment.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
  • RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

I'm with @pHghost all the way on this one. A question was asked and answered very reasonably. No need to shew away peeps who clearly love(d) GS over the years. We don't visit these old forums to scoff. Many of us learned important dev principles here. We are interested in the tool's progression, however snail paced.

It seems @adriangomez that you don't enjoy Unity. That's fine. It's certainly not for everyone. I will emphasize the point about coding and its perceived difficulty. I learned C# from a few Udemy courses, YouTube tutorials, and practice. After +18 months or so I was at the point where I could build almost anything I could think of. I'm now +36 months in and about to start real life dev job (yay)! There's a freedom and power that Unity gives that GS cannot deliver. GS is powerful, no doubt, but there's no denying the multiyear stagnation.

Hey! Hope you are well. Congrats on the dev job! Is it game related?

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

G'day guys,

Good to see familiar names from the days or yore.

I was very proud of the final Game Salad game I made... but I was quite sad that the HTML5 output never worked consistently with the main version, and that it also didn't have Windows game output. Always too many bugs and frustrations, overall. Also, I don't think I vibe with working in the mobile games sector. Not really my thing.

"B-Grade Renegade: Race to the Rocket"

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsE_wG7HNZs

I'm now working in Unity. Released this "7 Day Roguelike Challenge" game a few months back. Good fun if you're into the Quake sort of vibe, and like procedurally generated gameplay. :)

"Broken Signal"

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvYTQU83bo

Download: https://muzboz.itch.io/brokensignal

Feeling more confident with Unity systems, coding in C#, etc. Working on a new game now, a first person immersive story game.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I learned a lot using Game Salad, about how to structure code and data on different objects, etc.

I carry the learnings and memories of my many projects forwards with me.

So I'm thankful for that. :)

Hope you're all doing great. :D

Super stuff! Glad you're still "in the game!" 😎

I remember B-Grade Renegade fondly.

GameSalad was an important foundation for me as well, getting to grips with game logic flow and so. Without it, who knows if I'd be where I am with my Unity coding skills. I guess I'd gravitate towards Unity eventually anyway, because I'm keen to be able to work with 3D (not necessarily for all projects, but still good to have a tool that can cover you in multiple scenarios), which is why I didn't go in the GameMaker Studio direction that some others chose -- @RossmanBrothersGames with Get Me Outta Here, for example.

First person immersive story game sounds good -- also something I'd like to give a try at some point, but first gotta finish the projects on the table. I'm currently working on a procedurally generated turn-based strategy which is a bit of a cross between Civ, Fire Emblem & Warlords.

:) New job will be a mix of front end business applications and game development. I'm stoked. On a fun note, I'll soon release a little game (in the genre of @Hymloe 's - first person puzzler/exploration) and will gift it to this community when it's out.

I too remember loving the style and gameplay of 'B-Grade Renegade: Race to the Rocket'. Nice to catch up with my old dev buddies. Glad to hear people are still out there creating.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited October 2020

Hi guys,

I don't know if you'd call me a veteran, but I was certainly active using GS and posting/reading in the Forums for many years up till a few years ago.

I stopped using GameSalad to concentrate on my graphic design work and novel writing/publishing. But have recently am considering to have another crack at GS....

Nice to see some "old" names in this thread - hope all's well :-)

P.S Surprised to see I'm still a Sous Chef after being absent for years.... that's gotta say something positive about GS admin...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Yeah definitely a soft spot for gamesalad and the old gang.

The fastest game engine in town.

Hey, David! Great to see you here and I hope all is well!

Hi Braydon, great to hear from you! All's well here, thank you, and I hope the same for you. Good to be back! (I'm getting the GS bug again...)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

I’m curious if any here are building not just games but development tools themselves. I remember @Manto created the awesome level editor and others have created project merging tools, custom physics shape utilities, snapping plugins, as well as the awesome database backend capabilities of Appformative, and more.

I was writing a stand alone editor to accompany the GS creator but moved onto other shiny projects. Anyone working on cool dev tools?

Yes! Just got married in July so things are going very well!

Very good to hear from you - and looking forward to seeing you around the forums again!

@Braydon_SFX

That's great to hear you've recently got married, Braydon, congratulations!

Good to hear from you too - I'll certainly be active in the forums again, yes - especially asking questions - I'm very rusty with GS, not having used it for a couple or more years... :-)

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Congratulations @Braydon_SFX !

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

@Armelline can you check your email server. I am trying to contact you for custom work and unable to send email to support@armelline.com error with your MX records. and also unable to send you message via GameSalad forum inbox as GameSalad just times out.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

@Chris Fitsimons fwd the message to him. As an FYI, there's a weird bug with the forum where it looks like sending a DM times out, but if you refresh the page, it's actually been sent.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Hello, nice to be mentioned, I just stopped by tonight for the first time in a long time to see where things were at.

My Son passed away and I pretty much stopped doing everything, especially hobbies. I use to love working with GS and some of the members here. Glad to see things are still moving along. Continued good luck to all.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited November 2020

Surprise ✌️ I know my long neglected youtube channel still gets views. The golden years of discovery were an awesome moment in time. Gamesalad was so close but yet so far.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I’ve checked in over the past few years but the combination of my 2nd child and taking. New job really cut my Dev time down to nothing for a a few years.

I rejoined in feb and have slowly been going through my old games and updating them to get them back on the App Store. It’s been fun.

My biggest disappointment was when they abandoned multiplayer. I had a full working multiplayer game. I was exciting stuff and presented great new possibilities to explore. It would be great if they resurrected it.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058
    edited November 2020

@The_Gamesalad_Guru we shut down the servers earlier last year (they had been sitting around mostly unused), but in between "work" task, I will occasionally release server code that might be helpful in building your own multiplayer. I'd like to resurrect it some day, but it would definitely be a new implementation.

Using what you guys had built worked great and was pretty bug free and easy to use. It really made doing multiplayer approachable in my opinion. I know I was only scratching the surface with my battleship type game. I would definitely use what you had before if you ever revisit it.

• PimanPiman Member, PRO Posts: 165

Well, I made and released my game in 2013 and had a modicum of success (100K downloads across appstores). I am back as I want to re-release a remastered version. I expected GameSalad to allow access to the code and many other things I waited and waited for..

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132
    edited November 2020

@The_Gamesalad_Guru

Have you checked the latest options?

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/612385#Comment_612385

and this: https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/614620#Comment_614620

Knowing your skills from your videos I'm sure you will be able to pull whatever you need with today's server-less options.

Yes I’ve seen those but there is more to a multiplayer structure than transferring tables. With Gamesalad’s Playstogether option there was no need to build out the player tracking systems and code structures to do player code. All the player tracking variables and table player calls and expressions were built in. Everything was integrated seamlessly into how we build out logic in GS. The amount of logic that would need to be built out to replace what was intrinsically available is mind boggling. Which is why there is yet to be a published multiplayer game with GS. I believe I was the only user with a full functioning Multiplayer Game. It was daunting even with the most difficult bits resolved automatically by the Playstogether features. I have a whole series of videos on how I built the game. It’s not easy tracking all the cross logic and avoiding code collisions for 2 players, never mind 8.