Official GameSalad Cookbook Video Tutorials

msonesmsones Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 75
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey Everyone!

We're in the process of uploading new video tutorials. Soon these will all be available directly from the GameSalad website along with text & screenshot walkthroughs as part of rolling out the new GameSalad Cookbook, but in the meantime you can see them all at the GameSalad Cookbook Youtube channel.

Check it out! We've got a long list of tutorials we're still planning on making, but if there's a specific topic you'd like to see covered please let us know in this thread, and we'll do our best to get some instructions up as soon as possible.

Already up:

Welcome to GameSalad
Overview of GameSalad Basics
Creating New Actors in GameSalad
Creating & Altering Scenes
GameSalad Rules tutorial
Importing Images
Importing Sounds
Autorotate Tutorial
Accelerate Tutorial
Gravity Tutorial
Publishing Tutorial
Working with Music in GameSalad
GameSalad Layers tutorial
Working with Scenes: X&Y Wrapping
Changing a Scene’s Color & Size
Change & Reset Scenes in GameSalad
Detecting if your actor is moving
Distance between Actors
Working with an Actor in a Scene
Recycling Actors in GameSalad
Using Replicate in GameSalad
Spawning Actors in GameSalad
Spawning Random Actors
Actor Attributes
Actor Constraints in GameSalad
Loading and Saving Attributes in GameSalad
Attributes in GameSalad
On & Off Buttons in GameSalad
Generating Random Numbers
GameSalad Camera Controls -
Using Replicate in GameSalad
Using Tags in GameSalad
Collisions & Walls in GameSalad
Drag & Drop
Creating a Health Bar
Using Rotate & Spawn (pt 1)
Rotate & Spawn pt 2 -
Multiscreen Menus pt 1
Multiscreen Menus pt 2
Multiscreen Menus pt 3
Scorekeeping pt 1
Scorekeeping pt 2
Scorekeeping pt 3
Scorekeeping pt 4
Shaking in GameSalad
Using Swipe in GameSalad
Registering with Apple
Viewer Tutorial
Creating a Blast Effect
Instantly Resetting a Scene
Platform-style movement controls
Throwing an object
Targeting History system
Spawning Random Actors in Random Locations
Using Particles for Special Effects
Thrust effect & movement (Moonlander-style)
Drawing Lines
Constraining one actor to a specific point on another actor
Cool Screen-shake effect
Camera movement (following the mouse in large scenes)

Comments

• RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Great to see a viewer tutorial on there, lots of people have been asking for one. Should be a great help. Cheers
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    Looks Great!! Can't wait to see some Advanced Math tuts! Thanks!
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    excellent, look forward to the vids
  • THRSTNTHRSTN Member Posts: 178
    Good news everyone
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    Very Nice, Thank You!
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    It would be nice for an overview of behaviours and the order they process. How timers work and best practice on using them. For example, is there ways we use things which can cause memory creep because things are looping in timers? Or events like timers running to completion which could prevent an actor destroy from releasing memory?

Just a thought as we would be able to plan our rule layout in a more structured way.
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Member Posts: 602
    Please come up with an idea on how to copy a scene from one project to another project.

By the way, your button "Subscribe To Topic via Email" is still NOT working.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    JoeMeister said:
    Please come up with an idea on how to copy a scene from one project to another project.

By the way, your button "Subscribe To Topic via Email" is still NOT working.

pretty sure you can do that now by selecting the scene then copy from the menu and going to the other project and clicking in side the scene area and selecting paste.
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    yes you can do this, but it won't import any global attributes you are using, you would just need to recreate them. think scene attributes are imported tho!
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    ditto
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    The autorotate video needs to be fixed. It says that you need to check both left and right of that orientation, but that is only for ipad. For iphone you get to choose your autorotate how you want it
  • strangealienstrangealien Member Posts: 40
    I know I already posted about my particular problem today - but a tutorial on how to do scrolling menus like in izam's "cookie baker". I emailed the user, but haven't had a response yet as to how they did their wonderful scrolling items menu where you can select things...well I thought it was good. Would be great to know how they did it. An easy to follow tutorial would be great. Though from what I understand, this isn't an easy thing to create.
    Maybe also a tutorial on image sizes, resolutions and actors, since going through the forum posts on understanding these issues still seem to be daunting for some users (including myself).
  • msonesmsones Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 75
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! Tshirtbooth and I have been working together to get these up as quickly as possible, and I'm pleased to point out we now have 25 tutorials up on the Cookbook Youtube channel. We've got lots more coming, and we'll try to incorporate additional tutorials into our list over the next few months to respond to some of the questions y'all have asked. Please be patient with us as we work to make it easier than ever to learn how to use GameSalad!
    It'd be helpful to know a list of attributes and what they do. I've been looking at the different templates on offer, but without knowing "why" we name something, "game.self" or _____.self , put an expression here or there with ((=1....minMax)) etc (see I don't even know what this is about!) It feels a bit like there is this ocean of attributes that I don't know about. Having signed up for Gamesalad, I feel like I should have some background in javascript or flash or something? Would it be useful to fellow beginners like myself and others to have some tutorials on creating attributes and their functions?
  • devworkstudiosdevworkstudios Member Posts: 1
    The multiscreen menu's video appears to be posted twice. At the end of the video it talks about the next post making the level boxes clickable but I can find no part two with this. I'm probably going nuts though !!!
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Great work TSB, your videos rock and are easy to follow.

Invaluable to new users and i have a feeling we will all learn something from the more advanced ones.

Darren.
    Part 2 is up:

Part 3 coming soon!

StrangeAlien, be sure to check out the following tutorials:
    (GameSalad Attributes)
    (Actor Attributes)

We're hoping to have the Cookbook section of the webpage up in very near future, which will include text walkthroughs and some further explanation of how these attributes work in GameSalad. Hope this helps for now!
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    I love these videos -- they're a wonderful resource!
  • AjBlueAjBlue Member Posts: 215
    i would like a video on the perks of interpolate vs moveable, and how to pool actors for things like bullets and enemies, so we don't have to use spawn and destroy which we all know has some serious memory issues
  • digletodigleto Member Posts: 76
    needs an ad hoc one :)
  • farhan_42000farhan_42000 Member Posts: 7
    hey whats up..ive checked the videos but cant understand the serial of the videos...ive watched welcone to gamesalad overview of gamesalad basics and the publishing videos they are really good..but then all the videos are scrambled...could anyone identify the numbers please it would be very helpful..
    Hey guys,

I realize that the 55+ videos we've got up at the moment are approaching that critical mass where specific videos solving your problem become harder and harder to find. We're working hard on a long-term solution that will be hosted on our website, but in the meantime I'll see if I can't put together a playlist or two on youtube as well as a full list of videos in the first post of this thread. If anyone else has a quick/easy solution feel free to message me!

Mark
  • JolandaJolanda Member Posts: 82
    Can you make an tutorial to make à interactive iPad kids storybook with gamesalade? Thanks for THE video,'s great work!
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    Thanks for all those vids. I hope you know that this is really inspiring. Keep it up! :-)
  • gandgand Member Posts: 54
    msones said:
    I'll see if I can't put together a playlist or two on youtube
    4/5 youtube playlist could be, by the moment, a good solution to watch videos in a sort of chronological order grouped by topics.
  • gandgand Member Posts: 54
    msones said:
    I'll see if I can't put together a playlist or two on youtube as well as a full list of videos in the first post of this thread.

Make a numbered list:
    http://d.pr/4uo2
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    any updates for the videos?
    there isn't any video for a month
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    tshirtbooth said:
    HEy calvin.

My contract with GS is ver for the videos. Im working on new videos now but they will be on GShelper.com

cheers

_________________________________________________________________________________

NEED HELP WITH YOUR PROJECTS? CLICK HERE

Cut the Rope Style menu Template
    NEW Menu System #3 Template
    Menu System #2 Template
    Cover Flow and level unlock Template
    Missile Command Template
    Tiki Totem style template
    Labyrinth Template
    FREE YOUTUBE VIDEOS

so when will gshelper be available?